Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Hello,

I am curious how I should approach Ford about this. There seems to be debris under the paint from the factory. I also think there are many others like this so has anyone else experienced this? I know it is "just" a truck but my concern is primarily long term considering they are steel panels.

The truck is a 2021 Ranger XLT Tremor. At the time of purchasing there was a gray Tremor there as well which had this same paint mark on the back end of the left rear fender (near tailgate).

I personally lack trust in body shops and really do not even look forward to them fixing it. I thought I might have spotted one other spot like this but need to wash the vehicle again. Noticed it when drying it.

Thanks

DSC00003_3.JPG

DSC00001_2.JPG

DSC00002_2.JPG
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I think you have a better than 50/50 shot that trying to correct that minor blemish will leave you more dissatisfied than you are now. If the paints not broken I wouldn’t worry about it, but that’s me.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I am curious how I should approach Ford about this. There seems to be debris under the paint from the factory. I also think there are many others like this so has anyone else experienced this? I know it is "just" a truck but my concern is primarily long term considering they are steel panels.

The truck is a 2021 Ranger XLT Tremor. At the time of purchasing there was a gray Tremor there as well which had this same paint mark on the back end of the left rear fender (near tailgate).

I personally lack trust in body shops and really do not even look forward to them fixing it. I thought I might have spotted one other spot like this but need to wash the vehicle again. Noticed it when drying it.

Thanks
When I purchased my truck new I found a bunch of paint defects. Of course this was after I had taken it home and given its firth bath. You never seem to catch these things when buying, but once you get more intimate with the truck you quickly discover things. I had a few spots like yours, but I even found a spot, about the size of a silver dollar on a passenger door where the paint actually "cratered" in. Looked like a piece of swiss cheese.

With my truck being white, Ford Corporate kept asking for different angles of pictures from the dealership. Took like a month for it to get approved. Mine went to a body shop, but it came back fine.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
When I purchased my truck new I found a bunch of paint defects. Of course this was after I had taken it home and given its firth bath. You never seem to catch these things when buying, but once you get more intimate with the truck you quickly discover things. I had a few spots like yours, but I even found a spot, about the size of a silver dollar on a passenger door where the paint actually "cratered" in. Looked like a piece of swiss cheese.

With my truck being white, Ford Corporate kept asking for different angles of pictures from the dealership. Took like a month for it to get approved. Mine went to a body shop, but it came back fine.
Glad it worked out in the end. I am going to point it out on my next service and see what the dealer says.

I am more concerned about the quality I will get. Almost want to take my chances with touch up paint. Some of the paint-less dent repair guys work miracles.

I think you have a better than 50/50 shot that trying to correct that minor blemish will leave you more dissatisfied than you are now. If the paints not broken I wouldn’t worry about it, but that’s me.
Man, that is my exact worry. I expect the shop to say " well to do it right we need to do the whole panel, so we need to remove the bed, blah blah blah" and then get back a poor quality color match.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership wouldn't warranty my paint defect. It looked like small debris painted over.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Dealership wouldn't warranty my paint defect. It looked like small debris painted over.
If you want them to cover it, maybe take it to another dealer? The main worry point I have is that these are steel panels which can rust if this paint ever gets worse. Speaking of that, I need to get some touch up paint for rock chips

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Thanks

DSC00003_3.JPG

DSC00001_2.JPG

DSC00002_2.JPG
I have something like that in that area lower on the panel...except it looks like goose bumps...not noticeable unless you're OCD like me...

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I have something like that in that area lower on the panel...except it looks like goose bumps...not noticeable unless you're OCD like me...
Sheesh is Ford painting these outside or what? lol Yeah I am quite particular. I think the wavy metal stamping is more annoying to me though. The left rear passenger door, near the bottom of the window, the stamping there is wavy and the light through my side mirror catches it just right to remind me every time. From outside the vehicle you can't see it, has to be the right angle.

I am still waiting for that first door ding by some inconsiderate person. Out Honda Pilot has several of them. The worst one broke through the paint. We get some windy gust here and I am just hoping a door got away from someone rather than intentional. It happened at an NHL game and I know I left that person plenty of space too. Had to have messed their car up a bit too.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
What you are asking is like going to a doctor to have a bullet removed, when you’ve been shot, but demanding he get it out with No surgery involved. Sometimes ya just gotta pick the best doc you can and trust them to do their job…

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
What you are asking is like going to a doctor to have a bullet removed, when you’ve been shot, but demanding he get it out with No surgery involved. Sometimes ya just gotta pick the best doc you can and trust them to do their job…
Yeah, I guess I just gotta bite the bullet and hope for the best

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes that’s true. Look at Google reviews, interview your friends family etc, for quality body shops on your area. Also get three estimates for fixing it and whichever one is the most expensive you might go with them.

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I have more than a few of the same spots, even a few small paint bubbles. I've chosen to ignore them...for now.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I have more than a few of the same spots, even a few small paint bubbles. I've chosen to ignore them...for now.
Bummer, yeah the quality of the paint and what seems to be super thin door panels are a little disappointing, especially when some of these models break past $40k. As a whole I really love the darn truck and hope it lasts well past the 100k mile mark without any major problems but paint is always a pain to correct.

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
This is on the lower passenger door. I just noticed it this weekend after cleaning. I’ve had my truck about 3 weeks. Would this be covered under warranty? I know it’s difficult to see in a picture.

5ABBA9FE-15AF-4D1A-B7E0-92F993DF8D62.jpeg

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
This is on the lower passenger door. I just noticed it this weekend after cleaning. I’ve had my truck about 3 weeks. Would this be covered under warranty? I know it’s difficult to see in a picture.

5ABBA9FE-15AF-4D1A-B7E0-92F993DF8D62.jpeg
I would hope it is covered by warranty. I never complained about mine because of the lack of confidence the job would get done right. That is a little larger than mine though.
Sponsored