First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Have the people of this forum come to a concensus on what is the best oil catch can and easiest to use?
The consensus on the other forums I am on is that the UPR catch cans are one of the very best you can get.

I had one on my Ecoboost Mustangs for 6 years and it never gave me a problem. I especially liked the braided hoses with factory style quick connects.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
"had much in it". That is past tense. So, it sounds like you don't find them useful even though it's capturing something.
Since I have them installed on 2 of my vehicles it would be easy to say "the're great" in the early days of gdi there were stories of bmw for one needing walnut blasting, you don't hear that much anymore, there have been improvements in gdi - less soot, etc. And the Ranger has an oil separator that appears to work well. Know a mechanic who has seen a number of intake valves on higher mileage (100k +) gdi engines and they do have hardened deposits on the intakes but he hasn't seen that having much impact on the engine operation . So perhaps useful, perhaps a waste of $200+ .
As engines age though most will see increases in blow by so likely some degree of usefulness.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired

Don't want to stir the pot but I find this interesting. A '18 2.3 with just a little more than 45k miles on it needs intake valve cleaning already and supposedly there's 2 catch cans hooked up to the motor
Who knows what the story is, was it getting fed with a steady diet of a quality gas?
Was the owner up on his/her oil changes?
Did the owner install the catch cans late in the game- even though that's fairly low miles.
I don't plan on putting one in mine

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4

Don't want to stir the pot but I find this interesting. A '18 2.3 with just a little more than 45k miles on it needs intake valve cleaning already and supposedly there's 2 catch cans hooked up to the motor
Who knows what the story is, was it getting fed with a steady diet of a quality gas?
Was the owner up on his/her oil changes?
Did the owner install the catch cans late in the game- even though that's fairly low miles.
I don't plan on putting one in mine
Well that's an RS so I guess running premium won't fix it. Is there some kind of additive that can be used to clean the valves? Walnut blasting every 45k is ridiculous.

Ace

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I still have this thing from when I first installed my Mishimoto catch can. It's a reminder of how much a pain in the f*!&#%^ a@#$ cheekz it was to install. Might turn it into an ornament later so the Install gods would appreciate my hard work.

20220826_131257.jpg

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I will once I can get a better idea where hose fittings are located. Dark blurry pics don't help much.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
before install

goodhand.jpg

after install
hands.jpg

but hey my intakes might be clean or should I say they better damn well be clean .

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The consensus on the other forums I am on is that the UPR catch cans are one of the very best you can get.

I had one on my Ecoboost Mustangs for 6 years and it never gave me a problem. I especially liked the braided hoses with factory style quick connects.
UPR's hoses and connectors are superior to even Mishimoto's it seems.

I like the Mishi mounting bracket but I think the filter medium and second vacuum port puts the UPR first for those who want one.

All of them except the JLT are a literal pain to install.

Reactions: Ace

Ace

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
UPR's hoses and connectors are superior to even Mishimoto's it seems.

I like the Mishi mounting bracket but I think the filter medium and second vacuum port puts the UPR first for those who want one.

All of them except the JLT are a literal pain to install.
How is a JLT different? Don't you have to tap into the same PCV valve? Not very familiar with JLT that's all.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
How is a JLT different? Don't you have to tap into the same PCV valve? Not very familiar with JLT that's all.
JlT (at least when I first looked at it) had you disconnect one end of the factory hose and insert a fitting. You only had to struggle with one manifold connection.

Reactions: Ace