Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great thread giving real world examples as to why adding a front end level for purely aesthetic reasons may not a good idea. It may be good to add additional clearance for off roading, but you've compromised the ability of the vehicle to carry a load.
I installed helper springs on a '95 Dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel to assist with hauling my fifth wheel. Over time they started to deform the stock springs. I ended up removing them and buying a bigger truck.
Well, not fully. The truck still maintains its load capacity. Nothing changed in the rear. Yes, the front end is higher, but the load capacity hasn't changed. Aesthetically, it doesn't look as good. A little, very little weight is taken off the steer wheels.

The crux of the problem is the relatively light-weighted-ness of the rear suspension. It can do the job of carrying load. It can go off road. But it can't really withstand carrying a load off road.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Someone mentioned adding a helper spring. Are you thinking of an airbag-helper spring or a leaf-helper spring?
I've got the leaf helpers waiting to go on my truck!

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The one broken spring I saw was completely stock. But, it sounds like the driver was trying hard launches with his Ranger...
The spring was stock.. but what about the rest of the truck? The shock in the photo isn't stock, is it?

Broken Leaf Spring.jpg

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
:shock:

What makes these so spendy? That's virtually double the OME price.
I had these springs in my last truck. At first I winced at the cost. After riding them for years I had no doubts anymore why they cost what they did. I also got a 750lb boost in carry weight!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The spring was stock.. but what about the rest of the truck? The shock in the photo isn't stock, is it?

Broken Leaf Spring.jpg
No, you're right and good eye. But the rear Eibach shocks are a direct replacement for stock. They neither add or take away from the height of the truck.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No, you're right and good eye. But the rear Eibach shocks are a direct replacement for stock. They neither add or take away from the height of the truck.
But based on the valving the shock uses, it can change the loads the springs see.

I do find it interesting to see that Ford has changed the leaf spring arrangement on the Tremor model to more classic multi-leaf design
In the late 60's, early 70's, GM was putting mono-leaf and multi-leaf springs on the same model cars, based on which powertrain was purchased.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I do find it interesting to see that Ford has changed the leaf spring arrangement on the Tremor model to more classic multi-leaf design
I was going to mention that. I'm still looking at the OME rear springs. Maybe after I ppick up my camper this Summer. We'll see.

Reactions: Doc

Barefootmoney1969

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician
I do have a set of Ford Performance Fox 2.0 rear shocks with very low miles for sale.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Has anyone installed basic helper springs and did it effect the unloaded ride? After I installed my Ford/Fox 2.0 level kit the front is about 3/4 of an inch higher, It's not a huge differnce, but after tossing in two 80 pound sand bags for winter driving the rear sagged about 3/4 of an inch. This made me wonder how much higher the front will get when I put 2-300 punds back there this summer for various camping trips. Anyhow, I figured helper springs may be a solution to keep the truck as level as possible, however most of the time I'm unloaded and dont want the day to day ride to be effected.
Sponsored