Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I figured as much. I just can't seem to pass up a little good natured long distance shenanigans.
Ya I know right? I love the click bait thread typos that can't be edited by OP ?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what video you were watching. Changing the oil is not difficult at all. The filter placement sounds bad when you first hear about it, but it's really pretty readily accessible.
Totally agree 100%.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what video you were watching. Changing the oil is not difficult at all. The filter placement sounds bad when you first hear about it, but it's really pretty readily accessible.
Hi Joe,

My 71 year old body had no problem changing the oil. Removing a simple skid plate to get to the drain plug was no biggie. Filter removal on the back side of the left front wheel was a non event.

This is expected when you have a designed vehicle in which you introduce a different engine.

I suspect the Mobile Quick Lube has more problems than the Ranger. Needs a new manager and probably hiring young techs that have used a wrench before.

I think you can Yelp and maybe the Mobile website...give them the lowest rating.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
I will say if the car isn't lifted, getting to that filter would be a pain. Also I once worked at one of those places. And yes, there is a lot of shady shit. Better to take it at least to a reputable independent shop. Fyi I do my own oil at work with a hoist.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I will say if the car isn't lifted, getting to that filter would be a pain. Also I once worked at one of those places. And yes, there is a lot of shady shit. Better to take it at least to a reputable independent shop. Fyi I do my own oil at work with a hoist.
I do all my oil changes on the ground - and I have to disagree - the oil filter isn't a pain - you turn the tires to the passenger side and it is very easy to get to after you remove those three "screws" for the rubber flap. It is one of the easier oil filters to remove that I've had to deal with. Easier than my wife's C-Max for sure - I have to take off that stupid fiber "wind resistance thing" (I don't know what you call them) under the car before I can get to anything. My Honda has a similar approach except it is on the opposite side. Turn the wheels to the passenger side and the oil filter is right there.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I do all my oil changes on the ground - and I have to disagree - the oil filter isn't a pain - you turn the tires to the passenger side and it is very easy to get to after you remove those three "screws" for the rubber flap. It is one of the easier oil filters to remove that I've had to deal with. Easier than my wife's C-Max for sure - I have to take off that stupid fiber "wind resistance thing" (I don't know what you call them) under the car before I can get to anything. My Honda has a similar approach except it is on the opposite side. Turn the wheels to the passenger side and the oil filter is right there.
By far the easiest oil change compared to my tuners...no jacks needed...no reaching for blind filter near a hot exhaust...the only thing messy is the oil filter draining oil down the spout but I finally got that down with a second catch bucket lol...

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Now do that while being in a drive over trench that the quick lube places have. The would have to crawl under the side to get to it with the right angle. I just find it super easy on a hoist. Like 10 min to do an oil change.

OP
OP
parkranger

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
An update:
I went to autozone, harbor freight, and then home to change the oil myself. Mobil1 5W-30 and Mobil1 filter.

It did take me over an hour lol. ??
I live in an apartment so I have to really *clean* up everything before I can say I am done. I sure miss having my own garage. Maybe someday again...

I also don't have ramps, so I used a jack and stands which adds some time. I need that 2inch leveling kit for the front and some bigger tires so next time will be 15 minutes less. I also did use a torque wrench to reinstall the skid plate and drain plug.

My filter was on there but I still removed it by hand. I had purchased a 24 inch extension and filter wrenches just in case.

This forum is made great by its members and I am very thankful for all the knowledge and experiences that are shared here.

Thanks everybody! ?

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got tired of waiting hours at Ford for oil changes. I don't do that on my own any more.
Decided to go to Express Oil Change. They got great reviews by us. They had no prob changing it. Just a tad more than you'd get charged by Ford BUT, I never had to get out of the truck. They guide you in, take down all info and do the change. 10-15 mins out the door. Would have taken less but I was a first time customer and they were short on guy that day. Cool people.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I wouldn't trust a minimum wage grease ball changing my oil anyways. It isn't too dificult after you get the first change out of the way. I do understand not laying in snow and ice, though. Maybe get your supplies ready for a warm day?
I'm so hurt. I was once a minimum wage grease ball at a dealership. 16 years old at the time. I think I'll stop crying in a minute or two ?.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so hurt. I was once a minimum wage grease ball at a dealership. 16 years old at the time. I think I'll stop crying in a minute or two ?.
Me too....$1.47/hr...