Phone mount suggestions? Products, and placement in the truck?

OP
OP
Aragorn

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
I finally got the new pro clip mount and have it installed. I have it all the way to the right and from the driver seat I can still see the whole screen. The settings button. Is a little harder to get to, but overall it works really well. I keep forgetting to take a picture but I'll try and post one soon. It's a pretty sold mount and seems like it's as good a spot as anyone else has found.
Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing a picture.
Sponsored

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
Neat. Thanks for sharing. Won’t that block the display screen, though?
I have the same ProClip holder mounted on the right side. Most of the time I’m using CarPlay, so I turn the phone 90 degrees (landscape) and the dash screen isn’t blocked for me or my navigator. ProClip makes great stuff but it’s not cheap.

biohazard0157

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Here's the view from the driver's seat. Most of the screen is visible and it works pretty well. Only complaint is the cost. It's definitely not a cheap solution!

IMG-20201122-WA0004.jpg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on using a Scosche magnetic charging mount. Will post details when I figure it out.

Last edited:

hkusptac

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
I found it pretty frustrating that there is no stock mount for a phone or atleast a clip of some sort, must be for safety reasons. I picked up a universal cup holder mount from the dollar store until I find a viable solution

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
Here's my solution for other's that have an iPhone. I wanted a solution that utilized the MagSafe feature of the new generation of iPhones instead of a clamp or an elaborate arm. I bought a mount on amazon that would hold the phone as high as possible away from blocking the vent. Mount Link Here.

Then I routed the cable behind the vent and down through the dash. The cable perfectly pokes out down below next to the 12v outlet so I can plug it in to an 18w fast charging port. Yes - I still have to plug into USB when I want to use CarPlay. But I plan on getting a wireless CarPlay adapter that I can just leave plugged in down near the USB tray so I won't have any wires. It's not perfect - you can see the cable routing creates a mm or so of extra panel gap in the vent. And it does block a few slats of vent air. But the Apple MagSafe charger holds the phone perfectly, and has not fallen off under any driving conditions.

IMG_7963.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_2935.JPEG

Last edited:

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Mine would just be a picture of my phone upside down in one of the cup holders.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
For about 4 years I’ve used the Nite Ize Steelie magnet system. Magnet sticks on the back of the phone case with a supplied 2-sided disc. Steel ball sticks to dash with another supplied 2-sided disc. (Or get their steel ball with a clamp for vent, which I’ve used in borrowed or rental cars. I keep that one in my backpack). Easy to move the stuck-on ball to a new vehicle by garrotting through the old disc with fishing line. The old disc cleans off the dash nicely. They sell packets of the 2-sided sticky discs. I mounted a ball on the boat helm station too. Very simple and handy. Just don’t get the magnet near a pacemaker.

Looks like they have a new system with no magnet on the phone:
https://www.amazon.ca/Nite-Ize-Stee...ywords=nite+ize+steelie&qid=1608197808&sr=8-1

update: I got the new system. Works great. Just a thin metal disk on the phone back now instead of a thick little magnet.
4F291459-A103-4161-B6AD-69180FB25E63.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffsmith13

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt supercrew 4x4 iconic silver
Occupation
Railroad engineer
Anyone been off-road with any of these mounts ? I’m not sure if these mounts would keep a secure hold on the phone , with the exception of the Ram mount maybe.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
Anyone been off-road with any of these mounts ? I’m not sure if these mounts would keep a secure hold on the phone , with the exception of the Ram mount maybe.
The iPhone on the Nite Ize Steelie mount has been very secure on the boat in rough seas and pounding runs

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've been using this for the past few years and love how easily it operates. One hand load and release.
https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Dashboard-Windshield-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B076B27WP6

I had no issues mounting it in my Focus. I have (had) a second one in the now traded in Santa Fe.
The Ranger doesn't provide a flat suffface for the 3m pad to stick so I'll need to get something for that dash top storage pocket. ( I liked that metal bracket that a previous poster used.

For now I have it suction cupped to the windshield just below and to the passenger side of the mirror. Fits well and doesn't block my forward view. I'm just a little wary of suction on glass due to change of season temp changes.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Mine would just be a picture of my phone upside down in one of the cup holders.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I leave mine in the cup holder, in the tray under the Cig Lighters*, or in the gap next to the E-Brake handle (aka - Drift-O-Matic 6000). I'm not exactly sure why I would need access to my phone in the truck any way. The cable reproduces my apps on the screen via Apple Car Play and any app that doesn't work on Car Play isn't really one I need.

I'd imagine by the next time I get a truck we'll have a wireless charging spot somewhere in the center console. Maybe like a slot you can slide the phone into so it is quasi protected and then magnetically retained in with just about 3/4 of an inch protruding to get your grip on. And Bluetooth support for Apple Car Play. So just by the very nature of your phone being with in 10 feet of your car.

Then again, as I age, the needs and responsibilities that required me to have a phone on me at all times have started to wane. I'll probably ditch the cell all together by the time I buy another truck. I can sit in my rocker and tell kids to get off my lawn.

Note * Yes kids use to be you could light a smoke off of those things and they are that size because it accommodates a cigar and then people would smoke in their car.
Sponsored