Long range fuel tank

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
The ranger tows like a pro. My trailer weighs in at 5300 lbs fully loaded (I do have a weight distributing hitch). This thing is a beast at towing. Also, it's not a land yacht. Once I have offloaded my trailer, I have a very easy to drive, fun and easy to park vehicle. Full size trucks are great at towing but they are a pain in the ass to get around in a city. I have towed my trailer about 4000 miles out of my Ranger's total of 30k at this point and I have three main complaints.

1) The stock rear suspension is too squishy. I have fixed this (and fairly cheaply) with the excellent Eibach rear shocks that out on the market. This pretty much eliminated the "rolling waves" motion that the stock suspension suffers from.
2) No Extended mirrors other than clip-on ones. The clip-on ones work but still suck in comparison to exact fit or extendable mirrors.
3) I get between 8 and 12 mpg while towing. The fuel light comes on when the tank is shortly below the 50% mark. I'm glad I have a shorter trailer because having to fill up every ~120-150 miles really sucks. People who don't tow on a regular basis don't understand the pain of being forced to fill up at random and oftentimes extremely inaccessible service stations. Having a longer range means more options and less time wasted.

Sign me up for a replacement tank if/when they are available.

IMG_20200801_113643.jpg
I totally agree with everything you said. As to your complaint #2, I have had great luck with this mirror (link below). Not as handy as a built in extendable mirror, but it works much better then the clip on kind. Plus it sits outside of the factory mirror so it does not interfere with any of the sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-Deluxe-Towing-Mirror/dp/B00029WRJQ/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3HE3GW3OOJGBE&dchild=1&keywords=extension+mirrors+for+towing+trailer&qid=1609200774&sprefix=mirror+for+trailer+towing,aps,245&sr=8-12
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
The ranger tows like a pro. My trailer weighs in at 5300 lbs fully loaded (I do have a weight distributing hitch). This thing is a beast at towing. Also, it's not a land yacht. Once I have offloaded my trailer, I have a very easy to drive, fun and easy to park vehicle. Full size trucks are great at towing but they are a pain in the ass to get around in a city. I have towed my trailer about 4000 miles out of my Ranger's total of 30k at this point and I have three main complaints.

1) The stock rear suspension is too squishy. I have fixed this (and fairly cheaply) with the excellent Eibach rear shocks that out on the market. This pretty much eliminated the "rolling waves" motion that the stock suspension suffers from.
2) No Extended mirrors other than clip-on ones. The clip-on ones work but still suck in comparison to exact fit or extendable mirrors.
3) I get between 8 and 12 mpg while towing. The fuel light comes on when the tank is shortly below the 50% mark. I'm glad I have a shorter trailer because having to fill up every ~120-150 miles really sucks. People who don't tow on a regular basis don't understand the pain of being forced to fill up at random and oftentimes extremely inaccessible service stations. Having a longer range means more options and less time wasted.

Sign me up for a replacement tank if/when they are available.

IMG_20200801_113643.jpg
Not promoting (we do not offer nor have we a relationship with the firm), but we have friends with Clearview mirrors in AU as below. The US site does not list Rangers, but neither do they list Prado 120/150 Toyotas, which match Lexus GX 470/460.

Worth a shout to either the US guys or the home office if you want fully equipped towing mirrors for your Rangers.

Australian site here https://www.clearviewaccessories.com.au/product/ford-ranger-2012-to-current/

USA site here https://www.clearviewmirrorsusa.com/
1609201016067.png

Jonnmaggie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT all magnetic
Already called and asked, because of BLISS and the trailer monitoring, they said there was very little reason to sell/make. Only a few have said they would drop the cash on it when surveyed so....I would love a set of 08 super duty mirrors for towing.

Last edited:

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
Already called and asked, because of BLISS and the trailer monitoring, they said there was very little reason to sell/make. Only a few have said they would drop the cash on it when surveyed so....
Oh well....

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I couldn’t agree more even just another 2-5 gallons would be appreciated.
I had the large tank on my 2010 F-150 and both my buddies had to fill up their Toyota Tudras every 150 miles or so, I could go well over 300 even towing a 32 ft 8000lb trailer.
Brian
buy a ~20 gallon fuel cell from jegs and mount it on a small pallet in the bed, little transfer pump and you can use it on both the truck and if you have one a generator.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
buy a ~20 gallon fuel cell from jegs and mount it on a small pallet in the bed, little transfer pump and you can use it on both the truck and if you have one a generator.
And you loose bed space wich is why a bigger tank is nice

TCASMER

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew 4x4; 2019 Lexus ES 300h; 1937 Ford Tudor Slantback
Occupation
Retired small business owner
So as I am sure most people here including myself would like the option of a bigger fuel tank for offroad adventures or perhaps you dont want to stop as much on the road. Currently I am in the works with a company from Australia to get such to happen. Prices on the fuel tanks would be unknown at this time but if we can get enough support I'm sure we can get a nice group buy too happen. I want your input on this guys!! Lets make this a possible thing!!
I am interested also. It would make longer trips much easier.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
And you loose bed space wich is why a bigger tank is nice
thats why I said mount it on a pallet, pull it out when you don’t need it, we have a few transfer tanks set up like this rather then being locked to one truck

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
thats why I said mount it on a pallet, pull it out when you don’t need it, we have a few transfer tanks set up like this rather then being locked to one truck
But when you have it in the bed what happens? You loose bed space. That is the point

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
But when you have it in the bed what happens? You loose bed space. That is the point
for a couple grand difference I’ll live, that’s what the bed is for, or I’ll take a bigger truck if I really need it

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Couple of points -
  1. To each his own - upgraded main tank, transfer tank in bed, Jerry cans, all good.
  2. We offer solutions the market asks for - no demand, no need, fine with us
  3. One example - we just got our first Kaymar bumper kit for Rangers - in the container seen in our holiday video here https://fb.watch/2LbNLAqVLp/
  4. So if you want to carry more fuel, without replacing your tank or putting a tank or cans in your bed, you can configure the bumper to put four Jerry cans on the back, but well-secured. Looking for a Ranger in Boise for a test-fit if there are any volunteers out there :sunglasses:
Thanks, all!

Ward and Khris
Ranger.jpeg

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
Jerry cans and transfer tanks, etc are all good, but I hate dealing with that stupid little funnel behind the seat. If it had a normal gas cap that would be one thing. But to have to use the funnel and then bag it or clean it or whatever so it doesn't smell up the cab is just a pain.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Also with an in bed tank, that doesn't directly feed the motor, you still have to find a place to stop and refuel the main tank.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Couple of points -
  1. To each his own - upgraded main tank, transfer tank in bed, Jerry cans, all good.
  2. We offer solutions the market asks for - no demand, no need, fine with us
  3. One example - we just got our first Kaymar bumper kit for Rangers - in the container seen in our holiday video here https://fb.watch/2LbNLAqVLp/
  4. So if you want to carry more fuel, without replacing your tank or putting a tank or cans in your bed, you can configure the bumper to put four Jerry cans on the back, but well-secured. Looking for a Ranger in Boise for a test-fit if there are any volunteers out there :sunglasses:
Thanks, all!

Ward and Khris

Jerry Cans, mounted such that they are the first thing that gets impacted during a rear end collision... I've never understood why that is permitted on a street driven vehicle?