First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Performed my first oil change today on my 2022 Ranger XL at 3,650 miles and found a number of non-ferrous (probably aluminum) metal shavings in the drained oil. Truck has had mostly highway and around town miles, one light trip off-road on a moderately steep gravel road in 4x4 @ around 20-30mph, nothing crazy, probably never had the RPM above 3500. No towing.

I'm no mechanic, but any metal shavings in the oil is not good news as far as I know. Anyone had the same on their first oil change? Could this be shavings from manufacturing? Any recommendations on how I should handle this with the dealership? Engine runs fine as far as I can tell, no excess noise, nothing that would lead me to think something was wrong.

Thanks and Happy 4th.

Coin.jpg

mileage.jpg

Shavings.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I'm sure informing the dealer is gonna end with them saying that's breaking in a new engine! I'm surprised the filter didn't trap those particles.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Hard to tell from the pic, but looks like it could simply be aluminum casting bits which could be normal. They would be heavy enough that they would likey settle at the bottom of the pan. Cutting the filter open and expanding the filter media is the only real way to see what condition things are in.

OP
OP

TacomaRanger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'm sure informing the dealer is gonna end with them saying that's breaking in a new engine! I'm surprised the filter didn't trap those particles.
Lol, for sure. My dealer (Titus-Will) was worthless. Truck showed up with a 1/2 inch paint scratch on the rocker down to the metal, likely happened in transit. I said I wanted it fixed since I had ordered the truck and waited 6 months for it. Dealer said if I didn't take it then he couldn't guarantee it would be there tomorrow, i.e., he was going to sell it to someone else.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Forget you saw it. If it’s there next time maybe worry.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Lol, for sure. My dealer (Titus-Will) was worthless. Truck showed up with a 1/2 inch paint scratch on the rocker down to the metal, likely happened in transit. I said I wanted it fixed since I had ordered the truck and waited 6 months for it. Dealer said if I didn't take it then he couldn't guarantee it would be there tomorrow, i.e., he was going to sell it to someone else.
FUBAR!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
ive always heard a small amount of metal shavings is no problem for a new engine. but thats more than im used to seeing. could be the filter just didnt catch them so they drained out of the pan instead of being unseen forever in my old filters. id say note it but not worry as long as the truck is running fine. look at next oil change. if more show up id be calling ford.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
My Boss was in Ann Arbor a couple weeks ago for his son's graduation from residency in General Surgery. Got to tour the Ford Plant. He told me the Rangers and F-150s coming off the line are dynoed before rolled out. I have to believe him until someone proves different. So, the old days of not driving over certain speeds while breaking in your truck is thrown out the window if Ford is running dynos on fresh engines. They're obviously not worried.

OP
OP

TacomaRanger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I hope you collected these out of the pan. Still have the filter?
Yeah, still have the filter. I'm going to do a oil analysis with Blackstone to figure out what/how much there is of the material. Also monitoring my MPG pretty closely and getting ~ 22 avg which is pretty good for the FX4.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Just my $02.

From my perspective I do not think that is normal or desirable. I have done a lot of first oil changes and have never found anything but oil in the pan.

Having said that, it is tough to say if any damage might be caused by it. I think I would be inclined to cut the filter open and inspect/document it’s contents.

Buy one of those filter cutters (like $50 online), cut the top off the filter, remove the actual filter and take it apart. Do a video of the inspection.

How much of that crap got to the filter would be helpful. If the filter is clean (not full of the same stuff), you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. If the filter is all full and clogged, there is a pretty good chance some of it got to the bearing surfaces and that would be suboptimal.

Document it all with pics or clips. If there was a bunch of crap in the filter, I would approach Ford and ask for an extended powertrain warranty. You likely won’t get it but will be armed if down the road you need have your attorney start writing demand letters.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Forget you saw it. If it’s there next time maybe worry.
Exactly. Could be from the manufacturing process, settled in the bottom of the pan, and never circulated through the engine. Change the oil in another 3000 miles and see if there's any more. Also get a used oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. Wear metals ppm will be a little higher on a new engine and go down over time but Blackstone knows this and will tell you so.

www.blackstone-labs.com

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
but, because you did the first oil change, not Ford, good luck if stuff goes south down the road.
I thought of that but the dealer probably would have drained the oil into a tank and never even seen the metal particles. And if somehow they DID see it, it's doubtful they would have told you.
FWIW, I get the oil changed at the dealer every 10k so they have a record and I do it myself every 5k in between and take a pic of the oil, filter, receipt, and odometer and upload it to my Dropbox.

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I thought of that but the dealer probably would have drained the oil into a tank and never even seen the metal particles. And if somehow they DID see it, it's doubtful they would have told you.
FWIW, I get the oil changed at the dealer every 10k so they have a record and I do it myself every 5k in between and take a pic of the oil, filter, receipt, and odometer and upload it to my Dropbox.
Exactly, the dealer would have never known there was chips in the oil. The new kid would be changing that oil into a big container, pulling the filter, throwing it in the drain rack, spinning on a new filter so loosely that it leaks, putting in the drain plug so tight the threads strip out the next time you do it yourself then either under filling of over filling your oil with the wrong grade and sent you on your way.
Sponsored