New Member, New Truck, and Failure @100 miles.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I just had a dark thought...
Is it possible the Ford or the Ranger whiz kids are using a lower tier vendor for chips, that aren't up to the job?.
I think @VegasRanger (post#91) has the right diagnosis, but...
Not a chance. Typically tier 3 manufacturers that are making the assemblies for a tier 2. Way too much liability to go out of spec or off the AVL in the automotive sector. Sources have to be vetted and approved.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
If anyone has had this fix, please share with me what the dealer did, the dealer name, and/or the VIN. My dealer is stumped and I can't afford to have it bought back as there's nothing out there that won't cost me 10-15k more money at this point.

Please help...

Jim

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
For those who are curious how this all turned out, I'll give the update:

Dealer kept it for a week, and gosh knows how many hours the techs spent. In the end they washed it multiple times and figured out the connectors on the ABS sensors were not sealing out water, causing corrosion inside the pins of the harness.

They replaced all 4 sensors and wiring harness connectors, placed dielectric grease in the connectors, and shrank wrapped the entire connector when reconnected. Stated Ford was having problems with some sourced connectors not being up to speck.

Got it back two weeks ago and have driven 1800 miles, much of it in the rain through some some very large puddles. Nothing. Everything is working....

So, if you have the same problem, start with some dielectric grease and tape/shrink wrap up the connectors.

Now the accessory spending continues!

Cheers,

Jim

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
For those who are curious how this all turned out, I'll give the update:

Dealer kept it for a week, and gosh knows how many hours the techs spent. In the end they washed it multiple times and figured out the connectors on the ABS sensors were not sealing out water, causing corrosion inside the pins of the harness.

They replaced all 4 sensors and wiring harness connectors, placed dielectric grease in the connectors, and shrank wrapped the entire connector when reconnected. Stated Ford was having problems with some sourced connectors not being up to speck.

Got it back two weeks ago and have driven 1800 miles, much of it in the rain through some some very large puddles. Nothing. Everything is working....

So, if you have the same problem, start with some dielectric grease and tape/shrink wrap up the connectors.

Now the accessory spending continues!

Cheers,

Jim
What a roller coaster. Glad they got it sorted!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Oh yeah. Just spent another $50!
ME TOO...$48 bucks at The Heat Shield Store for a sun blocker.
Amazing that our pockets just open up and $$$$ pours out of them !!!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

21RoushRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Ranger XLT
empty-wallet25.jpg

You ain't kidding! I keep checking to see if any money shows up in my wallet so that I can immediately spend it on that next new thing that I absolutely have to have for my truck right this very instant!

Jim, I am glad to see the dealership got it figured out for you. These trucks are fun to drive and hate to see anyone have a bad experience right from the get go.

DrRaptor

First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger raptor
Occupation
Business
Greetings All,

This is my first post to the forum, as I (a week ago) traded in my 2011 Ford Ranger Supercab for a new 2021 Ford Ranger STX SE Crew Cab. I needed to take my son to summer camp, and then visit relatives in Ohio over the weekend and next week, and decided a new truck would be much more comfortable. Paid the balance in cash.

Sure enough, two days later with around 100 miles, it consistantly looses ABS, Traction Control, Braking PreAssist, etc when you turn right. Not left, not straight, but every time you turn right at speeds over 25.

Showed it to the dealer, resetting it and tripping it again, and their computer showed loss of communications with the Steering Angle Sensor, and both right side ABS sensors. They are not sure how long it will take to fix, and there are no loaners available. Just filed a Ford Customer Care complaint via Twitter.

To be honest friends, while I really liked the truck and found it drove great, I'm totally regretting doing the trade. They want to disassemble the truck and replace the main harness, and I know it will never be right with electrical issues right off the bat like this.

Anyone have this same problem and a positive outcome with Ford Customer Care? If my old truck hadn't already sold, I'd just prefer to unwind the whole thing.

Cheers,

JimInAllen
Sorry to hear about your troubles but I think all of us have had issues here . Bought a brand new ranger raptor drove it home had oil leakage , got that fixed now has console with all the buttons dead and not responsive . It’s troublesome going back n forth to the dealership . Hopefully all our issues will be sorted , keep that chin up ;)
Sponsored