Metal Shavings in Oil at 3650 miles, 2022 FX4 XL

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Exactly, the dealer would have never known there was chips in the oil. The new kid would be changing that oil into a big container, pulling the filter, throwing it in the drain rack, spinning on a new filter so loosely that it leaks, putting in the drain plug so tight the threads strip out the next time you do it yourself then either under filling of over filling your oil with the wrong grade and sent you on your way.
A clear and concise write up that checks all the boxes lol
Sponsored

OP
OP

TacomaRanger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
keep the samples. document it and keep an eye on it.
but, because you did the first oil change, not Ford, good luck if stuff goes south down the road.
If I had taken it to the dealer for an oil change I would have never known about the condition. Probably for the better, lol.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Exactly, the dealer would have never known there was chips in the oil. The new kid would be changing that oil into a big container, pulling the filter, throwing it in the drain rack, spinning on a new filter so loosely that it leaks, putting in the drain plug so tight the threads strip out the next time you do it yourself then either under filling of over filling your oil with the wrong grade and sent you on your way.
Couple years ago my wife got a new Chrysler minivan and the dealer gave us the first two oil changes free. The first time I changed the oil myself I ended up putting a floor jack under the wrench and the drain plug still didn't come off. Socket twisted off the head and I didn't want to round it so I stopped. I took it to the shop that my employer used for company vehicles and explained the situation. Picked it up and the shop guy says, "Yeah, you weren't going to get that plug off. There's an extra $6.95 on the bill for a new one."

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I'd probably have the dealer change oil after 1k or so just so it's "officially documented".

Doubtful but in the even the engine explodes internally, least you have proof of proper maintenance and engine swap shouldn't be too difficult for warranty.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Generally normal on first oil changes for little killing and casting bits to come out. That said I’d recommend you take any direct injected turbo engine to maximum rpm’s for a few seconds minimum to get egg’s high enough to burn out excess carbon from the turbo and cats. Engines that are worked hard once in a while almost always last longer than those who are babied.

OP
OP

TacomaRanger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
That said I’d recommend you take any direct injected turbo engine to maximum rpm’s for a few seconds minimum to get egg’s high enough to burn out excess carbon from the turbo and cats. Engines that are worked hard once in a while almost always last longer than those who are babied.
Maybe when gas prices come down a bit.

JimJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FX4. Level2. 2022 SC FX4 on order
Occupation
Retired
Performed my first oil change today on my 2022 Ranger XL at 3,650 miles and found a number of non-ferrous (probably aluminum) metal shavings in the drained oil. Truck has had mostly highway and around town miles, one light trip off-road on a moderately steep gravel road in 4x4 @ around 20-30mph, nothing crazy, probably never had the RPM above 3500. No towing.

I'm no mechanic, but any metal shavings in the oil is not good news as far as I know. Anyone had the same on their first oil change? Could this be shavings from manufacturing? Any recommendations on how I should handle this with the dealership? Engine runs fine as far as I can tell, no excess noise, nothing that would lead me to think something was wrong.

Thanks and Happy 4th.

Coin.jpg

mileage.jpg

Shavings.jpg
Engine isnt even fully broke in yet. Some metal debris is normal.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
You would be shocked at the metal that sheds off of everything, chains, gears, castings and especially the bearings (babbit type not roller) and there is a ton of metal that you really don't see, the smaller particles that are suspended in the oil.
The first oil filter will have the majority of it, you will think something is wrong if you cut one open.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
A clear and concise write up that checks all the boxes lol
They have Canadian Tire in Connecticut?

Who knew? ?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That's the effects of globalization. They gotta take the bad with the good, maybe a Tim Horton's coffee will ease the pain lol

:cool: ?? :cool:
They tried that in CT but closed them all time in 2010. Folks there have to drive to NY or ME now.

D6A0E055-D8E1-4A91-9FC3-D419A396A037.jpeg

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Glitter in the oil = bad

Shavings on a new engine might just mean castings, threads, break-in.

That is why I change my oils (Diffs and TC too) at the first 600ish miles, 1k KM on all engines.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I expect some fine glitter in a first oil change. The bigger pieces would be what would catch my eye. That said, I'd see what the next change is and maybe send a sample in to Blackstone to see what might be in the oil.
Sponsored