Tuned Trucks + Spark Knock w/ 93 Octane?

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
I am curious if anyone else is having the same issue that I may be having. I have the OZ Omega Tune on my truck, and have noticed what sounds exactly like spark knock even with 93 octane.

• I am constantly in communication and getting revisions (on v4) from Ken, and he says that he is seeing no knock in the datalogs, and everything looks okay from the logs.
  • I asked Ken if I should install colder plugs, and he said no but to replace them @ 30k, which I have done. I just went with OEM plugs gapped @ 0.028 (I will regap them to 0.025). I
  • I have read about oil contents, and how they can help decrease LSPI. I get my oil changes with the package that they gave me @ the dealer, but it is the Motorcraft Synthetic.
I swear that I am hearing intermittent spark knock. Anyone else have any thoughts? Could it be the LSPI? Also, if I am experiencing audible "spark knock", wouldn't it show up in the logs?

I ask about LSPI because I read this article in which the author experienced this w/ his brother & his Focus RS that showed no knock in any logs. - LSPI can Damage Your Direct Injection Engine - BUT, it seems to happen at 25%-40% throttle in the mid-range RPMs
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Run a bottle of octane booster to see if it clears up. If not it could be something else.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'm not familiar with that tune so not sure how aggressively they have the spark curve set in relation to the fuel/boost mapping. Maybe reset it to stock and see if it still does it on the same tank of gas. If not then it could be the spark advance is too aggressive in that rpm/throttle range especially if it's a long term issue. If it just started up then it's possible that the ethanol level is higher than 10% and is causing issues. Another possibility is the station's 93 tank is contaminated or got filled with the wrong grade. Try filling up from a different gas station or one that is ethanol free and see if if makes any difference.

Some scan tools and mobile app scanners will allow you to see real time data. Perhaps you can do some data logging and look at the results and see if the knock sensor is activating, or if you see active spark retardation happening when you hear the engine start pinging.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Would not recommend Octane Booster, there are other threads on this

One step colder plugs with the correct gap will provide some protection

You may want to do your own research on this, but you could add some E85 to the mix. The trucks are good for E15. Try a different gas station too. Ethanol burns cooler than gas and ups the overall octane

Also, maybe try a different tune? Not sure who this tuning company is, have not looked them up or anything, but there are several other tuning companies with a lot of experience. Unleashed, Livernois, Ford Performance (which is Livernois with a warranty basically)

Last, if you don't like the feeling you are getting, go with your gut. Take the tune off until you can figure it out or something

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Okay. Here is what I have done, so far

• I changed the oil today w/ Mobil 1 (for the LSPI factor)
  • Lucas Fuel Treatment
  • New OEM Spark plugs ( gapped @ 0.028)
  • I went to stock tune (no pinging whatsoever)
  • Loaded my 5Star 93 Performance Tune (not as bad of a knock but can't stand the shift points)
  • Next, I will try the 93 Daily/Tow 5Star Tune
  • If all that fails, she's going back to stock for a bit until the tuners can figure this out.
Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I'd still run a bottle of MMT based octane booster. A single bottle isn't going to do any harm to anything, but it will allow you to rule out your fuel quality as the source of the issue.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ummmmmmm........ So perhaps you are not used to the sound of the 2.3L EcoBoost? Yes it is a turbo 4 but it has its own distinct sound. I have the Livernois tow tune(87-93 allowed) and normally run 91 and have no problems. When I was in Michigan 2 months ago I was able to run 93 and the truck loved it more!! Hard to say but maybe its just you?

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Ummmmmmm........ So perhaps you are not used to the sound of the 2.3L EcoBoost? Yes it is a turbo 4 but it has its own distinct sound. I have the Livernois tow tune(87-93 allowed) and normally run 91 and have no problems. When I was in Michigan 2 months ago I was able to run 93 and the truck loved it more!! Hard to say but maybe its just you?
Definitely not, my guy. I am well aware of the sounds an Ecoboost makes. This ain't a DI tick lol. I've been into racing turbo 4cyl vehicles for many, many years. I'm no ASE certified mechanic, but I know the different sounds a car can make. I, too, have an adaptive tune that allows for E30, but I only run 93. I also have two different tune providers. Never ran 87 once in the seven months that I've owned this truck.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Do some data logs and look for knock if you don't trust your tuner. Why guess?

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Do some data logs and look for knock if you don't trust your tuner. Why guess?
There is definitely KR & and advance in the HPL file, but the actual allowance may be more than I am giving it, in my head. You know what I mean?

I'm more wondering if it is a result of something that might be outside of the tune. I'm not shitting on my tuner. He has a wonderful reputation. I am just hoping that I'm not missing something outside of the tune, since I have no real-time dyno work w/ the truck.

Most of these EB Ranger tunes are OTS tunes, and seem to be happy. I am in constant contact w/ my tuner, and he is working on it too.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not sure what KR number is acceptable on these. Sounds like you know a lot more than me on it so I'll drop out of this thread now lol.

OP
OP
crocodiledaddee

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not sure what KR number is acceptable on these. Sounds like you know a lot more than me on it so I'll drop out of this thread now lol.

Just got another revision back from Ken. He said that there was no knock registered, so I am just going to let it ride. I had a freak out moment, because I don't know of anything else that could sound like that classic spark knock sound.. maybe something is loose somewhere. I don't know. If there was any knock, it would register on his end from that datalog.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I'm having an issue that sounds like predet but I'm now wondering if it isn't the transmission doing something weird. The noise never occurs at WOT and mostly only occurs in 7th gear. Who knows. Enjoy your truck!