Faint burning smell when parked in the garage

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone dealt with a faint burnt smell after parking the truck in the garage after a drive. I’m not sure how to diagnose this or what to do. I’ve had the smell since the car was new. I have 1600 miles on it and wonder if it’s some new smell that will burn off. Taking it to the dealer could be tough in that I can’t smell it unless truck is parked after a drive in the garage. The dealer has a huge indoors car bay that I doubt they’ll be able to smell. I put my nose in the front grates and smell something off but if I lift hood I get nothing. My guess is something under the truck but this feels like a needle in a haystack kinda find. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

DMAX
Sponsored

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Has anyone dealt with a faint burnt smell after parking the truck in the garage after a drive. I’m not sure how to diagnose this or what to do. I’ve had the smell since the car was new. I have 1600 miles on it and wonder if it’s some new smell that will burn off. Taking it to the dealer could be tough in that I can’t smell it unless truck is parked after a drive in the garage. The dealer has a huge indoors car bay that I doubt they’ll be able to smell. I put my nose in the front grates and smell something off but if I lift hood I get nothing. My guess is something under the truck but this feels like a needle in a haystack kinda find. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

DMAX
I had the smell after the first few drives, but went away after the "new" burned off.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the smell after the first few drives, but went away after the "new" burned off.
Figured it was normal initially. Now getting a little concerned.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I get that occasionally as well. I haven’t really worried too much about it.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get that occasionally as well. I haven’t really worried too much about it.
Not overly concerned but just wondering if others had it and what they did about it. Thx

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think my car is tsb for the recall on the have. May 15/2019 build. Top of the engine is cleaned. Again I think it’s something below. Was under the car today putting in side steps. Haven’t noticed anything that shouldn’t be there

Hoping someone who has a ton more understanding then I might have some insight. Cheers

Last edited:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I haven't experienced anything similar but i also only park outside.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I've run over a plastic bag in the past that stuck to the exhaust and stank up the vehicle.

DMAX

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the posters here are light years ahead of this. Posting it I’m hoping to get their insight.
I've run over a plastic bag in the past that stuck to the exhaust and stank up the vehicle.
Yeah I checked that initially. The smell is faint but consistent after parking.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Dmax, since my new Ranger made it home, it's been a garage queen ever since. It has this smell. Not always, but there. It's a TGDI engine, not a naturally aspired engine. It's well....different. I hope myself and others have put your mind at ease.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dmax, since my new Ranger made it home, it's been a garage queen ever since. It has this smell. Not always, but there. It's a TGDI engine, not a naturally aspired engine. It's well....different. I hope myself and others have put your mind at ease.
Lol. Figured I’d ask. I’d be worried if the smell was strong or really kicking when the engine was in idling in the garage during a warm up. Its faint but just different. I appreciate the feed back.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Completely understandable. If others have not dealt with the issue or smelt it. It’s a needle in a haystack kinda thing. Any insight appreciated. Interested in learning/understanding.

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Every day when I get home, about a 45 min drive in medium traffic and hills, driving totally normally, I park walk to the back doors to grab stuff, and it smells like breaks or clutch burning. I'm not driving hard, at all. Slightly concerned for sure.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT

DMAX
I'm approaching 1000 mi, and notice the odor. But I'm not worried since it's new, and has a hot very hot turbo. I'm less worried after reading this thread. Seems like a common issue.

....our 'lil Dart 1.3L turbo has an electric coolant circulating pump that runs on after shut down to help cool the turbo. Being our first turbo, I thought this was std. practice, and was surprised the Ranger doesn't have the same.

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Have you got a front brake dragging? A bit of a drag might heat it and the rotor up enough to cause a problem.
Several ways to check.
1)if you have one of the inexpensive laser thermometers (Harbor Freight, about $25), check the hubs/rotors after you get home. Takes 30 seconds to do both if you're quick. You can also use it to check the brakes/after a tow in the hills with a heavy trailer. On a cross country trip, you can check all 4 hubs and tires as well as your trailer in a couple minutes. Take note of the temps and you'll be able to recognize a problem caused by a slow leak or hot brake or bearing before it becomes major. Recommended.
2) place the BACK of your hand against the hub. If one is noticeably hotter, it may be dragging. (Not recommended)
3) jack the wheels up and spin them by hand. You may be able to feel a difference in drag, or hear something dragging on the rotor, wheel or tire. If you are CERTAIN your jack/stand is solid, place your hands on the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to shake the wheel. If the bearing is bad enough, you will feel it. DO NOT shake top/bottom because if it falls off the jack, your bottom hand may be trapped.
Sponsored