SSM 49264 - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So I got my Ranger back today after the climate control module change out/dash pull....needless to say they really screwed me around cosmetically. So if you hear a very loud noise from my direction tomorrow around lunch time, it's just me letting my dealer know how I feel about this warranty repair work. I brag on these guys all the time in here and I'm am so ticked off!
Just for starts, my door sills were on the wrong (opposite door), so they broke a clip on both. Had them just sitting on top of the assembly, I got them in fairly well, but the drivers side has a spot that won't sit right now because of the broken clip. Then the two bottom trim pieces along side the center control panel for the HVAC..etc are completely out of alignment with the edge of the control panel and the trim piece above. This is on both sides. I was able to dissect the drivers side trim piece along with the drop panel under the steering wheel (the trim piece abuts the drop panel to the right on drivers side). Anyway, they broke a clip on the trim piece and on the drop panel, along with the middle screw part of one of those stupid fasteners was completely gone. Bottom line, they will fix every single clip, screw, trim panel....etc or I'm going completely nuts on the leadership of this place. Papaw is a nice man....very nice....and as such, if your not careful you will hurt my feelings and that is not good.....because I'm a very nice man ;)
This is where I sadly become really good at shaming folks that do subpar work on a new vehicle, under warranty, owned by a veteran! I'm knowing Ford wants nothing to do with that mess....lol.
I'm sure they will see the error of their ways once I point it out in detail....I'm pissed...can you tell?
BTW...not sure if my climate issue is fix yet or not...stay tuned.

Update...my awesome service advisor Oz is back from a family emergency. He told me to send pictures of the trim pieces and everything that is not right cosmetically and they will order whatā€™s needed to take care of my truck. This guy has taken pretty good care of me thus far. He was gone when they were finishing up my climate module work. Continue to stay tuned....

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sounds like you are in need of a different dealer. My suggestion is to go to Silverthorne and have the guys at Summit Ford work on it. Yes it is a trip but I used to work with the techs there and they know what they are doing!!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
condolences - it's unfortunate that you to have that type of repair done - it does take an experienced tech to get things back together and one that has the knack for that type of work. It's the type of job that warrants an interview with the tech or a review of credentials before turning your auto over to them.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I wonder how many trucks have this issue? Unfortunately, mine might be one of them. Yesterday, I was riding passenger in my truck while my wife drove. The ventilation system was set where the heat was blowing out of the dash vents and was set for 72 degrees. After the truck warmed up, I lowered the temp setting to 68 degrees and the air coming out of the vents was still very warm. I kept lowering the temp, but the air coming out remained very warm. Nothing changed until I set it to the very lowest setting. I have not heard any clicking/snapping noise. I am hoping it was a fluke yesterday.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you are in need of a different dealer. My suggestion is to go to Silverthorne and have the guys at Summit Ford work on it. Yes it is a trip but I used to work with the techs there and they know what they are doing!!
Sadly Frenchy my 3/36 is almost up and they have my comprehensive 5/125 service contract I purchased with the truck. I have been very happy with the work this place has done in the past. What it seemed like was they wanted to get me out of the rental and the truck out of their shop as fast as possible when they were trying to get it back together. I also have a small plastic tab sticking out of the dash insert where the center speaker normally goes with the upgraded Sony audio (right next to the temp sensor). After finding all the broken clips I'm going to insist they do some replacement of trim pieces they damaged. If you can't take it apart and put it back together then don't touch it! I was a big time stereo buff growing up (still am somewhat), and I know I could do a MUCH better job with the removal and re-installation...no doubt.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how many trucks have this issue? Unfortunately, mine might be one of them. Yesterday, I was riding passenger in my truck while my wife drove. The ventilation system was set where the heat was blowing out of the dash vents and was set for 72 degrees. After the truck warmed up, I lowered the temp setting to 68 degrees and the air coming out of the vents was still very warm. I kept lowering the temp, but the air coming out remained very warm. Nothing changed until I set it to the very lowest setting. I have not heard any clicking/snapping noise. I am hoping it was a fluke yesterday.
I only heard the clicking noise a couple of times. That was just an after thought. The big evidence was the lack of heat/cool on one side or the other.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I wonder how many trucks have this issue?
Let's hope it's not too extensive a problem and that owners don't experience it after the warranty expires as it's both a costly repair and can result in cosmetic and squeak/rattle issues if not done properly. If it's a poor design like Saabs had from their Valeo ACC boxes - shafts cracking, servo motors misaligning and the plastic box itself warping - then we are in for trouble.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sadly Frenchy my 3/36 is almost up and they have my comprehensive 5/125 service contract I purchased with the truck. I have been very happy with the work this place has done in the past. What it seemed like was they wanted to get me out of the rental and the truck out of their shop as fast as possible when they were trying to get it back together. I also have a small plastic tab sticking out of the dash insert where the center speaker normally goes with the upgraded Sony audio (right next to the temp sensor). After finding all the broken clips I'm going to insist they do some replacement of trim pieces they damaged. If you can't take it apart and put it back together then don't touch it! I was a big time stereo buff growing up (still am somewhat), and I know I could do a MUCH better job with the removal and re-installation...no doubt.
Even though you have a comprehensive warranty through the dealership you can still use it anywhere else and other dealerships.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Well... I have the same issue going on now. Hot on the drivers side and adjustable on the passengers side. I've located the blend door actuator for the drivers side and it does move when changing between LO and HI temp settings but the temperature does not. I can hear a mild change in air "sound" when the motor moves but no change in temp. Really not looking forward to the idea of having the dealer rip apart my dash only to make it never go back the same.

Im going to dig through FORscan and see if there is a relearn option for the HVAC system or similar.

Edit: looks like a common problem with the actuator but mine will move to both end points and still not change temp.

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
*BREAKING NEWS*

Put your pitchforks away, the dash doesn't have to come out.

I too was staring down the barrel of a warranty repair and a dash that rattles for the rest of time. But that just really wasn't in the cards for me. So I went rogue...I have no idea if the dealer will cooperate and replace my actuator for me since they didn't do the work. But even the ~$35 I would have to pay on my own for the actuator is WAY better than having the dash pulled.

I present to you...the trick

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*BREAKING NEWS*

I too was staring down the barrel of a warranty repair and a dash that rattles for the rest of time. But that just really wasn't in the cards for me. So I went rogue...I have no idea if the dealer will cooperate and replace my actuator for me since they didn't do the work. But even the ~$35 I would have to pay on my own for the actuator is WAY better than having the dash pulled.

Thanks for the video!

After looking at mine last night I came to the same conclusion. Itā€™s accessible enough to me that Iā€™ll never ask the dealer to destroy my dash for free.

Currently itā€™s working after a key cycle but Iā€™m sure it will act up soon. So now to find the part before they go out of stock for the next two years.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
*BREAKING NEWS*

Brilliant. Great video. I would do that in a heartbeat. Not having an issue but I will certainly keep this in mind if I do. Thanks.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€˜m still waiting for my replacement dash panels. Ford assured me they are on order. HVAC is working great since the module replacement. My dash does not rattle at all.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€˜m still waiting for my replacement dash panels. Ford assured me they are on order. HVAC is working great since the module replacement. My dash does not rattle at all.
Do you know which part numbers they replaced?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know which part numbers they replaced?
I do not off hand but will look at the service invoice this evening and see what that says. I guess I didnā€™t realize there was more than one part. I was told they were changing the ā€œClimate Control Moduleā€. To me that means 1 complete assembly, but Iā€™m old school. ?
Sponsored