Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed basic helper springs and did it effect the unloaded ride? After I installed my Ford/Fox 2.0 level kit the front is about 3/4 of an inch higher, It's not a huge differnce, but after tossing in two 80 pound sand bags for winter driving the rear sagged about 3/4 of an inch. This made me wonder how much higher the front will get when I put 2-300 punds back there this summer for various camping trips. Anyhow, I figured helper springs may be a solution to keep the truck as level as possible, however most of the time I'm unloaded and dont want the day to day ride to be effected.
I spoke with someone whose done the AutoSpring add-a-leaf kit this morning and he showed me some before and after pics with his truck under a load. His truck was noticibly sagged out in the rear with a utility trailer with a UTV loaded up with the stock suspension. With the add-a-leaf, it was still sitting high in the rear. And he said he had to flip the hitch.

As for ride; I've heard some people say it rides a little stiffer, and I've heard people say it rides better. Makes me worried that I may love it or hate it when I get mine installed.
Sponsored

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
I spoke with someone whose done the AutoSpring add-a-leaf kit this morning and he showed me some before and after pics with his truck under a load. His truck was noticibly sagged out in the rear with a utility trailer with a UTV loaded up with the stock suspension. With the add-a-leaf, it was still sitting high in the rear. And he said he had to flip the hitch.

As for ride; I've heard some people say it rides a little stiffer, and I've heard people say it rides better. Makes me worried that I may love it or hate it when I get mine installed.
Thats pretty much what I'm thinking. Trial by fire.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

Almost makes me wonder why not move to air suspension when all is said and done.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know if this has ever been said, but, sir, you REALLY know your shit. I’m thankful you’re on this site. :)
I don't know if you know. But this guy was THE GUY who helped engineer the first FX4.

Barefootmoney1969

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician
I have been kicking that around in my brain as well. Seems like a ton of adjustability in response to load.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Someone on here installed bigger bump stops and said even weighted and bottomed out on the the ride was good. Similar to air but a step down.
Sumo springs?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Does the new ranger run parabolic springs? And if so, would the old way of running traditional springs, be different for a spring that act and handle differently than the old traditional spring.

Barefootmoney1969

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician
I added the ICON leaf pack. Great addition to ride quality. Also quality at ICON seems top notch. I had Deavers on my ZR2. Rusted and squeaked terribly after 1 NE winter. ICON quality seems much better.

MIRangerfam

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Construction and Bartender
Installing 1000lb SumoSprings today!! I’ll post some pics and information once I get it!

Btw, currently have maxtrac 2.5” spacer in the front and RC N3 shocks in the rear. ——Maxtrac came with a bracket for a diff drop, still not sure if I’ll do that or not. If I do, I’ll probably purchase the BDS—— I was expecting this spacer to make it level, but adding a decked drawer system and a couple hundred lbs of tools left me with a constant 1” squat… So… I just ordered Fox 2.0’s for the front. The SumoSprings will be paired with BDS shackles and Bilstein 5160’s for the rear. If this still leaves me unsatisfied, I’ll most likely go OME leaf springs. But, I’m thinking that this should help get me get to a point that I’m happy (level to 1/2” rake with comfortable, firm suspension). I won’t ever Baja it, but will have a constant nag to adjust if it’s too bouncy or simply too harsh. Anyone in a modern Ranger deserves that!

The Fox’s have a 10-12 week delay to ship… but it could be worse, I guess. It’ll give me a chance to install, analyze, and understand each change along the way.

Last edited:

Rammstein

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL, FX4
Occupation
Outdoor Recreation Planner
Installing 1000lb SumoSprings today!! I’ll post some pics and information once I get it!
Good luck with your new SumoSprings! I'll be curious to hear how you like them. I have a set of the 1,000 pound SumoSprings sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I contacted SuperSprings International and explained that I am going to be getting a 1,000 pound Scout Camper Yoho, slide-in truck camper but want to maintain articulation for off-road use. They recommended the 1,000 pound SumoSprings over the 1,500 pounders since I want to maintain off-road articulation.

Next week I'm installing Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT 265/70R17 tires and want to drive on them for a while to see how the ride changes before installing the SumoSprings. Yoho isn't supposed to be ready until February, so I'm not in a hurry. Sounds like you are in a similar situation waiting on Fox.

MIRangerfam

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Construction and Bartender
Good luck with your new SumoSprings! I'll be curious to hear how you like them. I have a set of the 1,000 pound SumoSprings sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I contacted SuperSprings International and explained that I am going to be getting a 1,000 pound Scout Camper Yoho, slide-in truck camper but want to maintain articulation for off-road use. They recommended the 1,000 pound SumoSprings over the 1,500 pounders since I want to maintain off-road articulation.

Next week I'm installing Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT 265/70R17 tires and want to drive on them for a while to see how the ride changes before installing the SumoSprings. Yoho isn't supposed to be ready until February, so I'm not in a hurry. Sounds like you are in a similar situation waiting on Fox.
Sorry for the delayed response… I’m in a very similar situation! It ended up being rainy on Sunday and my girlfriend got the day off, so I put off the install til today. Just got done with my test drive for the SumoSprings. They just make barely make contact with my standard weight, so didn’t fix any sag unfortunately. I’ll end up just matching the front height to the rear once I get my coilovers.

The rear feels firmer actually, but LESS harsh. The RC N3 shocks helped, but once I was into the bumpstop it got harsh quickly. The SumoSprings dial it down and take the edge off. Even more noticeable is when hitting something unevenly- I was actually intentionally hitting large potholes and grinning- or large speed bumps. I would 100% do this again on any truck that’s not bagged.

I have 265/70r17s on and once I add the BDS shackles maybe I’ll make a spacer to compensate for the change to keep this amount of contact. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. ??‍♂ Very happy overall with the rear end now. Now it’s a waiting game for the front!
B6B7A0C1-E419-4606-A570-125F8E99FD6A.jpeg
FB05D2DA-0B6E-4E87-98EE-06ED2E893C16.jpeg

Rammstein

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL, FX4
Occupation
Outdoor Recreation Planner
I would 100% do this again on any truck that’s not bagged.
Thanks for the follow up and pix! That is great to hear that you think you are happy with the SumoSprings and that they are much better than factory bump stops for big hits. Too bad they don't take care of your sag. I'm hoping that they solve any potential sag issues I will have when I drop the 1,000 pound ScoutCamper Yoho in the bed sometime in February.

I just noticed that SumoSprings is having a 25% off sale. Too late for you and I, but hopefully someone else out there in Ranger5G land can take advantage!
Sponsored