Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Full disclosure - I have wheeled my 4x4 ranger in the dirt. At some point I'm sure I achieved full articulation or compression.

I was getting new tires on the Ranger the other day and while I was watching them pull the wheels off at Discount Tire I noticed two things:

1. Our rear leaf-springs - Just one spring? Not a pack of springs? And looking a wee bit on the skinny side too. I mean, I know this is a Mid Sized Truck and all and the rear payload is only 1800lbs, but I thought for sure we would get more than just one leaf. Oh well... If it works, It works,. It just seemed odd.

2. Rear Bump-Stops - and possibly the bigger concern. It has been at least 4 car washes and maybe four of five drives in the rain since the car has been off the paved tarmac. When they pulled the wheel off, the wheel well was covered in a fine haze of dirt. Everything had a nice even coating on it - except one part... It was where the bumps stop contacts the top of the leaf-spring over the axle. Polished clean from contacting the bump-stop. Is it possible that the truck is hitting the bump stop coming in and out of parking lots or going over speed bumps (slowly)? That would be the only on road circumstance I could think of where the back suspension could potentially move enough to cause the axle to kiss the bump-stop. Or were these obtained off-road and just never disappeared with the hazy rain dirt?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The reason you only see one leaf spring per side is because it is known as a parabolic leaf spring. They have their ups and downs it is already proven by science and are part of why the ranger has such a high carrying capacity was just one leaf. Now I myself did change out the Leafs for a leaf pack from old man emu when I did the lift kit from them. Did it improve ride quality? Yes it did but at the cost at the spring is a little bit softer but then again it also has way more travel for the lift. Are you hitting the bump stops when going in and out of a parking lot? I highly doubt it because it takes a lot to get those Springs to go down like that with the exception of going off road and making articulation happen.