First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Is it always best to run a 91 tune with 92 gas or is 92 gas close enough to run a 93 tun safely? Don't eat me alive, I'm just asking. I've only used a 91 tune so far, with 92 gas. I'm just curious because I see lots of folks mention running a 93 tune, but I never see anything above 92 gas, anywhere. At least out in the pnw anyway.
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
If I had a 93 tune and put 92 in it I would bitch and complain and piss and moan and still floor it away from every light. I mean, FFS I put 87 into my motorcycle with 13:1 compression. I didn't go WOT, but it's fine.

There's enough of a safety margin with the "custom" (not at all custom) tunes that we buy. Mine are from 5star. They basically tune THEIR exact truck to peak performance, and then back the timing and/or boost off a hair and email it to you. This way, if your truck has a little more of something-or-other that their truck doesn't have, then you wont be pushing your engine past its mechanical limits.

All of THAT being said, I wouldn't waste the money on a 93 tune if it isn't readily available.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
My ROUSH tune Is a "93" but in the literature it states to not use less than 91 octane. I use my Kroger fuel points and both my vehicles get filled up with 92 octane that is the highest Kroger sells. There are 2 places near me that have 93 octane but I can't get a discount. We save at minimum. 55 cents off each time, we got .85 cents off Saturday and filled 2 vehicles and a gas can. Gibson exhaust, ROUSHcold air kit and tune, still have 19.5mpg in town and runs like a striped ape when I need it to.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I would expect that in spite of whatever changes a reputable tuner builds in at some point the anti-knock hardware built into the truck would take over and protect you.
Sponsored