Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The clicking is just letting you know it's about to fail. Mine did the same then one day it broke. There is an easy DYI fix for it if you're handy. I did this last spring and now all I do is twice a year is manually move the arm myself.

There's a video from @dmeyer302 which walks you through the steps to get to the actuator. It takes roughly 30 minutes to do this part. Then about 15 minutes twice a year to change it over.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...g-noise-from-the-dash.9659/page-2#post-223216
By leaving a couple of the lower dash panels off I can actually adjust mine by hand on the road. I just haven’t gotten around to pulling the box out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
The clicking is just letting you know it's about to fail. Mine did the same then one day it broke. There is an easy DYI fix for it if you're handy. I did this last spring and now all I do is twice a year is manually move the arm myself.

There's a video from @dmeyer302 which walks you through the steps to get to the actuator. It takes roughly 30 minutes to do this part. Then about 15 minutes twice a year to change it over.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...g-noise-from-the-dash.9659/page-2#post-223216
What do you mean 15 minutes twice a year to change it over? This is another thing that has not worked since I got the truck…..they just kept telling me I didn’t know how to work the heating and air. I could never get the air (hot or cold) to come out the vents i wanted it out of.

OP
OP

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
What do you mean 15 minutes twice a year to change it over? This is another thing that has not worked since I got the truck…..they just kept telling me I didn’t know how to work the heating and air. I could never get the air (hot or cold) to come out the vents i wanted it out of.
And, is that little plastic box the damper box? Is there a generic you can get from rock auto?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Dee, sorry you are having these issues. Ford should step up. A few heater problems on here got some help with the cost after going through Ford Customer Service.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When the actuator breaks that's what controls the heat to cool arm or whatever it's called. So now you have to manually do it yourself by rotating the arm. Up is for cool and down is for heat. Even with the extended warranty I'm not letting the dealer rip apart my dash and take the chance of having rattles afterwards. If you watch the video in the link he shows you how to do this. It's really easy and yes you (actually we) shouldn't have to do this but it's an easy fix.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
What really sucks is that they have changed to EGR valve due to a bad design, but yet Ford has not put out a recall. So, I now have a newly designed EGR valve in my truck. Service manager said I would not have this problem again. GRRRR!
Tightened Fed emissions standards forced makers to rely on EGR systems on many engines, I think it was around the time the standards were tightened that the Feds allowed only a few major components to have 8yr/80k coverage - and we foot the bill for all the other stuff after 2yr/24k miles. I'm not holding my breath for an EGR valve recall - most people will be over the 2/24 period when the thing fails.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
When the actuator breaks that's what controls the heat to cool arm or whatever it's called. So now you have to manually do it yourself by rotating the arm. Up is for cool and down is for heat. Even with the extended warranty I'm not letting the dealer rip apart my dash and take the chance of having rattles afterwards. If you watch the video in the link he shows you how to do this. It's really easy and yes you (actually we) shouldn't have to do this but it's an easy fix.
Sounds like Ford needs to go old school.
237 Rotary Universal Push Pull Choke Cable 63" Inner 60" Conduit (2-3/4" Travel) (amazon.com)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That would be a nice fix. I wish it wasn't such a tight area or I'd try rigging something up with that.
Seems to me the egr valve sits in a fairly accessible area of the engine but not sure where one would attach that cable and it would require constant adjustment to ensure emissions don't exceed mandated levels. But necessity is the mother of invention.

OP
OP

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet

I just found a video on you tube that talks about my problem. Yes, the actuators may need changing, but it is a big box under the dash that needs replaced…..and that is why the direction of vents will not change. I have brought this up at least twice with dealers and they just came out and showed me how to work it…for some reason it was not a problem for them

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have brought this up at least twice with dealers and they just came out and showed me how to work it…for some reason it was not a problem for them
Try running it on full heat for 15 minutes and then see if they can work it. The heat is what warps the box. I'm sure it works fine for them when it's all cooled off.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Apparently, the EGR valve is not included in this warranty
EGR is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" It is a Primary emissions device designed to lower combustion chamber temperature and reduce NO2 emissions.
Should be on the list of covered items.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I just bought my 2019 a couple months ago. I’m right around 36,000 miles. This thread motivated me to contact the Ford dealer I bought it from to provide me some extended warranty options. Probably hear back next week sometime. I’m thinking a plan that covers pretty much everything for a couple years and 24,000 additional miles. Dealer gave me a lifetime on power train (including turbo) when I bought the truck. I don’t think most folks keep their trucks 10 years and 200k miles like me. ?
Make sure you get more than one quote, there is a huge markup on extended warranties by dealers. I saved $1500 over the Dealer by going with Zeigler Ford online. Same Ford ESP but much cheaper without the dealer markup.

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you get more than one quote, there is a huge markup on extended warranties by dealers. I saved $1500 over the Dealer by going with Zeigler Ford online. Same Ford ESP but much cheaper without the dealer markup.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you recommend just calling/emailing a few different Ford Dealers in the area?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I already had that fixed….no choice…light on all the time and loss of power. He said it was not covered
You need to go to another dealer, he saw you coming. My wife had the same issue with her car, she took it in for service and was told her brakes were shot and needed to be replaced. She called me and I called the service writer to put it up on the rack and I would be right down. Guess what, brakes were fine, and I chewed out the service writer for trying to scam a lady, happens all of the time.
Sponsored