First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
6k miles no chips !!not even a door scratch!!dam Tacoma was chipped to hell in first two months!!
Sponsored

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Is anyone having issues with paint chips? My Lariat is just over a month old with the tricoat white and every time wash the thing I'm finding more and more paint chips. Been touching them up with a toothpick but it sure is ridiculous.

The paint is super thin and brittle. Really aggravating. Scares me what this thing will look like months and years down the road.

Also want to mention it has nothing to do with driving style... in fact this issue is making me paranoid and afraid to drive close to any cars.

Also note I have ceramic coating on it... not that is makes any difference.
You and me both! I’ve got little chips all over the damn thing.. the first few I found were pretty low and I did take a trip into some woods with some dirt gravelly roads... so I figured eh whatever, got the touch up and fixed it. Later, after a few car washes, I started noticed chips on the hood and door panels that I knew were not there before or due to the road trip I had taken. Kind of disappointed... really don’t want rust issues down the road either.

I’m at about 12k miles and I’ve got the magnetic color.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Is anyone having issues with paint chips? My Lariat is just over a month old with the tricoat white and every time wash the thing I'm finding more and more paint chips. Been touching them up with a toothpick but it sure is ridiculous.

The paint is super thin and brittle. Really aggravating. Scares me what this thing will look like months and years down the road.

Also want to mention it has nothing to do with driving style... in fact this issue is making me paranoid and afraid to drive close to any cars.

Forget it. The paint is the poorest thing on this car. U can make scratches with ur fingernails... Wrap the car nd get happy...

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Enlighten me
Well, if it was the paint, everyone would have the same issue.

Very few have the issue, so.............figure it out.

All cars will have a rock chip or two at some point. No paint will protect from an object at highway speeds.

And even with a few off raid excursions, branches, rocks, etc. I see no issues with the paint.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Oxford White here. Lower bed front edges are looking like they were sandblasted. I figured this would happen eventually. Thought it would take longer than 9,000 miles. At least that's when I noticed it, could have been much sooner. Winters are tough on them, but anyone arguing that the paint isn't worse than it was 20-30 years ago is crazy. This enviro friendly paint is way less durable. I don't drive interstates often. 90% is 2 lane roads @ 55 mph.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Oxford White here - tiny little chips all over! Sucks!

OP
OP

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Oxford White here. Lower bed front edges are looking like they were sandblasted. I figured this would happen eventually. Thought it would take longer than 9,000 miles. At least that's when I noticed it, could have been much sooner. Winters are tough on them, but anyone arguing that the paint isn't worse than it was 20-30 years ago is crazy. This enviro friendly paint is way less durable. I don't drive interstates often. 90% is 2 lane roads @ 55 mph.
I'm in Florida most of the time. My truck has never seen snow. Every time I wash the truck I find more and more chips. Especially along the leading lower edge of the bed. My truck is metallic white.

Last edited:

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you the paint is so thin in the bed of my truck you can see rust spots the size of pin heads, seeing im getting it sprayed soon I really dont care, but damn...

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I can tell you the paint is so thin in the bed of my truck you can see rust spots the size of pin heads, seeing im getting it sprayed soon I really dont care, but damn...
Jake the rust spots you see might be iron stuck in the paint from rail car shipping. They can be easily removed with clay bar and some lube. Good luck Bret

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I am doing gator guard tinted with shadow black on the lower edge of the doors and front of box about a foot up. I have bushwackers on the rockers . Doesn’t look like ford is going to do anything. I will post pictures when completed. I can put 150000 kms on my super duty’s and have never looked as bad as my ranger with 2000 km. I am steamed and have no choice but to look after it myself as I planned on using on logging and oilfield lease roads. I didn’t even have time to get it ceramic coated

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I was checking my oil and guess what a chip on the bottom edge were the hood bends down on the drivers side not in the frontal area. Wouldn't have noticed it except my hand was on it.
Also the rear drivers side door just on the backside of the door handle a elongated scratch since new maybe 11/2 inch long. I think the robots they use do some finish damage and body dents. My 2019 Ram 1500 has a dimple dent about two or three inches under the passenger side mirror can't see it except when the sun glares on it. I know were it is without to much trouble now. The dealership took a pic of it but I never had it fixed as it would take a week to repair it and there is no metal showing so it is protected from rust through. I think that also is robot damage.
I always expect some small cosmetics things from the factory but nothing really major. I have had two Rams that needed paint repair one was a 2000 2500 which I had repaired and one was a 2015 2500 that never was repaired , I think it was a deep cherry red the 2000 was a flame red that was my wives.
Please don't hate me to much for posting flick my Ram 1500 HAAA.
Have a good and wholesome day or evening, whatever it may be.

1024191317a.jpg

20181111_173352.jpg

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
:frown::frown::frown: Soft paint. Easy to buff out scratches, not rock resistant. I ordered some touch up paint and will be tinkering with application and blending of chips. I immediately bought splash guards and think that’s helped as well. About to purchase some bushwacker side rail protectors next. Seems these days manufacturers cutting corners with less paint layers and attention to such. My wife has had a new Acura RDX and new bmw within last two years Both paints seem no better then the ford paint. Maybe it’s the roads in Colorado and surrounding area but chips happen. Just my assessment so far. Every 6 months I fill in the chips.:(

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I am doing gator guard tinted with shadow black on the lower edge of the doors and front of box about a foot up. I have bushwackers on the rockers . Doesn’t look like ford is going to do anything. I will post pictures when completed. I can put 150000 kms on my super duty’s and have never looked as bad as my ranger with 2000 km. I am steamed and have no choice but to look after it myself as I planned on using on logging and oilfield lease roads. I didn’t even have time to get it ceramic coated
Here’s what it will cost me.

Attachments

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

truck seems to be a rock-magnet. and OEM seems thinner than other vehicles I've owned. Be careful if you t/u paint then try to rub-out smooth!
Sponsored