First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's very unlikely that a dealership will deny a claim unless the issue is very clearly tied to the catch can. In the cases we've seen, an email to corporate or just going to a different dealership solves any warranty issues.

-Steve
I'm really concerned about possible warranty issues. It just seems foolhardy, IMHO, to install the catch can until the motor is out of warranty.

Has Mishimoto gone to bat for their customer(s) when Ford has refused warranty repairs and blamed the aftermarket catch can?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I'm really concerned about possible warranty issues. It just seems foolhardy, IMHO, to install the catch can until the motor is out of warranty.

Has Mishimoto gone to bat for their customer(s) when Ford has refused warranty repairs and blamed the aftermarket catch can?
It's not often that we need to, and we've never had to with Ford specifically, but we have talked to other makes' dealerships on behalf of the customer in the past. We can only provide information to the dealer, however, so in the end if the dealership really wants to deny the warranty work and corporate won't help, there's not much else we can do.

In the end, almost any modification to your vehicle that isn't sold and installed by the dealership has the potential to void the warranty if the dealer really wants to, including things like wheels and tires outside of the options offered by Ford. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does protect you to a point, but some dealerships are banking on you not hiring a lawyer to pursue a voided warranty.

I would suggest getting to know your dealership and maybe even asking them how they treat modifications in warranty situations and if the warranty is of high importance to you, hold off on modifying the vehicle until it runs out or your confident there aren't any issues that would require warranty work.

Thanks,
-Steve

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
If you think for one second that a dealer will take care of any engine issue you have after seeing one of these contraptions installed on you engine you are crazy :crazy:.

Ford learned a lot from the 3.5. I had one of the first that came out. Everyone said "You gotta install a catch can or you engine or it will gunk up and fail". Well 80,000 miles later it was running just as good as new. In fact, I am starting to feel a bit of remorse that I traded in that truck. The Ranger tows great, but it's no F-150 with the 3.5 Ecobeast.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If you think for one second that a dealer will take care of any engine issue you have after seeing one of these contraptions installed on you engine you are crazy :crazy:.
We've had a lot of warranty work done at different dealerships, including Ford for our Mustangs, F-150s, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, and our Powerstrokes with catch cans installed. Never had an issue. Many dealers know how they work and are fine with catch cans.

Now, if you rig a compressor filter or Natty Light can and some garden hose, you're definitely going to have a problem.

-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey everybody,

We have another update on this catch can kit for you. Check it out below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Free to Roam – Catch Can R&D, Part 2: Design
MG_9709.jpg

The 2.3L EcoBoost in the 2019+ Ranger was designed to preserve the earth so that you can roam it freely for years to come. It sips fuel while bounding across fields and crawling up dunes, but the 2.3L also sips something that might eventually send it to the landfill: blow-by. That’s why Mishimoto has been working on a catch can to help protect your Ranger. In our last post, we looked at blow-by and how it can affect your 2.3L EcoBoost. In this post, we’ll show what we’re going to do about it.

MG_9447.jpg

Before we discuss our design for the catch can kit, we need to learn about the Ranger’s stock crankcase ventilation system. Because the 2.3L EcoBoost is turbocharged, its CCV system is split into two sides. One side of the system operates when the turbocharger is inactive and is known as the PCV side. On the Ranger’s 2.3L engine, the PCV side of the system consists of the intake manifold, an oil separator bolted to the engine block, and a small tube connecting the two. This side also utilizes a one-way valve (the PCV valve) to prevent boost pressure from making its way into the crankcase.

The oil separator is designed to do exactly what it sounds like, separate the oil from the crankcase gasses and return clean air to the intake manifold. However, we’ve seen that many stock oil separators compromise effectiveness for cost, and they aren’t always very effective. The stock oil separator also returns the blow-by to the oil pan, which can contaminate the oil and reduce its effectiveness over time.

...Continue Reading>>>

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

I'd buy/install one when/if it gets a FoMoCo endorsement in writing.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I'd buy/install one when/if it gets a FoMoCo endorsement in writing.
You'll never get one.
Unfortunately, @RCMUSTANG is most likely correct. We're very small potatoes to FoMoCo and it's unlikely that they'll endorse a product that addresses an issue affecting their flagship engines. But, you can always buy one when your warranty runs out ;)

Is there a tentative release date?
I'll be posting the results from our testing and the link to our pre-sale this Wednesday! The catch can will be on pre-sale until about mid-November when we begin shipping.

Thanks!
-Steve

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be having a discounted pre-sale in about mid-October! We'll be posting the rest of the R&D process before then and I'll make sure to let you all know when it's on sale:rockon:

Thanks!
-Steve
Please include me in that. I followed your, “by that, I mean mishimoto’s” posts in the mustang6g.com forum when you were designing and working on the Mustang catch can. I had already purchased and installed Bob’s Catch Can. What I liked about Bob’s were the options they provided on the new connection hoses. Has Mishimoto considered these as options?

Btw, the liquid in the green cup is what came out of the catch can after 4,000 miles.

BB7345E1-1D63-4D92-BFE8-9653259D139A.jpeg

28835096-A531-479D-A509-7A2E05993A71.jpeg

Grey Razor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport • 2015 Audi S3 • 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR • 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
Occupation
Learning Technology Designer
Vehicle Showcase
...I'll be posting the results from our testing and the link to our pre-sale this Wednesday! The catch can will be on pre-sale until about mid-November when we begin shipping.

Thanks!
-Steve
Please include me on that as well!

BluBombr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
I fix cars (and gas trucks) real good.
99% of dealership technicians aren't going to give a catch can in an engine bay a second glance if a vehicle comes in for warranty repairs. That other 1% are the people who are afraid of getting "screwed" by anything being a warranty repair and are just looking for a way out of doing the work on Ford's dime since warranty labor times are low for some repairs.

I'm interested to see what the final product will look like, and if it allows me to retain the engine cover, I'd definitely be interested in joining the pre-sale.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
99% of dealership technicians aren't going to give a catch can in an engine bay a second glance if a vehicle comes in for warranty repairs. That other 1% are the people who are afraid of getting "screwed" by anything being a warranty repair and are just looking for a way out of doing the work on Ford's dime since warranty labor times are low for some repairs.

I'm interested to see what the final product will look like, and if it allows me to retain the engine cover, I'd definitely be interested in joining the pre-sale.
It looks like they're doing it the way I did forthe most part and I retained the cover without modifying it. I have pics in my thread.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.