First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Generally normal on first oil changes for little killing and casting bits to come out. That said I’d recommend you take any direct injected turbo engine to maximum rpm’s for a few seconds minimum to get egg’s high enough to burn out excess carbon from the turbo and cats. Engines that are worked hard once in a while almost always last longer than those who are babied.
My system with new vehicles has been to change the oil at 2500 miles with regular liquified dinosaur oil and at 5000 miles and every 5000 after that with synthetic. I bought the Ranger slightly used with 5000 miles and the dealer had changed the oil (and windshield wipers!). That's close enough, I have the dealer change it at 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, etc. for warranty purposes and I change it in between myself at 15,000, 25,000, 35,000, etc., and take a picture of the oil, filter, odometer, and upload it to my Dropbox.
Based on past experience with other trucks, I change the axles and t-case at 30,000, 60,000, 100,000, and every 50,000 after that. The trans I leave alone because Ford makes shit transmissions and it doesn't friggen' matter if you change the fluid, they're on borrowed time after 100,000 miles.
Thank God the dealer changed the windshield wipers at 5000 miles. Who knows what horrors awaited me if that had not been done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
My system with new vehicles has been to change the oil at 2500 miles with regular liquified dinosaur oil and at 5000 miles and every 5000 after that with synthetic. I bought the Ranger slightly used with 5000 miles and the dealer had changed the oil (and windshield wipers!). That's close enough, I have the dealer change it at 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, etc. for warranty purposes and I change it in between myself at 15,000, 25,000, 35,000, etc., and take a picture of the oil, filter, odometer, and upload it to my Dropbox.
Based on past experience with other trucks, I change the axles and t-case at 30,000, 60,000, 100,000, and every 50,000 after that. The trans I leave alone because Ford makes shit transmissions and it doesn't friggen' matter if you change the fluid, they're on borrowed time after 100,000 miles.
Thank God the dealer changed the windshield wipers at 5000 miles. Who knows what horrors awaited me if that had not been done.
Might want to add the trans fluid to your 30k rotation. I always have and any stock truck has gone well past 100k on the transmission. Got 189k on a 5r100 and I beat the piss out of it. That was on a 30k cycle as well.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Might want to add the trans fluid to your 30k rotation. I always have and any stock truck has gone well past 100k on the transmission. Got 189k on a 5r100 and I beat the piss out of it. That was on a 30k cycle as well.
I did on my old Sport Trac and the trans crapped out at 132k anyway. I never touched it after it was rebuilt and drove it to 212k without a problem until the engine lost a head gasket so I traded it in. Coolant was flushed every 50k.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't change the trans fluid. I'm just saying in my case it didn't make any difference.

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I did on my old Sport Trac and the trans crapped out at 132k anyway. I never touched it after it was rebuilt and drove it to 212k without a problem until the engine lost a head gasket so I traded it in. Coolant was flushed every 50k.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't change the trans fluid. I'm just saying in my case it didn't make any difference.
Fair enough. Depending on the generation you had, the pre 2006 4 speeds were a time bomb anyway. The new 5 speeds were good but had VSS issues all the time.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
A person does Not have to have a dealership change the oil in order for a warranty to be honored. We just have to keep the oil/filter receipts.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Don't know if it will be honored, but you can upload maintenance to FordPass. Mine are in there will the dealer services.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Fair enough. Depending on the generation you had, the pre 2006 4 speeds were a time bomb anyway. The new 5 speeds were good but had VSS issues all the time.
Mine was a 2008 with a 4.0 and 5R55E 5-speed. People in the Sport Trac groups with the V8 and 6-speed had them crap out too. While nothing lasts forever, the evidence indicates that the transmissions are going to crap out sometime between 100k and 150k regardless.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Mine was a 2008 with a 4.0 and 5R55E 5-speed. People in the Sport Trac groups with the V8 and 6-speed had them crap out too. While nothing lasts forever, the evidence indicates that the transmissions are going to crap out sometime between 100k and 150k regardless.
Shame too because I think the 06 and later explorers were actually kind of sharp looking. Last body on frame and all.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Shame too because I think the 06 and later explorers were actually kind of sharp looking. Last body on frame and all.
I was at the last Sport Trac Owners Group meet at the Ford plant in Louisville in 2010. Got a tour of the plant and lunch in the executive dining room with the Ford Brass. We were told the reason they were discontinuing the Sport Trac was because of the redesign of the Explorer and they didn't sell enough Sport Tracs to justify the development costs for a pickup version. Also that body-on-frame construction was going to be pretty much finished due to fuel mileage requirements.

Me and my Trac at its birthplace:

Sport_Trac_Louisville.jpg

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
A person does Not have to have a dealership change the oil in order for a warranty to be honored. We just have to keep the oil/filter receipts.
I would go a step further and add, the times I use a dealer for oil change is the rare exception.

I always keep my receipts, BUT, I have never been asked for a receipt of any kind before was granted warranty repairs by a dealer.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I must say it does look like machining chips from manufacturing. They're not doing any harm sitting on the bottom of the sump, any small enough to go through the pickup gauze would end up in the filter. You would think Ford would be mindful of this given the grief Hyundai / Kia has suffered by not cleaning their blocks better before assembly.

Reactions: Doc

Sparky33

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 desert sand ranger
Occupation
Union electrician
I recently did my first oil change at 3600 miles.There was some gold very very fine glitter in the oil but nothing as large as in the pics.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I recently did my first oil change at 3600 miles.There was some gold very very fine glitter in the oil but nothing as large as in the pics.
has the truck been to the strippers in the time you've owned it???? I can confirm, glitter gets everywhere, no point in lying to the wife about it LOL