Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I'd say a combination, but I would think the miles has a lot to do with it as it should be fully broken in by now.
My opinion is humidity and temperature. I’m at 12k miles and so far it seems to be temperature dependent.
Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I saw some post a reply regarding the CC after a tune not catching much. Figured I’d throw my Pennies in it. So 82k miles and into alcohol bottle #2.
back in Nov of 22, I bit the bullet and bought a tuner (bully dog 91 oct). Since then the build up in my can had significantly dropped. I still get the condensation and some carbon but no where near what it was.
For those who are on the fence, go watch the vids of Walnut blasting valves or just the numerous vids mechanics have posted of Ford DI engines and their valves. Worth every penny

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Anyone willing want to prove their catch can is working with a little test? Looking for a catch can owner near 30-40k miles willing to take off their intake manifold and peek into the intake valves? This is what 36k miles with no catch can looks like. I want to have some additional data for comparisons. I want to answer the long question of, "HOW effective is a catch can in reality and is it worth the effort?"
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg

After walnut blasting
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Some additional info from a user on another forum, hes trying to find me pictures from 6 years ago atm.

"So coming from a focus st and the 3.5 ecoboost world many years ago this was a large problem. In college with my st we did a test of diffrent things and catch cans seemed to do minimal for carbon buildup. The only thing besides walnut blasting we found to work is to run water meth injection which cleaned the valves in 3 gallons so about 2 months and then maintained it. Definitely not for everyone but if your wanting to add some performance to its a great choice"

And someone else told me that is mostly vapor/oil sludge as how wet it is. this is 90k miles of actual carbon build up. Thus, it seems catch can works great for vapor/sludge but not carbon build up.
1675124712097.png

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I think there was the suggestion that after so many miles the catch can wouldn't collect as much crap as the engine would be fully broken in. I don't have a pic but at nearly 30K miles mine just puked up a disgusting amount of milkshake. ?

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I think there was the suggestion that after so many miles the catch can wouldn't collect as much crap as the engine would be fully broken in. I don't have a pic but at nearly 30K miles mine just puked up a disgusting amount of milkshake. ?
With my Focus ST, i ran a couple catch cans on it. I would find it pretty clean during the summer months, but once the weather cooled off i would regularly grab a few ounces of milkshake...The ranger seems to do about the same for me.

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
Think oil is another element to factor in regards to oil being recirculated by the PCV system. In my experience I've had best results with Rotella T6 5W-40 in both Ecoboosts I've owned. Any other brand of oil and it reeks of fuel and is diluted to the consistency of water by 3-4000miles. Typically change every 5k, longest interval with RT6 has been around 7800, the oil viscosity seemed typical(thick/tacky), smelled of exhaust, decided to send off a sample to Blackstone and they reported back, forget exact language used, basically everything looked good and try driving "X" miles more.

On another note, has anyone experimented with a breather plate? Not sure how I feel about them, understand the theory, my concerns would be not evacuating gases and pressures in the crankcase fast enough.

https://www.mountuneusa.com/Breather-Plate-Ford-Ecoboost-2-0L-And-2-3L-p/2363-obp-aa.htm

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
This is my collected goo from my 2020 Ranger since purchased new in Aug 2020. The last 1800 miles was over this winter including two 600 miles trips. One little rain, the other clear. Temps were ~35F on both trips.

The bottom appears to be oil, the creamy delicious stuff in the center appears to be water/oil mix (a good guess based upon what happens to oil when a headgasket leaks from a water jacket into the oil), top appears to be unburnt fuel (smells like it anyway).

It collects much faster in high humidity cold weather.

I rarely check it in the summer, but buildup is quite fast in the winter. I've had the UPR can fill in a week!

As an aside I replaced the baffle oil O ring with a zip tie (the O ring functions as a retaining ring holding the top baffle plate down against the baffle. The zip tie is also loosening up over time (expanding). I'm going with a stainless steel crimp ring the next time I have it apart. I'll use the retaining ring at the bottom to take it apart to clean it. Why UPR didn't use a retaining clip on the top eludes me. They put the detent on the shaft.

CC1.png

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
In my experience I've had best results with Rotella T6 5W-40 in both Ecoboosts I've owned. Any other brand of oil and it reeks of fuel and is diluted to the consistency of water by 3-4000miles.
I think that this is a very good suggestion! I have been researching this oil and viscosity for some time. It appears to be superior in almost every category important to TGDI engines. I am hoping that it staves off, or at least slows the accumulation of the crud on the valve stems.

I looked for it the last time I was in town, but no one had it... guess it's time to order online.

Your results confirmed my initial impression. Thanks for the data point!
Sponsored

Last edited: