New Ranger...complete electrical system failure & quick fix (for now)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

gpsdualsport

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL ExtraCab 2WD
I had one rouge electrical issue on on my 2WD Ranger. Lost power to the dash and center display unit on the second engine restart after pressure washing my truck.
The engine started normally and idled just fine. The entire dash was dark, no warning lamps and none of the center dash buttons had any signs of life.
A mild state of panic was beginning to form at this stage. Just shut off the ignition key and restarted the engine all was fine again.
So far this issue has not repeated. But then I haven't washed the truck since this happened.

FordGuyFL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I wanted to post this since I purchased a 2019 Ranger approximately three months ago and have added 3,300 miles without a mechanical/electrical incident until a few days ago...drove my morning commute and everything was good to go until I parked the truck and turned it off. Much too my confusion, I noticed that although the engine was off, all the other systems were still on and would not shut down (A.C., radio, dashboard lights, etc.). Waited a few minutes and tried to restart the engine but the truck would not respond. Additionally, I noticed the key fob was unresponsive, and the dash board was flashing numerous warnings like "engine oil level low" and "check engine" to name a few.

At this point the truck was totally unreponsive and I was concerned about the battery draining so I pulled the negative lead off the terminal, waited about one minute and reconnected. Not sure what initially happended to the electrical system but disconnecting and reconnecting the battery somehow "rebooted" everything and I was able to start and drive the truck with no issues.

Later that day I drove to dealership and spoke to a service writer. Explained what happened and he had no way of offering
an explaination. I requested that one of the techs run a diagnostic check, but he claimed since I disconnected the battery I essentially "erased" any error codes. Bottom line is that he said they could not do anything for me unless I could replicate the occurance...

Scratching my head at this point I was attempting to correlate this incident with anything out of the ordinary, and realized on the morning the system failed it was incredibly humid where I live on the east coast. I do park the truck outside on the driveway (all the garage space has been taken up by my wife's car and motorcycle), so one logical explaination is that condensation formed somewhere within the electrical system and created a short.

My question is has anyone ever heard of or experienced this type of system failure, and if so, did you locate/determine the source? Any input would be much appreciated!
I am having similar problems with my Lariat 5K miles. It occurs primarily at start up. When you back up the camera flashes on and off then blue screen. As you move forward you the entire screen shuts down.....you either get a constant blue oval, blue screen or black screen. Now a new screen is appearing....audio not available. When this “short” occurs the entire system freezes. No radio or touch screen....even manual AC is affected. I have taken it to the dealership many times.....no code is ever found even with system frozen. Now I am having transmission issues. When I purchased the vehicle it had a defective door keypad (on 3 replacement now) and garage door opener only work 50% of the time( it has been replaced) but still same issue.

The issues eventually reset IF you turned the truck off and let it sit. I have met with Service Manager and called Ford....It is currently at dealer because it would not shift out of low gear. Can anyone offer any advice?

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
I am having similar problems with my Lariat 5K miles. It occurs primarily at start up. When you back up the camera flashes on and off then blue screen. As you move forward you the entire screen shuts down.....you either get a constant blue oval, blue screen or black screen. Now a new screen is appearing....audio not available. When this “short” occurs the entire system freezes. No radio or touch screen....even manual AC is affected. I have taken it to the dealership many times.....no code is ever found even with system frozen. Now I am having transmission issues. When I purchased the vehicle it had a defective door keypad (on 3 replacement now) and garage door opener only work 50% of the time( it has been replaced) but still same issue.

The issues eventually reset IF you turned the truck off and let it sit. I have met with Service Manager and called Ford....It is currently at dealer because it would not shift out of low gear. Can anyone offer any advice?
That one sounds like corrupted Sync3 software. The Sync2 was horribly problematic and Sync3 is considerably better but....every once in a while.... Many Ford forums have a few situations where the screen seems to lock up, go blue, or goes completely blank.

FordGuyFL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
That one sounds like corrupted Sync3 software. The Sync2 was horribly problematic and Sync3 is considerably better but....every once in a while.... Many Ford forums have a few situations where the screen seems to lock up, go blue, or goes completely blank.
Thank you! Dealer said it it Sync 3.3 and under Beta testing.....They have a Mustang in shop with same issues.

Cuatro

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've had the same and other related issues. Frozen screens, back up camera and flashing blue screen, knobs and touch screen inoperative, and no audio at times. It's at the dealer now for about the 6th time. Has anyone else experienced this many failures?
Thanks

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the same and other related issues. Frozen screens, back up camera and flashing blue screen, knobs and touch screen inoperative, and no audio at times. It's at the dealer now for about the 6th time. Has anyone else experienced this many failures?
Thanks
Nope. Zero failures in 26 months.
Sponsored