New Nissan Z - good potential but one big failure.

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I personally love the design of the new Z and it's high up on my list of weekend cars with the Supra and M2 Comp. The former which is auto only is a let down, and the latter are still going for MSRP or higher for used models.

Can't wait to read/watch reviews when they come out!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'd sell my Ranger in a heartbeat if I found a low mileage GTR at some sort of once in a life time low priced deal.

Sadly even ones in the $50k range are very high mileage or have been in accidents.
For sure.

I wouldn't go near a $50k GTR with somebody else's wallet.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I personally love the design of the new Z and it's high up on my list of weekend cars with the Supra and M2 Comp. The former which is auto only is a let down, and the latter are still going for MSRP or higher for used models.

Can't wait to read/watch reviews when they come out!
I'd take this Z over the Supra in a heartbeat.

I find the Supra styling to be "weird" to say it politely. This Z looks so much better.

Looking forward to reviews on it and some comparisons with a Mustang GT.

I expect the Mustang to slay it in acceleration but the Z to be better in most other areas.

I'll go ahead and call it now: The Mustang 5.0 exhaust will sound TONS better than the turbo V6 ?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I am just picky for sure.

The current gen Mustang went after the euro-sport car look.

The last gen Camaro wanted to do the spaceship sport car thing.

The Dodge Challenger is the only one on the market to pull off new + retro and do it well.

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'd take this Z over the Supra in a heartbeat.

I find the Supra styling to be "weird" to say it politely. This Z looks so much better.

Looking forward to reviews on it and some comparisons with a Mustang GT.

I expect the Mustang to slay it in acceleration but the Z to be better in most other areas.

I'll go ahead and call it now: The Mustang 5.0 exhaust will sound TONS better than the turbo V6 ?
The B58 in the Supra is it's saving grace to me. That engine is a flat out monster when it comes to the aftermarket. Paired with some Volks and a little low, I think they look solid. Obviously Toyota didn't go with retro styling which has become popular/the norm these days for big name equity cars.

The main con is no manual transmission option. I'm sure Toyota is committing seppuku right now because they can't do jack about the transmission debacle because they laid down with BMW to develop the car. And BMW isn't developing a manual unless it has a M and single number attached to it.

Mustangs...I'll hold my tongue on those since a lot of folks on here have them :LOL:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Dodge Challenger is the only one on the market to pull off new + retro and do it well.
Agreed.

If only it weren't so HUGE.

I had 3 pony cars in a row for rentals for a week each.

Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT, all 2019 models.

Strongly disliked the Camaro, terrible interior.

LOVED the Mustang. It also felt the strongest. I very seriously considered buying one.

The Challenger had the best interior, looked the best, and the exhaust sounded GLORIOUS ?

It was just gigantic compared to the other two.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed.

If only it weren't so HUGE.

I had 3 pony cars in a row for rentals for a week each.

Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT, all 2019 models.

Strongly disliked the Camaro, terrible interior.

LOVED the Mustang. It also felt the strongest. I very seriously considered buying one.

The Challenger had the best interior, looked the best, and the exhaust sounded GLORIOUS ?

It was just gigantic compared to the other two.
Problem with modern muscle cars is everyone and their mother doing cat/reso deletes. Cause sounding like a track car when you go to pick up eggs and milk is the coolest thing ever.

Now that higher end BMW models are getting older and cheaper I see a lot of twits doing this to imports as well.

Starting to rank up there with motorcycle owners who feel the need to ride high rpms in the lowest gear possible, or revving at stop signs in neighborhoods.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger FX4
The oldschool round lights don't work on the new body style. Nevermind the fact that somehow managed to concoct almond shape head lights, not round ones.

It pains me to say it, but GTR shaped headlights would have looked more appropriate on the body style.

I bet at moderate distance you asked a non-knowledge person what kind of car they were looking at they would probably say a Mazda. (don't get me started how the newest gen Miata just looks like a BMW clone)
I guess im the minority here, but i think it works, definitely the almost perfect mix of current Z styling (headlights akin to the 350z) with throwback Datsun features, I'd definitely drive one, as for the new miata, well at least someone is making cars that look like BMW's because BMW sure isnt anymore

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I guess im the minority here, but i think it works, definitely the almost perfect mix of current Z styling (headlights akin to the 350z) with throwback Datsun features, I'd definitely drive one, as for the new miata, well at least someone is making cars that look like BMW's because BMW sure isnt anymore
Those old datsuns were a thing of beauty.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
"New cars are ugly" is predecessor to:

Today's music sucks!
Get off the grass!
What did he have on his face?
What's my mpg?

If you've said any of these, you are officially old and irrelevant ;)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Best Datsun ever made was the 510 sedan, After that they built the B210 and were so ashamed that they had to change their name! :giggle:
I had a 510 in forest green - think it was a 1970 , bought it used, independent rear suspension, 4 speed manual and I think a 1.6 l overhead cam engine. Great car but one night after a few too many plopped into the drivers seat and it broke, drove it for another 2 yrs with the spare tire holding the seatback upright. Then overheated it and stretched the timing chain - it made a constant rattle but never broke, very rugged engine, great car it was compared to the bmw 2002 .

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Tend to agree, but still think it looks more like the Plymouth Cuda than the Challenger. Taillights and dual headlights are the only thing that makes it a Challenger. I'm prejudiced because I had a '70 Cuda.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
As usual, the front end cosmetics just ruin the entire thing for me. A seemingly popular trend among manufacturers now a days.

Rear looks good. Interior looks good. Front end says, "Wait, thats it?"

2023-Nissan-Z-30.jpg

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42014/2023-nissan-z-the-icon-returns-with-400-hp-rwd-and-a-manual
My thoughts on the front end is a bit different. I believe Nissan wanted to pay homage to the past, but also, they know that many of these cars will be modified by buyers and wanted to provide a clean slate as a starting point. I like what they've done and can easily visualize what mods could be implemented, either to make it look modern and aggressive or retro and clean. Believe the aftermarket will be big on this car.

EDIT: I'll add that there are better angles to see what they've done with the front end on the Z. You also have to give Nissan props for coming out with a car that has 400hp, manual transmission, will most likely cost less than competitors, and is actually a Nissan (cough...Supra).
1629303521581.png
Sponsored

Last edited: