Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, the weight difference doesn't matter, you're talking the difference of one extra passenger, maybe? That's going to be so minimally different that unless you're *crazy* consistent with your driving habits, your mood on any given day will have a significantly larger impact on any mileage variances.

With what @P. A. Schilke above, definitely more about the crash certification for me. The last thing I want to worry about is a split tank in a crash.
Hi GK,

We has a terrible time with the Econoline splitting the tank in a crash....Between the frame rails which are ROBUST....first crashes with Stoddard Fluid as the "gas" in the tank (stoddared had the properties of gasoline without the flammability, but still burned) we torched the camera pit with a roaring fire and lost the slow speed cameras under the vehicle at impact. So using water we redid the crash. We found the driveshaft punctured the side of the steel tank. When the tank was redesigned for a blow molded plastic tank...worked like a charm.... There are three systems at Ford in which you do not F*uck....Steering, Brakes and Fuel....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

And its crash performance in a crash...Steel is less likely to perform than the plastic tanks in a crash.
Not something I would entertain without crash certification. I have seen so many crash tests where the fuel tank splits when steel and not when it is "plastic".

Choose your poison.

Sorry....Debbie Downer here... from experience...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yea, ask GM how well that worked out for them...... https://www.autosafety.org/history-gm-side-saddle-gas-tank-defect/

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've been wondering since the beginning whether this is a diesel solution that just won't translate well to the us market. Curious what kind of crash testing they do.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Hi GK,

We has a terrible time with the Econoline splitting the tank in a crash....Between the frame rails which are ROBUST....first crashes with Stoddard Fluid as the "gas" in the tank (stoddared had the properties of gasoline without the flammability, but still burned) we torched the camera pit with a roaring fire and lost the slow speed cameras under the vehicle at impact. So using water we redid the crash. We found the driveshaft punctured the side of the steel tank. When the tank was redesigned for a blow molded plastic tank...worked like a charm.... There are three systems at Ford in which you do not F*uck....Steering, Brakes and Fuel....
Hi Phil (and of course, anyone else welcome to reply),

Do you think this is why there's only a plastic fuel tank skid plate?

Could aftermarket metal fuel tank skid plates cause a similar safety problem as what you describe? Ie, "keep all metal away from the tank for crash safety"

Or, could metal fuel tank skid plates be okay?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil (and of course, anyone else welcome to reply),

Do you think this is why there's only a plastic fuel tank skid plate?

Could aftermarket metal fuel tank skid plates cause a similar safety problem as what you describe? Ie, "keep all metal away from the tank for crash safety"

Or, could metal fuel tank skid plates be okay?
Hi JB,

Like the post below from RP, there is no easy answer. I would not shy away from a plastic skid plate for the fuel tank as I think it offers good protection. The plastic shield and the plastic tank make a pretty good pair of puncture resistant fuel system components. A heavy metal shield might be good as well....a thin metal shield might act more as a can opener with its sharp edges... JMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I had to scrap a car once and I was required to document the process. A guy twice my size put the car in the air and used a pick axe to try and puncture the plastic tank to drain it. He finally gave up swinging, put the car down, flipped it on its side and rammed it with a forklift. Done.

Plastic tanks are very tough.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I'd just like to say I'm saddened the conversation has gone this direction. A long range tank on the Ranger seems awesome and this was promising. But I'm glad we're talking about it, these are elements I'd not considered before, and I think them important. What a bummer though.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@P. A. Schilke

I honestly do understand what you are saying and it makes perfect since. Why this didn't get brought up earlier is my big question.

With that said with a metal tank the risk is most likely there but I suspect the tank will be a bit tougher than what you may be thinking. How did I come to this conclusion? Well the tank is being designed not just for a bigger range but for offroad. When going offroad all sorts of things can happen especially to the fuel tank. Do they perform crash tests to the tanks? I cant say for sure on that since I dont live in Australia nor have i been there either. Does it mean the tank is invincible? Not necessarily but since I still feel the use for the bigger fuel tank I am still oing to move forward with it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke

I honestly do understand what you are saying and it makes perfect since. Why this didn't get brought up earlier is my big question.

With that said with a metal tank the risk is most likely there but I suspect the tank will be a bit tougher than what you may be thinking. How did I come to this conclusion? Well the tank is being designed not just for a bigger range but for offroad. When going offroad all sorts of things can happen especially to the fuel tank. Do they perform crash tests to the tanks? I cant say for sure on that since I dont live in Australia nor have i been there either. Does it mean the tank is invincible? Not necessarily but since I still feel the use for the bigger fuel tank I am still oing to move forward with it.
Hi Chris,

First I heard it was steel.... There is another concern with respect to the fuel tank straps to secure the tank to the frame. There are two items on a truck that if God wanted to punish you in your next life, he would make you a shackle bracket or a fuel tank strap. I had a CAE engineer, Dennis M that did nothing but work on fuel tank straps....The amount of loading these straps have to withstand in both "static" and dynamic cyclic loading makes designing robust straps a challenging job. There is more than just taking strap steel and putting a few bends in it....

Good luck with your project and please...no Ranger Flambe....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Following for further updates

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
There are three systems at Ford in which you do not F*uck....Steering, Brakes and Fuel....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
it’s almost like those are critically important not to fail. :)

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
Hi JB,

Like the post below from RP, there is no easy answer. I would not shy away from a plastic skid plate for the fuel tank as I think it offers good protection. The plastic shield and the plastic tank make a pretty good pair of puncture resistant fuel system components. A heavy metal shield might be good as well....a thin metal shield might act more as a can opener with its sharp edges... JMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So now I wonder what it would cost (and who could do it) to fabricate a larger plastic tank and bash plate?
For time being, I'm looking at two to three 5gal gas cans to be carried on a rack in or over the bed.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So now I wonder what it would cost (and who could do it) to fabricate a larger plastic tank and bash plate?
For time being, I'm looking at two to three 5gal gas cans to be carried on a rack in or over the bed.
In all honesty I don't believe anyone else is going to bother making a bigger fuel tank for the Rangers. Why you might ask? Well every other company I talked to said there's no market for it. The funny thing is I don't think they even bothered to try. I also know that later this month I will have the bigger fuel tank put in my truck as planned with long-range Automotive and after that we should be good to go on getting everyone else who wants a bigger fuel tank good to go. To my understanding bigger fuel tank should have a skid plate for it. Yes it will be metal but as I've already stated for the quality out in Australia the tank should still be pretty darn sturdy

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will also add this is going to be a 34 gallon fuel tank. To something that might be a bit much but then again it is better than 19 gallons
Sponsored