Mice!!

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ozone generator works great for odors.
Definitely. It's what professional fire restoration guys use to get rid of smoke smells. It worked really well on eliminating the mouse smell.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
What is it with mice being attracted to my truck? I don't eat in my truck and it's always clean yet I keep having mice issues! I have a "Mouse Blaster" attached to the battery, spray mint spray in truck and have mint sent bags hanging under dash yet I just popped the hood and there is a mouse house directly on top of the battery! Literally 2 inches from the "mouse blaster". A year ago I had mice in the cab building a nest under the shift/center console. Grrrrr!!!! 3 Vehicles park in the driveway yet the Ranger is the only one that has mice problems.
Wow, mine looks just like yours but have never had a mouse issue with it. Mice will eat the wires so you do want to get Orkin or some other service that will stay on top of them. Orkin sealed entries into my garage and house with some kind of mesh that mice won't chew and doesn't rust.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm afraid my garage will be a magnet for them since it's heated but it's a steel polebarn construction. I also see an outdoor cat hanging around. Hopefully that prevents it.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for all the small wires coming off the battery? I'll try to get a picture in the morning but one of the thin wires looks like it's been chewed. Also I'm guessing this isn't covered under warrantee?

Is this mouse damage or something else? No other signs.

20221122_071257.jpg

20221122_071248.jpg

20221122_071236.jpg

20221122_071230.jpg

Last edited:

OP
OP
landiscarrier

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for all the small wires coming off the battery? I'll try to get a picture in the morning but one of the thin wires looks like it's been chewed. Also I'm guessing this isn't covered under warrantee?

20221122_071257.jpg

20221122_071248.jpg

20221122_071236.jpg

20221122_071230.jpg
Looks like mouse damage to me, and no it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Didn't think warranty would cover it. Had to ask. Looks like just the insulation is damaged, not the wire itself. I just wrapped it in electrical tape.

Anyone know what that wire is for? Guessing it has to do with the battery monitoring.

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!

Possibly a rat- there should be droppings, you would be able to tell by their size.
20221122_071257.jpg

20221122_071248.jpg

20221122_071236.jpg

20221122_071230.jpg

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Not battery monitoring.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It's hard to tell from pic, but it is Harness # 14290, by the pic is runs past the BMS, but the wiring diagram shows only one 20-gauge wire on the Battery Fuse Link and that feeds the BMS

If that wire runs to the bottom of battery post connection (White Connector) #C1135B then that's for the BMS
I checked my truck and it's all covered in insulation, so cannot see wire without cutting into it

If it runs somewhere else, get me close, and I will dig deeper, I think that wire goes past the BMS and routes back towards it, (extra wire length for strain relief) when the battery is disconnected the pic makes it look like separate (Red) Wire runs (2 separate wires) but looking at it closer that bundle coming in from the (< Right) is the incoming feed from the BCM (Monitoring Circuit) and they meet together in the uncovered harness

Attachments

Last edited:

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
When they got into mine last winter it was a mess. Smelled really bad, almost overnight. Here's the sad story:
(1) They built a nest on top of the cab air filter. This guaranteed that all feces and urine would soak into the filter and then the smell would be spread throughout the vehicle. They also scavenged anything shiny and built that into the nest.
(2) Like someone else said, they made their way inside the console by the shifter and built a nest there also.
(3) Built another nest under the rear seat where the jack is stored (extended cab). That cubby is easily accessible through 4 or 5 holes into the unibody.
(4) To top it off, literally, they made their way up the driver's side A Pillar into the areas above the headliner. They proceeded to stock it with catfood they found in a bag in the garage.
(5) There may have been more nests, but I couldn't find them.

I retaliated with traps at bottoms of wheels and on top of the battery. That netted two causalities. and then the prevention measures began:
(1) Sprayed all wiring in Engine compartment with peppermint spray.
(2) Bought a fairly high-capacity Ozone generator and ran it a lot for a couple of weeks in the cab. This is a double-edged sword- Ozone displaces the oxygen and creates a fatal atmosphere in the cab and the ozone helps get rid of the odor. It's necessary to air the vehicle out before driving or the ozone will kill you too.
(3) Sprayed nesting areas with vinegar solution.
(4) Placed "Fresh Cab" bags under the seats. Reported to be unbearable for mice and has a pleasant fresh odor too.

My invasion happened in my garage with two cars and a motorcycle next to the ranger with no invasions.

Did you seal any entry holes with wire? Did your prevention measures work? Any more invasions?

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I was backing out of the drive yesterday and saw a rat run across the drive in front of me. The way he was running seemed like he had just dropped from the engine bay. I had recently seen this thread and my suspicions were high.

I checked the engine bay and I did see a few rat footprints, but nothing else seemed amiss. First thing this morning, I started up the truck and backed out of the driveway again. I told my wife to watch under the truck to see if she saw anything unusual. I heard her scream as I drove back up the drive.

I searched and found this thread: Check your air box… | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com, and immediately checked the cabin air filter.

IMG_5075.jpg

So now, I guess I will try and seal the fresh air intake to the cabin with some wire mesh and also the engine intake.

OP
OP
landiscarrier

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I was backing out of the drive yesterday and saw a rat run across the drive in front of me. The way he was running seemed like he had just dropped from the engine bay. I had recently seen this thread and my suspicions were high.

I checked the engine bay and I did see a few rat footprints, but nothing else seemed amiss. First thing this morning, I started up the truck and backed out of the driveway again. I told my wife to watch under the truck to see if she saw anything unusual. I heard her scream as I drove back up the drive.

I searched and found this thread: Check your air box… | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com, and immediately checked the cabin air filter.

IMG_5075.jpg

So now, I guess I will try and seal the fresh air intake to the cabin with some wire mesh and also the engine intake.
Been there! So difficult to keep them out and I've tried so many things!

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I sealed the holes this weekend. Copied this technique, which I think is the best solution:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/check-your-air-box….15646/page-7#post-439452

Seemed to work pretty well. I put a security camera in the truck after sealing to make sure there wasn’t any activity. Don’t want a dead rat in the duct work. All looks clear so hopefully the interior should be protected now. I guess now they will only have the engine bay to hang out in.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I sealed the holes this weekend. Copied this technique, which I think is the best solution:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/check-your-air-box….15646/page-7#post-439452

Seemed to work pretty well. I put a security camera in the truck after sealing to make sure there wasn’t any activity. Don’t want a dead rat in the duct work. All looks clear so hopefully the interior should be protected now. I guess now they will only have the engine bay to hang out in.
Nice, I just put some hardware cloth there and on the airbox intake while I was at it. Although I just ziptied it around the center support there.
Sponsored