Mishimoto catch can question

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
What's the difference between a 2-port and 3-port catch can?
Thanks in advance!
The main difference is the additional 'in' port. Some applications have dual PCV lines, or more than one line that ties into the PCV system. For those applications, it's simpler to route to a single catch can rather than add in a second can.

@Mishimoto Could you elaborate? I'm very interested to know, also.. do you sell check valves, or are check valves integrated with the catch can?

@Sign1941 This video is real helpful; (Shows a twin turbo V6 F150 with a 3-port oil catch can)

If I can be patient enough.. I might bother with cross referencing his video, and the ford ranger drawings on ford's part website. A few things that concern me in that video;
-No check valve from the air intake to the oil check cap.. meaning oil vapors can escape when you park(?) .. I have heard people finding out about fuel in their oil, often times shortly after installing an oil catch can. I heard ford ignores this, and says it's normal to have lots of fuel dilution in the oil...
-Misimoto's version doesn't have a pressure relief line on the oil check cap, from the video I believe the only difference is ford uses a pressure relief valve, I can't say how important it is.
-Multiple lines that are friction-fit, meaning they will likely get loose during adverse weather.. they should be using steel hose clamps on every line. This is a common complaint, about smelling fuel, or oil, because lines get loose.
That's a pretty involved system! I know the EB F-150's need that protection though since the produce TONs of blow-by.

The Ranger's PCV works a little different. Ford incorporated an AOS with a check valve on the block-side of the PCV. This does help mitigate some of the issues, but from our testing on similar EcoBoost applications (Mustang, Focus ST/RS) we already know that this seperator doesn't filter out everything.

So, to answer your question in a round about way, there are not check valves on our system, but the PCV system does have a check valve integrated. We currently only offer a 3/4" check valve, but that might be a little bigger than what you would need.

-Nick
Sponsored