Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry if this has already been covered here, but I was wondering who all has had issues with their rear leaf springs. I've developed a fear of these things folding or straight up breaking on me! I personally know two people who have had their leaf spring flatten. One of those guys was running an Eibach 1" block and it started to fold up slightly around it. He replaced his factory leaf springs with a set of OEM (Not OME) Ford Ranger leaf springs with an AutoSpring helper leaf on each. He's now running Deaver Springs leaf springs and he'll probably never have another problem back there. I actually have his OEM springs with the AutoSpring helpers sitting in my garage waiting to go onto my truck to take some of the reverse rake I'm seeing out of the back of my ride. (I'm running Eibachs front and rear with the front set to 3.75" with 3.5" of lift realized.) I personally know one other person who had their rear flatten out and now they're running OME. I've seen yet another on Facebook that actually broke a leaf on his truck after an attempted hard launch.

So, with how my truck is set up, lifted 3.5" up front, with a bed rack with roof top tent out back, and gear, and a boat trailer; I'm wondering how long I've got on my factory leaf packs. Even with a help spring eventually to be installed, I'm a bit nervous!
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
With the trailer tongue weight, how much weight is on the rear. Sounds overloaded.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Iā€™m calling operator error, sorry but Iā€™ve never heard anyone having issues and Iā€™ve loaded my truck down pretty hard and no issues. I also have zero mods done to my rear suspension. Sounds like maybe all the trucks that you are saying has issues has rear suspension mods?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry if this has already been covered here, but I was wondering who all has had issues with their rear leaf springs. I've developed a fear of these things folding or straight up breaking on me! I personally know two people who have had their leaf spring flatten. One of those guys was running an Eibach 1" block and it started to fold up slightly around it. He replaced his factory leaf springs with a set of OEM (Not OME) Ford Ranger leaf springs with an AutoSpring helper leaf on each. He's now running Deaver Springs leaf springs and he'll probably never have another problem back there. I actually have his OEM springs with the AutoSpring helpers sitting in my garage waiting to go onto my truck to take some of the reverse rake I'm seeing out of the back of my ride. (I'm running Eibachs front and rear with the front set to 3.75" with 3.5" of lift realized.) I personally know one other person who had their rear flatten out and now they're running OME. I've seen yet another on Facebook that actually broke a leaf on his truck after an attempted hard launch.

So, with how my truck is set up, lifted 3.5" up front, with a bed rack with roof top tent out back, and gear, and a boat trailer; I'm wondering how long I've got on my factory leaf packs. Even with a help spring eventually to be installed, I'm a bit nervous!
Hi John,

The OEM spring has gone through quite a bit of testing to ensure its durability, but that is in a stock configuration. I have seen in the past where riser blocks put significant torque on the spring seat area and lead to failure. When you mod your suspension you are in uncharted, untested arenas.

An OEM spring that flattened out is hopefully replaceable under warranty. Wonder if this concern will bubble up like the start up shudder did... Right now it seems to be a few instances with questionable history...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Hi John,

The OEM spring has gone through quite a bit of testing to ensure its durability, but that is in a stock configuration. I have seen in the past where riser blocks put significant torque on the spring seat area and lead to failure. When you mod your suspension you are in uncharted, untested arenas.

An OEM spring that flattened out is hopefully replaceable under warranty. Wonder if this concern will bubble up like the start up shudder did... Right now it seems to be a few instances with questionable history...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I donā€™t know if this has ever been said, but, sir, you REALLY know your shit. Iā€™m thankful youā€™re on this site. :)

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Hi John,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This.
I have lifted my trucks, jeeps, etc for decades, and will NEVER use a block. Phil is spot on as the broken leafs i've seen at the ORV parks and race courses have deformation at the point of contact to the block, and in the broken instances at the block as well.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I'm nominating Phil for Lifetime Resident-Engineer-In-Chief for ALL Ford Online Forums and if it get's me any points Sexiest Man Alive in the Straight-Man Hall of Fame.

Happy Monday to you ALL.
its like 7F here today and officially colder than a witch's T*T.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With the trailer tongue weight, how much weight is on the rear. Sounds overloaded.
If your asking about my setup and the trailer tongue weight, I'm not overloaded. Just improperly lifted! Had I not leveled my truck, my trailer would have sagged my rear a touch and I would be level. But I leveled my truck, and now when my truck has weight on the rear, it sags it lower than the front. I'm towing a 2000lb 18.5' bow rider boat. I aim to correct this condition before I town again with the AutoSpring add-a-leaf kit that will give me 1.5" of rear lift and increases my load capacity 700lbs.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This.
I have lifted my trucks, jeeps, etc for decades, and will NEVER use a block. Phil is spot on as the broken leafs i've seen at the ORV parks and race courses have deformation at the point of contact to the block, and in the broken instances at the block as well.
The one broken spring I saw was completely stock. But, it sounds like the driver was trying hard launches with his Ranger...

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The common denominator I'm seeing that concerns me is the off road use causing issues.

To be clear, I will not be running a rear block. I will be running a helper spring.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My old Ranger I replaced the leaf springs with ones that increased the load bearing weight by 750 lbs combi. Never did anything to the rear axle knowing this was the new weak link in all of it. So, there are other options just have to realize your limits.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
The common denominator I'm seeing that concerns me is the off road use causing issues.

To be clear, I will not be running a rear block. I will be running a helper spring.
If cost is an issue, do the ome leafpack. I run the apg/deaver hds, but the omes will give you a good high percentage of the performance at a lower price. More articulation than stock, too. Much more compliant ride, both and off road. No loose handling on washboards, and more benefits over just a helper spring

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

I think this may be what you are looking for. https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/apg-hd-progressive-leaf-spring-kit/
Sponsored