Burning smell from rear when using Sport mode

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've noticed this a few times now. I don't normally drive that hard, but once and a while I shift to sport to run the engine a bit.

But I've noticed a burning smell from the rear when I park and get out afterwards. At first I thought it was just new car bits and pieces burning off, but after 1800 miles I would assume that would have dissipated. It seems to come from the rear driver side wheel well more than the passenger side. Smells like a rubbing/burning, I can't really describe it much better.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats...you burned rubber Ben:):LOL:

Open diff will let the right rear go first...normal...

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Congrats...you burned rubber Ben:):LOL:

Open diff will let the right rear go first...normal...
Sid... He said rear drivers side....

.... It seems to come from the rear driver side wheel well more than the passenger side. Smells like a rubbing/burning....

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Ben,look at the back of the wheel and see if you see lots of brake dust or leaking gear oil. Caliper maybe hanging up or axle seal leak. There has been a couple of bad axles (runout) causing gear oil leak. Bret

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Sid... He said rear drivers side....
You got me... I'm a lousy reader:)

Hand brake on? Never know...Back some 30 years ago when me and my young designer buddies loaded up in a Saab turbo and proceed to rape the company test car...the next driver didn't bother to check the HB and roared around until we looked back to see a cloud of brake smoke:LOL:

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I've had smelled the burning rubber smell twice. First was after driving over an hour, and nothing after that on that day on the trip. And then another one a fw weeks ago, but truck was parked for 3 days, and smelled it walking up to it after a remote start for about 8 minutes. again I haven't smelled it since.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had smelled the burning rubber smell twice. First was after driving over an hour, and nothing after that on that day on the trip. And then another one a fw weeks ago, but truck was parked for 3 days, and smelled it walking up to it after a remote start for about 8 minutes. again I haven't smelled it since.
Hi Folks,

A back story...When at the assembly plant for Launch or for product problems, it is always interesting to watch units on the final line before they poke their cute little head out the door after being born. They must be started and then driven off the line...The smoke and the smell is really an experience... There are large exhaust fans to draw these funes away, but the smell is engraved into my mind...I came to love the smell as that was of another Ranger headed to a customer... So much different than the smell inside the cab of a new vehicle...Ah...the memories...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineerng
Ford Motor Co. Retired

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
I smelled it on mine after the initial test drive. Salesman said "They all do that". I didn't smell it again until after about 1200 miles, Haven't got a clue unless it was assembly 'stuff' on the exhaust system. I might have poked it a little before that last time!

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a work trip; was gone for two weeks and on one of my days off I went for a little day that involved going a pretty steep/ long hill. On the way up I stopped at a viewpoint and in getting in and out of the truck I noticed a burning rubber smell. Did a quick Inspection and didn't see anything, truck was driving fine, etc. Didn't think anymore about it and continued on. Didn't smell anything the rest of the week.

Today on my way home I stopped at a rest area, (also directly on top of a pretty intense hill) got out of the truck and noticed it really bad, specifically on the rear passenger side.

Truck has just over 8,000 miles, and is going in for service hopefully sometime this week. Definitely going to bring it up, not sure if the hills have anything to do with it?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Just got back from a work trip; was gone for two weeks and on one of my days off I went for a little day that involved going a pretty steep/ long hill. On the way up I stopped at a viewpoint and in getting in and out of the truck I noticed a burning rubber smell. Did a quick Inspection and didn't see anything, truck was driving fine, etc. Didn't think anymore about it and continued on. Didn't smell anything the rest of the week.

Today on my way home I stopped at a rest area, (also directly on top of a pretty intense hill) got out of the truck and noticed it really bad, specifically on the rear passenger side.

Truck has just over 8,000 miles, and is going in for service hopefully sometime this week. Definitely going to bring it up, not sure if the hills have anything to do with it?
Mine has 9500 miles and still when I run in sport mode, I notice the burning smell from the passenger side rear wheels usually. If you get any word from from service please post. For me it's only when I run in S mode....

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has 9500 miles and still when I run in sport mode, I notice the burning smell from the passenger side rear wheels usually. If you get any word from from service please post. For me it's only when I run in S mode....
Will do. That's odd (about the sport mode). I was in Drive both times. I did some research on the web, one of them being a hose or electrical system burning- being in contact with hot exhaust, although that wouldn't help in your case. I would say that it may be as Cape Cruiser said a problem with the rear axles. Another note I just remembered; this morning I was checking out of the hotel and had started the truck remotely. While I was cleaning the snow off I smelt it faintly (again rear of truck).
This if definitely a new issue. I will have had the truck for a year come April 15th. Fingers crossed ? I get answers from service.

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I'm gonna hang around for the update "just in case".

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
See it’s thread like these that get the senses in overdrive. Put it in sport mode this morning on my way to work. Doncha know I started smelling a burning rubber smell. Now, is it my imagination or is there a problem? ?

Think I’ll be keeping an eye on this one and see if it turns into anything other paranoia ?

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Could this just be a characteristic of the new emissions standards? I have a street bike that is euro 5 and has a burning plastic smell from the exhaust side. I've searched hi and low in a panic lol and narrowed it down to coming from exhaust. Bike has 10k on it now and still has the smell.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
See it’s thread like these that get the senses in overdrive. Put it in sport mode this morning on my way to work. Doncha know I started smelling a burning rubber smell. Now, is it my imagination or is there a problem? ?

Think I’ll be keeping an eye on this one and see if it turns into anything other paranoia ?
What is it inside or outside the truck?
Sponsored