Led Headlight bulbs

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Can't believe how popular these craptastic drop in LED bulbs are. Thanks for blinding everybody folks.:facepalm:
Been running JDM Astar 12k lumens for over a year and never blinded anyone. Hikari Ultra in the foglamps as well. Only got flashed when I was running 16k lumen bulb
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Been running JDM Astar 12k lumens for over a year and never blinded anyone. Hikari Ultra in the foglamps as well. Only got flashed when I was running 16k lumen bulb
The absence of flashing does not mean you aren't blinding folks. Take that garbage out of your truck, stop being cheap, and buy some real led headlights.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I'm not sure if this has been covered already in this thread, but does anyone know what the color temperature of the OEM Lariat LED headlights is?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Hello,

I went through the list of lights on page one and tried skimming this thread.

I purchased the AutoOne mini H11 LED and wasn't too happy about the hot/dark spots. Got tired of spending TOOOOO much time shopping Amazon for better LED so I ordered Phillips DiamondVision H11 5000k Halogen. The Phillips have a great light pattern and actually seem to be about 5000k but I swear may be more dim than even the stock Halogen. Probably just because I came off the LED or perhaps the blue tint on the glass is eating up some lumens.

Is there an LED out there that fits under the Ranger dustcap that comes close to halogen bulbs for light pattern? Any tips for me to help me avoid reading all 40 pages?

I am tempted to just play with different halogen bulbs at this time but most seem to have a 150hr lifespan which is nuts since the Ranger uses them as daylight running lights.

I want to try to keep the dust caps because of off-road use.

Here is what I purchased:
https://amzn.to/34WrGOe

Thanks in advance!

JimboInSoCal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Chief Tech Nerd
My experience so far.....

I ordered a pair of GTR Ultra Series 2 for the high beams, and 4 GTR CSP Minis for the low and fog lights. The fogs went in easily and no issues. The highs were a little trickier since there is not a lot room to get your hand in there but I got the Ultra Series 2s installed, beam pattern looks good and no clocking issues. When I went to install the low beams, I couldn't get the dust covers back on. It seems like the openings for the dust covers are off-center from the bulb, causing the back of the CSP Mini to obstruct the cover from going on.

I then ordered a set of Sealight Scoparc S1s. The back of the bulb and heat sink are low profile and about the same as the stock halogens so there were no fitment issues. You can't clock the S1s so the LEDs are off a little, more so on the passenger side than the drivers side. Beam pattern on the drivers side is perfect, the passenger side is rather distorted.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I may try other bulbs for the low beams but I may also wait and see what the Morimoto headlight housings are like when they're released.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I may try other bulbs for the low beams but I may also wait and see what the Morimoto headlight housings are like when they're released.
Check out the Alpharex units, several people have put them in. They look nice and the cutoff is excellent. Even the Pro's with LEDs installed.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
My experience so far.....

I ordered a pair of GTR Ultra Series 2 for the high beams, and 4 GTR CSP Minis for the low and fog lights. The fogs went in easily and no issues. The highs were a little trickier since there is not a lot room to get your hand in there but I got the Ultra Series 2s installed, beam pattern looks good and no clocking issues. When I went to install the low beams, I couldn't get the dust covers back on. It seems like the openings for the dust covers are off-center from the bulb, causing the back of the CSP Mini to obstruct the cover from going on.

I then ordered a set of Sealight Scoparc S1s. The back of the bulb and heat sink are low profile and about the same as the stock halogens so there were no fitment issues. You can't clock the S1s so the LEDs are off a little, more so on the passenger side than the drivers side. Beam pattern on the drivers side is perfect, the passenger side is rather distorted.

I gave up on LED for now and purchased Silverstar ZXE gold until I can muster the gut to buy some LED headlight buckets.

JimboInSoCal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Chief Tech Nerd
Check out the Alpharex units, several people have put them in. They look nice and the cutoff is excellent. Even the Pro's with LEDs installed.
I was looking at the AlphaRex Pro's but they use H7 bulbs for the low and high beams. I would like to preserve the investment I made in the GTR Ultra Series 2 for the high beams. I also bought the switchback lights from Diode Dynamics for the marker/turn signals that I would like to avoid throwing away. Ideally, I'd like to find a bulb that would work. I just ordered a set of Autito H11 LEDs and am hopeful they do the trick and fit.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I was looking at the AlphaRex Pro's but they use H7 bulbs for the low and high beams. I would like to preserve the investment I made in the GTR Ultra Series 2 for the high beams. I also bought the switchback lights from Diode Dynamics for the marker/turn signals that I would like to avoid throwing away. Ideally, I'd like to find a bulb that would work. I just ordered a set of Autito H11 LEDs and am hopeful they do the trick and fit.
Pay now or pay later. You will never get as good a cut off with OEM reflector housings.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I gave up on LED for now and purchased Silverstar ZXE gold until I can muster the gut to buy some LED headlight buckets.
How much of a difference to the silverstar's have compared to stock. Is it worth the price?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
How much of a difference to the silverstar's have compared to stock. Is it worth the price?
They are definitely more white than the OEM ones, but a hair of a yellow color. Mostly white though. When I turn the fogs on you can TOTALLY see the difference. I think the regular ZXE may be the same color but I went with the ZXE Gold because at that point the price is not much more.

The light pattern is perfect though.

The LED lights for sure are more intense white light but the slight hot spots and dark spots annoy me and I want the dust caps since my off road use is dusty desert driving.

Check out Phillips lights too though, they have much cheaper alternatives to Sylvania and I plan to try some of theirs as I plan for spares on hand anyway.

Here was a resource I used to make the leap

That link should start it at about the 1minute mark where it shows whiteness vs brightness on bulbs tested. The normal ZXE seemed the best all around but the ZXE Gold was not tested, figured it could only be at least as good as the standard version....possibly the standard version could be more white though than the ZXE Gold.

Well, long story short, I am happy with the results. I plan on trying the two Phillips mentioned below as I want spares anyways. I just wanted to stop messing around with LED options since all the ones that will fit in the stock dust cap seem to have a trade off in beam pattern to a degree.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgraded-Headlight-Vision/dp/B00U1OL356/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=philips+h11&qid=1623867042&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgraded-Headlight-Vision/dp/B00U1OIESK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=philips+h11&qid=1623867042&sr=8-5&th=1

AVOID the Phillips Diamond Vision model though. It was for sure white/blue side but very noticeably dimmer than OEM.

halogen lights.JPG

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
As a note - This is exactly why you need to be careful with LEDs, especially drop-ins, where they don't belong. (Note: I also didn't run these bulbs luckily, I returned them after a test-fit.)

1624643267979.png

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21E053000

1624643290360.png

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
As a note - This is exactly why you need to be careful with LEDs, especially drop-ins, where they don't belong. (Note: I also didn't run these bulbs luckily, I returned them after a test-fit.)

1624643267979.png

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21E053000

1624643290360.png
This is an important thing to consider when dropping leds into the Ranger reflector housing. I have been running the Auxito 16k lumen leds in mine, in both high and low beams, for several months now. After being flashed several times, regardless of how much I adjusted the beam, I have removed the leds from my low beams. I kept the high beams in because I only use those when there’s no traffic. I am now saving up to get the Alpharex Luxx headlamps, as they provide superior light output and an incredible cutoff that is much needed when running leds. I miss my led low beams, but for the sake of other drivers on the road I had to remove them.
Sponsored