New Member, New Truck, and Failure @100 miles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A week to repair a lamp and socket? Insane.

Am I correct to say that we are not obligated to take our vehicles to the place of purchase for repairs or maintenance? I would think that if one Ford shop doesn't accommodate my needs, I'd take to another dealer. Maybe shop around to find a dealer that does have loaners. If I find a dealer that meets my needs, I would stick with that one and let the original know that I wont be using his services.
Hi Jason,

You can take your car to any Ford dealer of Lincoln dealer for that matter. You do not have to use the purchasing dealer. Things are sure bogged down in the Service areas in many dealers. Parts shortages abound. Good Luck!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A week to repair a lamp and socket? Insane.

Am I correct to say that we are not obligated to take our vehicles to the place of purchase for repairs or maintenance? I would think that if one Ford shop doesn't accommodate my needs, I'd take to another dealer. Maybe shop around to find a dealer that does have loaners. If I find a dealer that meets my needs, I would stick with that one and let the original know that I wont be using his services.
Yes you can go anywhere but it was just more convenient to have it done (or so I thought) while they were doing my oil change. I hate going to the dealership so for now I'll roll the dice.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
That's crazy Greg! I dread getting anything done at the dealerships now. I still haven't went in for the recall on the rear tail lamps from over a year ago. I asked about it when they did my last oil change and they said I'd need to leave my truck with for a week. Yeah that's not gonna happen! I figured it hasn't caught on fire yet so I should be good. ?

As far a a rental goes I always add the rental car to my insurance policy. It doesn't cost that much extra and adds peace of mind in cases like this.
When I took mine in for an oil change after noticing the recall for the tail lamp thingy, they took care of it right then.

I've not had to have any major repair done on the truck at Peoria Ford, but we've done some stuff with Jeanie's 2012 Edge (stuff that just wore out) and they've been incredibly responsive and helpful to us.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can go anywhere but it was just more convenient to have it done (or so I thought) while they were doing my oil change. I hate going to the dealership so for now I'll roll the dice.
Dave I'm in the same boat - I keep thinking I should get it checked but after 2+ years sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it. At some point I probably will have it checked, but it really isn't a bit concern for me. The number of vehicles affected was very small.

I would like to get the TSB for the cold start transmission issue but it hasn't been that big of a deal - I usually just warm it up a bit and it is fine. Seems like the transmission needs a bit to get the fluids flowing or something.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave I'm in the same boat - I keep thinking I should get it checked but after 2+ years sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it. At some point I probably will have it checked, but it really isn't a bit concern for me. The number of vehicles affected was very small.

I would like to get the TSB for the cold start transmission issue but it hasn't been that big of a deal - I usually just warm it up a bit and it is fine. Seems like the transmission needs a bit to get the fluids flowing or something.
Rob I think we're safe as neither of us have caught on fire yet. lol I know Covid has put a strain on certain things but having to drop it off for a week is a little much especially making the appointment 2 weeks in advance. I have another dealer closer to me that at some point I'll probably try getting in with them but like you I'm not to worried about it.

I've been lucky as I haven't had any of the cold start tranny issues . I did have it with my Tacoma and yes letting it warm up a bit longer does seem to help it from a cold start. There was nothing you could do with the bucking drivetrain in that though. :LOL:

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Was called this morning that they had a loaner for me. Took it on in and of course, I had to go over the entire problem again with the service writer on duty today. He of course goes, "we'll if it's not currently showing on the dash..." and I told him to jump in and then he said he could probably lookup the ticket.

Confidence level at zero I hate to say. Got an Escape for a loaner and it's ok. It was that or an Edge.

Ford customer care called me and they were nice. Their view was the dealer should have backed out the deal and replaced it since it initially failed in 3 days under 100 miles. I told him then please call the dealer and make that happen. We'll see how she goes, as I'm at one week of ownership, and the truck has 330 miles, 210 of those are from going back and forth to the dealership.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Was called this morning that they had a loaner for me. Took it on in and of course, I had to go over the entire problem again with the service writer on duty today. He of course goes, "we'll if it's not currently showing on the dash..." and I told him to jump in and then he said he could probably lookup the ticket.

Confidence level at zero I hate to say. Got an Escape for a loaner and it's ok. It was that or an Edge.

Ford customer care called me and they were nice. Their view was the dealer should have backed out the deal and replaced it since it initially failed in 3 days under 100 miles. I told him then please call the dealer and make that happen. We'll see how she goes, as I'm at one week of ownership, and the truck has 330 miles, 210 of those are from going back and forth to the dealership.
That's progress, and Ford acknowledged the problem. You should be able to get them to take it back since you stated the problem started on day 2. I assume it's all been documented.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
After a week of ownership, only 100 miles added to the odometer and their response to the problem, that dealership would be voiding that vehicle purchase and giving my old truck back.

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
Sometimes I think we'd be better off going back to horses and buggies.

Bought a 2001 F-150 that on the way home I hit a bump and the seatbelt came unlached. It would do that on every bump. Next day it was back at the dealer. At least they gave me a loaner F-150 for the several weeks it took to get the part to fix it. Then I bought a Focus with an automatic transmission. Yeah that didn't go ever well either as evidenced by the class action lawsuit over that. Course I never had a problem with the F-150 after the seat belt issue and the only issue with the Focus was the transmission. I also owned a Mustang and two Focus STs that never had a problem.

The dealership should've given you a loaner or rental from the start. With less than a week of ownership and less than 100 miles Ford can flip the bill for that no matter what their warranty states. That's just unacceptable.

Sorry you're going through this. Hope it works out for you.

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
Did they confiscate your truck? No? Then drive it. I have driven lots of vehicles without nanny gadgets. You are assuming the worst. And you know what happens when you assume.
You know something, you're just plain wrong on this. I'm over 50 so I've driven a lot of vehicles without the nanny state safety systems we have now. I would have no problem driving them again. But the issue is we have all these nanny state systems in our vehicles now that are tied into everything, even the brakes. Some of his issues are directly related to the brakes. If one of those nanny state safety systems takes out his brakes and he's in an accident because of it there are going to be a whole bunch of problems for him apart from the physical injuries that he and possibly someone else will incure. The lawyers will be asking why he was driving the truck when the safety systems weren't fully operational.

I saw a couple of people reviewing a pre production Ranger. They turned off the truck and switched drivers. When the second driver turned it on the computer had a fit and shutdown all the safety systems on the truck. They started to freak out wondering if they should drive it. After several attempts of turning it on then off they finally got all the warning lights to go away. I about fell out of my chair laughing at them and their panic. Thinking back on it now while I would probably still laugh at their panicing I don't blame them for being hesitant to drive it. I probably would have called whoever was loaning me the vehicle and tell them to get a tow truck out to pick it up. Who knows what can happen when the safety systems are having issues like that.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You know something, you're just plain wrong on this. I'm over 50 so I've driven a lot of vehicles without the nanny state safety systems we have now. I would have no problem driving them again. But the issue is we have all these nanny state systems in our vehicles now that are tied into everything, even the brakes. Some of his issues are directly related to the brakes. If one of those nanny state safety systems takes out his brakes and he's in an accident because of it there are going to be a whole bunch of problems for him apart from the physical injuries that he and possibly someone else will incure. The lawyers will be asking why he was driving the truck when the safety systems weren't fully operational.

I saw a couple of people reviewing a pre production Ranger. They turned off the truck and switched drivers. When the second driver turned it on the computer had a fit and shutdown all the safety systems on the truck. They started to freak out wondering if they should drive it. After several attempts of turning it on then off they finally got all the warning lights to go away. I about fell out of my chair laughing at them and their panic. Thinking back on it now while I would probably still laugh at their panicing I don't blame them for being hesitant to drive it. I probably would have called whoever was loaning me the vehicle and tell them to get a tow truck out to pick it up. Who knows what can happen when the safety systems are having issues like that.
I am not wrong just because your 50. I was just throwing out my opinion based on the reported statements, just like everybody does on the internet. The OP can use or discard as needed. I will see your 50 and raise you hahaha.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

Provide one example where modern safety systems disabled a vehicles brakes and caused an accident. One example.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Good luck! I hope they take care of you! I feel like the dealership dropped the ball being the vehicle is brand-damn-new! If I was a salesman at a reputable dealer, I'd be the one trying to make it right!