Tuned Trucks + Spark Knock w/ 93 Octane?

First Name
Jeremy Messick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
Occupation
Pile docker
Interesting. What tune are you on? I sent for a timing revision and it is mostly mitigated. Like 95% mitigated but with a slight loss of total power. Still much quicker than stock.
It’s the omega tune from ken at oz. I don’t have a clue how to read data logs lol but I attempted to and from the knock retard it goes to like -8 and on the knock cyl 1-4 it will go up to about 5. I don’t ever hear anything wrong on like hard pulls but taking off from a light I can hear spark knock around like 4th gear I would say. It normally happens under load but not put to the floor. Truck also feels like it struggles to stay at a certain speed and almost sluggish on the highway compared to stock. Lol that’s the best description I have of my issues. Ken claimed out of all the vehicles I would be the first to have issues…
Sponsored

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
It’s the omega tune from ken at oz. I don’t have a clue how to read data logs lol but I attempted to and from the knock retard it goes to like -8 and on the knock cyl 1-4 it will go up to about 5. I don’t ever hear anything wrong on like hard pulls but taking off from a light I can hear spark knock around like 4th gear I would say. It normally happens under load but not put to the floor. Truck also feels like it struggles to stay at a certain speed and almost sluggish on the highway compared to stock. Lol that’s the best description I have of my issues. Ken claimed out of all the vehicles I would be the first to have issues…
Hmm. Interesting. That’s about the same as mine was doing.

First Name
Jeremy Messick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
Occupation
Pile docker
Hmm. Interesting. That’s about the same as mine was doing.
Yeah man and I am always paranoid about noises and if something just doesn’t feel good. Hopefully he can figure it out with the data logs I sent. I really want to just put the stock tune on until I figure it out.

First Name
Jeremy Messick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
Occupation
Pile docker
see
Yeah man and I am always paranoid about noises and if something just doesn’t feel good. Hopefully he can figure it out with the data logs I sent. I really want to just put the stock tune on until I figure it out.
Well the truck just fell flat on its face during normal driving. I’m not sure what the bell I have going on

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Well here is an update : In a completely unbiased observation, I bought Torrie's Unleashed tune, and the knock completely went away.. through all ranges and throttle positions, etc. There is definitely something going on w/ Ken's tune & my particular truck. Here is a couple of notes.

• I now own three different tunes (5Star, Oz, and Unleashed)
  • I am on my 5th revision from Ken, which seemed to mitigate the issue 90% but slowed the truck down significantly (he told me that it would, and I agreed to that)
  • I am getting zero knock with Torrie's tune, throughout all throttle ranges
  • Torrie's tune is about equal 0-60 with Ken's v.5 revision that mostly worked for me
  • My 0-60 times are pretty consistent among all tunes on 32 inch tires & 93 oct. (6.1s to 6.3s)
  • I decided to go w/ Torrie after I saw the same issue from the other guy in this thread

I don't want to, in any way, steer someone away from the tune that works best for their setup. Ken has been super responsive and very helpful throughout this entire process. It just wasn't the tune for my particular set up, I guess.. which sucks because his is the smoothest & quickest, thus far. He also has the beta version of datalogging channels which I loved.

Torrie was a lot of help in looking at my datalogs, and confirmed that there wasn't really any knock showing on the logs, but he did have some notes. I decided to try Torries out, if for nothing else, because I owed him that money on time alone, and he is local.

I chose OZ & Unleased because they are both local to Florida and understand the heat and humidity issues that we deal with down here that not many others have to deal with. If y'all have any other thoughts or questions.. I'd be happy to answer.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Any chance the knocking noise might have been transmission related, not engine related? It seems odd to hear an audible knock that's not picked up by any of the knock sensors. Either way, glad you are on the right track. It's assuring to find a tuner who's already familiar with the platform.

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Any chance the knocking noise might have been transmission related, not engine related? It seems odd to hear an audible knock that's not picked up by any of the knock sensors. Either way, glad you are on the right track. It's assuring to find a tuner who's already familiar with the platform.
I really don't know, but it took Ken making timing changes in the tune to mitigate the noise, which made me wonder. Torrie seemed to throw the idea that the boost seemed a bit heavy early in the range, but I'm more than certain Ken would have worked in some safety features in that range. I've read some other posts in the F150 forums in which Ken talks about phaser rattle caused by the DI system on the 5.0L tunes, so maybe its something related to that. I just don't know. I've seen people run the 93 tune wide open for 10k miles with no issues. Perhaps its just my (and the other fella's truck that has the issue). For the time being, all that I know is Torrie's tune runs strong and the "spark knock" "bacon sizzle" sound is gone.

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
So I’ve been wondering… my Ranger does this randomly with the Ford Performance tune, K&N, MBRP exhaust. Makes me cringe! Happens under load in about 4th gear I think. Does not happen with light driving or WOT. I love the tune but that sound makes me want to cry. Lol maybe a call to unleashed is in order!

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
So I’ve been wondering… my Ranger does this randomly with the Ford Performance tune, K&N, MBRP exhaust. Makes me cringe! Happens under load in about 4th gear I think. Does not happen with light driving or WOT. I love the tune but that sound makes me want to cry. Lol maybe a call to unleashed is in order!
i did everything I could to mitigate the sound from fuel system treatment to colder plugs, etc. nothing worked but the new tune.

Reactions: Doc

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Well here is an update : In a completely unbiased observation, I bought Torrie's Unleashed tune, and the knock completely went away.. through all ranges and throttle positions, etc. There is definitely something going on w/ Ken's tune & my particular truck. Here is a couple of notes.

• I now own three different tunes (5Star, Oz, and Unleashed)
  • I am on my 5th revision from Ken, which seemed to mitigate the issue 90% but slowed the truck down significantly (he told me that it would, and I agreed to that)
  • I am getting zero knock with Torrie's tune, throughout all throttle ranges
  • Torrie's tune is about equal 0-60 with Ken's v.5 revision that mostly worked for me
  • My 0-60 times are pretty consistent among all tunes on 32 inch tires & 93 oct. (6.1s to 6.3s)
  • I decided to go w/ Torrie after I saw the same issue from the other guy in this thread

I don't want to, in any way, steer someone away from the tune that works best for their setup. Ken has been super responsive and very helpful throughout this entire process. It just wasn't the tune for my particular set up, I guess.. which sucks because his is the smoothest & quickest, thus far. He also has the beta version of datalogging channels which I loved.

Torrie was a lot of help in looking at my datalogs, and confirmed that there wasn't really any knock showing on the logs, but he did have some notes. I decided to try Torries out, if for nothing else, because I owed him that money on time alone, and he is local.

I chose OZ & Unleased because they are both local to Florida and understand the heat and humidity issues that we deal with down here that not many others have to deal with. If y'all have any other thoughts or questions.. I'd be happy to answer.
I too have tried MANY tunes. Gearheads, SSI, 5 Star and Unleashed. Torries Unleashed tune is without a doubt the best. He makes a tune with everyday drivers in mind, focusing on drivability and power….and he succeeds.

tanner morley

First Name
tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt sport
Occupation
nurse
i too have Oz tune e30, and mine makes these exact noises. And he told me that nothing is showing up in the logs and that everything looks good. Now when I go back to the stock tune, it still does it. Any updates from you guys?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
i too have Oz tune e30, and mine makes these exact noises. And he told me that nothing is showing up in the logs and that everything looks good. Now when I go back to the stock tune, it still does it. Any updates from you guys?
I ended up going with colder plugs
Sponsored