New Member, New Truck, and Failure @100 miles.

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Greetings All,

This is my first post to the forum, as I (a week ago) traded in my 2011 Ford Ranger Supercab for a new 2021 Ford Ranger STX SE Crew Cab. I needed to take my son to summer camp, and then visit relatives in Ohio over the weekend and next week, and decided a new truck would be much more comfortable. Paid the balance in cash.

Sure enough, two days later with around 100 miles, it consistantly looses ABS, Traction Control, Braking PreAssist, etc when you turn right. Not left, not straight, but every time you turn right at speeds over 25.

Showed it to the dealer, resetting it and tripping it again, and their computer showed loss of communications with the Steering Angle Sensor, and both right side ABS sensors. They are not sure how long it will take to fix, and there are no loaners available. Just filed a Ford Customer Care complaint via Twitter.

To be honest friends, while I really liked the truck and found it drove great, I'm totally regretting doing the trade. They want to disassemble the truck and replace the main harness, and I know it will never be right with electrical issues right off the bat like this.

Anyone have this same problem and a positive outcome with Ford Customer Care? If my old truck hadn't already sold, I'd just prefer to unwind the whole thing.

Cheers,

JimInAllen
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I wanted to say "shit happens" but I know if it was my truck I'd be in the same mindset as you right now.

Now that I think about it, every new vehicle I've ever purchased had at least one mid- to high- complexity issue with it within the first 20k miles. That's across Dodge, Nissan, Subaru, and yes Ford. As these vehicles get more sophisticated, the chances that everything comes out of the factory 100% dialed in, is bound to go down.

I'm confident the dealer will replace the harness and you'll be golden. If it's not right, get them to lemon it out or swap for another, but I think in the long run you'll love this truck.

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Funny thing is while everyone rips on BMW, we've owned two purchased new since 2014 and put high miles on each one. Nothing other than oil changes and tires. We still have my wife's 2018 and it's over 60k without a problem. The 2011 Ranger and my Son's 2011 CR-Z never even had a check engine light. One bad 12v battery in the CR-Z that's it.

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
I'm pretty upset as I'm looking at having to rent a u-haul at my expense to get my son to camp. That's where I'm livid.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty upset as I'm looking at having to rent a u-haul at my expense to get my son to camp. That's where I'm livid.
I would be pretty livid too if I were in your predicament. Not something you ought to be dealing with on a brand new vehicle with just 100 miles. Fortunately for me, my 2019 has been absolutely flawless since day 1. The only time mine has been in the shop was for oil changes and a level kit. I hope that they can get it sorted out for you. Just awful that you have to deal with this. Good luck.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Lemon laws, does that qualify? Id be livid and honestly wouldnt trust that same truck going forward.

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Here's where the app has been lighting up constantly.

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 12.32.55 PM.jpg

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Lemon laws, does that qualify? Id be livid and honestly wouldnt trust that same truck going forward.
That's what I told Ford Customer Care. I tweeted them and they have been responsive.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would have Ford (the dealership) give you another truck while yours is in for repairs. Tell them you bought a truck because you need to haul stuff. If they don't have another Ranger tell them to give you a F150. Hopefully they fix it for you and you'll enjoy your new Ranger.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
That's what I told Ford Customer Care. I tweeted them and they have been responsive.
Have your contact through twitter escalate the issue if they have not done so already. They should absolutely be able to give you a loaner truck at a minimum.

When my rear axle started leaking at 64 miles with parts on backorder, I used the twitter process to start my contact with Ford. They escalated, got the parts for me and gave me a free Ford Protect extended warranty.

I would also escalate to the GM at your dealer and tell them to get it fixed or undo the deal…

Good luck.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
It's pretty for sure, pulled off the STX stickers for the "clean" look.

IMG_3879.jpg
stickers were literally the 1st thing I did when I got home, blow dryer in hand my wife was laughing her A** off.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
BTW, call me paranoid but I have next to no confidence from any car manufacturer on a new vehicle build after 03/20... I have a friend that bought a new A3 built 6 months ago that has been in the stealership more than his driveway. He claims its the worst experience he's had with them in the 30 years he has owned that brand...

OP
OP

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Dealership has no loaners, and actually after last weekend very few vehicles at all. They usually keep 250 F150s or more, and have like 25. They had 8 Rangers Friday last week. Today zero.

I've escalated, but not sure anyone is really doing anything. Emailed the GM and have heard zero.