Poor Paint Durability

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I am doing gator guard tinted with shadow black on the lower edge of the doors and front of box about a foot up. I have bushwackers on the rockers . Doesn’t look like ford is going to do anything. I will post pictures when completed. I can put 150000 kms on my super duty’s and have never looked as bad as my ranger with 2000 km. I am steamed and have no choice but to look after it myself as I planned on using on logging and oilfield lease roads. I didn’t even have time to get it ceramic coated
Your dealer won't repaint it? No that it will solve the problem, but they should repaint it, or sub it out to be repainted. I really can't do anything until the weather breaks, so I'm looking at a few months. Hoping dealer will cover it, then I'm going to get creative on some sort of plastic edge guard like my F-150 had. If dealer and/or Ford won't cover it, it'll likely do it myself since it will be getting covered. I had a Nissan once, with many miles on it and it had the blasted look where the fenders bulge out. I sanded and re sprayed with dupli color bed spray. Truck was black, so it turned out looking very much like it came that way. I only had the truck a year after that, but it was looking like the day I put it on.
Sponsored

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Your dealer won't repaint it? No that it will solve the problem, but they should repaint it, or sub it out to be repainted. I really can't do anything until the weather breaks, so I'm looking at a few months. Hoping dealer will cover it, then I'm going to get creative on some sort of plastic edge guard like my F-150 had. If dealer and/or Ford won't cover it, it'll likely do it myself since it will be getting covered. I had a Nissan once, with many miles on it and it had the blasted look where the fenders bulge out. I sanded and re sprayed with dupli color bed spray. Truck was black, so it turned out looking very much like it came that way. I only had the truck a year after that, but it was looking like the day I put it on.
Dealership or ford don’t want to cover it. Ford will not as then they are admitting there is a problem.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
6k miles no chips !!not even a door scratch!!dam Tacoma was chipped to hell in first two months!!
A dam Crow, landed on top of the cab yesterday!!!:confused::confused: I've got two "toe nail" scratches. Its now open season, on Crows:D

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Dealership or ford don’t want to cover it. Ford will not as then they are admitting there is a problem.
Exactly, they are still dealing with class actions from generation 1 aluminum paint issues/failures from past decade. More than likely FoMoCo will tie it up endlessly is court rather thn settle.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
8 months/ 10,000 miles. Driver side. Splash guards were installed in first 2 weeks. Sadly, some 3m clear film would have prevented it (notice how it did not chip where the factory installed stuff was. I'll have to add some raptor like running boards after I get it sprayed. Sad for this to happen so soon. My Hood has 2 small chips (acceptable for a winter with all the anti skid rocks they throw down) and the lower rear edge's of back doors are chipped pretty good too which is disappointing like the bed edges... Hoping I can get Ford to cover it once then I'll protect it like the factory should have on a $40k vehicle. :curse:
AwMDAwL2F0dGFjaG1lbnQub3V0bG9vay5saXZlLm5ldEA4NGRmOWU3Zi1lOWY2LTQwYWYtYjQzNS1hYWFhYWFhYWFhYWEifQ.jpg

Last edited:

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
That's not good at all...sorry 2.7...should be warrantied by the dealer

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
That's not good at all...sorry 2.7...should be warrantied by the dealer
Yeah I'm hoping I can get it covered at least once. We were considering a new Escape, but this has made me a bit gun shy. I baby my vehicles, very meticulous detailing them and this winter hasn't even been bad (as far as roads being treated) and this happened. I had an F-150 prior and aside from the front (painted) bumper being chipped like it was blasted by a shotgun, I was pleased with its paint and that was after 50k. I really like this truck, was planning on keeping it long term, hoping dealer will make this right. Ordering running boards and installing the 3M clear after I get it repainted. If the paint is on my dime, I'll change my plans on trading the wife's car on a new Escape for sure. I'm a Ford guy at heart, but they need to make this right to keep me.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Almost 20k miles, more than a few limbs ran down the side of the truck on trails, and no reasonable issues here. Now the Tacoma I had prior to this truck, that thing would scratch if I looked at it wrong.

ColoRanger

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Mine has seemed to have some chips here and there small ones really. 9,600 miles. Bought it late October ‘19. However yesterday while cleaning it and wiping it down I noticed a pretty significant flake starting to peel. Right at back of cab above bed line. I know nothing I have had in the bed would have hit it. (Had like one or two boxes in the bed since I’ve owned it, being winter months.) it’s a pretty bad start to a peel and could cause some problems. Later on. Will be checking with dealer this week to see what I will be looking at moving forward.

8A8BA9EB-575F-4E9D-A769-614EC739F2D5.jpeg

C6845AF1-9D3E-4AA1-8D94-03BDB6F65F6C.jpeg

7301A900-3243-4FEB-9024-5E3888D2BD8D.jpeg

90873321-233A-4E67-9240-483D00E127FF.jpeg

9A24E164-3C64-4B47-BD2A-733D36303475.jpeg

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has seemed to have some chips here and there small ones really. 9,600 miles. Bought it late October ‘19. However yesterday while cleaning it and wiping it down I noticed a pretty significant flake starting to peel. Right at back of cab above bed line. I know nothing I have had in the bed would have hit it. (Had like one or two boxes in the bed since I’ve owned it, being winter months.) it’s a pretty bad start to a peel and could cause some problems. Later on. Will be checking with dealer this week to see what I will be looking at moving forward.

9A24E164-3C64-4B47-BD2A-733D36303475.jpeg
Whoaa.... That looks like a stress crack coming from below the paint.

ColoRanger

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My thoughts exactly, it’s an odd thing to see. Bad paint adherence, stress, who knows what caused it! Pretty crazy though for under 10k miles.
My 2012 6.7 with 215k on it looked better for paint durability.

Whoaa.... That looks like a stress crack coming from below the paint.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
8 months/ 10,000 miles. Driver side. Splash guards were installed in first 2 weeks. Sadly, some 3m clear film would have prevented it (notice how it did not chip where the factory installed stuff was. I'll have to add some raptor like running boards after I get it sprayed. Sad for this to happen so soon. My Hood has 2 small chips (acceptable for a winter with all the anti skid rocks they throw down) and the lower rear edge's of back doors are chipped pretty good too which is disappointing like the bed edges... Hoping I can get Ford to cover it once then I'll protect it like the factory should have on a $40k vehicle. :curse:
AwMDAwL2F0dGFjaG1lbnQub3V0bG9vay5saXZlLm5ldEA4NGRmOWU3Zi1lOWY2LTQwYWYtYjQzNS1hYWFhYWFhYWFhYWEifQ.jpg
Ugh... that sucks. I'm curious:

Do you have mudflaps on your truck?

Stock wheels and tires or ??
Sponsored