First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 For Ranger XLT
Occupation
Finance
I live in CO and without realizing it I topped off my fuel tank with 1/2 a tank of 85 octane instead of the 87 that’s already in it. I just saw the warning in the ford manual and now I’m worried. I would lean towards adding an octane booster just for this one tank but all of the ones that I can find have MMTs. Should I be good if I just take it easy until I can put premium in to try to offset my mess up?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I live in CO and without realizing it I filled 1/2 a tank with 85 octane instead of 87 that’s already in it. I just saw the warning in the ford manual and now I’m worried. I would lean towards adding an octane booster just for this one tank but all of the ones that I can find have MMTs. Should I be good if I just take it easy until I can put premium in to try to offset my mess up?
Fill the rest with Sunoco 94 octane. You’ll be fine.

OP
OP
Rocco587

Rocco587

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 For Ranger XLT
Occupation
Finance
Fill the rest with Sunoco 94 octane. You’ll be fine.
Thanks! I failed to mention (and I just reworded the post) what happened was I topped off my tank with 1/2 of 85 so it’s full now, so that is where my worry is. Thanks again.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
No worries about it, it's using 85 consistently that can create problems as it can cause elevated cc temps . I reference my friend with a super charged Buick that ran 85 octane for a numbers of yrs, all good until a piston grenaded.

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Trenor
Thanks! I failed to mention (and I just reworded the post) what happened was I topped off my tank with 1/2 of 85 so it’s full now, so that is where my worry is. Thanks again.
You really should be running 87 at a minimum. I’ve owned lots of turbo vehicles and I’ve only ever run 91 in my ranger. It can run 87, but it will be better for it on 91

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I would be very gentle on it, maybe take it for a good long drive on the highway, and top it off with the highest octane your can get. Should be fine. At least you didn't put Diesel in it ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
It will be fine, just drive to 1/2 then top it with 91 and you're good. I had a buddy that put Diesel in his Harley on a trip, at least he noticed before we left. Delayed the trip until we emptied and flushed the tank and drained the lines.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yeah I wouldn't advise you to run 85 but if you are at elevation and are staying at elevation I'm sure you will be ok. Stay out of high boost and add some higher octane when you can. If you're really concerned, add some octane booster or a gallon of e85 if you can get your hands on it easily. One quick trip on the highway will free up enough room in your tank to get some higher octane fuel in there.

Do the math: half 85 and half 87 makes an average rating of 86 which is only 1 octane point lower than you want, AND you are at elevation. Add a couple gallons of 91 when you can and you'll be back in that 87 range.

For a one time thing you will be fine, the ecoboost ecu's are very smart and can pull and reduce timing like crazy to reduce knock events.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
boost.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The highest we have here in Alaska is 90… I don’t know much about all this stuff, you guys are teaching me a lot… question:

With the performance tunes you guys always talk about, it seems like they require high octane gasoline, if all I have is 90 here, would a tune even be beneficial to me at all?

I’ve always just used 87, but since being here I’ve been alternating between 87 and 90, (we don’t even have a mid grade), I’ve noticed I get about 1 mpg upgrade on 90.

Anyways, what could I get out of a tune with a 90 cap? Or is there a way to increase that number with an additive?
With the Livernois tune you'll get 5 tunes

87-89 soft shift & performance
91-93 soft shift & performance
tow

You will still see a huge improvement with the 87-89 tunes. With the tow tune you can run any octane and not have to worry about reflashing back and forth. We only have 91 here and I run the 91-93 soft shift tune.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's fine. Due to altitude 85 here in CO is the same equivalent as 87 elsewhere.

Your Ranger can run on any unleaded fuel octane rating. It just does best on premium.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This might answer my question…. I just posted it. Would this need to be added to 90 octane or could you get away with 87 octane and then boosting with this product?
The manual specifically suggests avoiding certain octane boosters.
Sponsored