Just updated to Sync 3.4 on my Ranger 2019

DJRPM4131

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Well, if the update would actually work I could tell you. The damn truck turned itself off during the update. I just had the ignition turned on instead of wasting gas while updating. Now the SYNC system won't even start the update process at all. I reformatted the USB drive and downloaded the files again, still won't start the update with the Ranger running or not.
Maybe you should consider Master Reset: From the Sync Home Screen: Settings: General: Master Reset. Of course you'll loose any Customization, but it might get it going again.
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if the update would actually work I could tell you. The damn truck turned itself off during the update. I just had the ignition turned on instead of wasting gas while updating. Now the SYNC system won't even start the update process at all. I reformatted the USB drive and downloaded the files again, still won't start the update with the Ranger running or not.
That's why they say to keep it running, unless you're going to sit and watch it, the truck will automatically cut power at a low-power cutoff despite being in the run position in the key. I didn't run mine for most of my update, but I had to run it once in the second half of the update because I got the shutoff warning.
Maybe you should consider Master Reset: From the Sync Home Screen: Settings: General: Master Reset. Of course you'll loose any Customization, but it might get it going again.
A master reset is probably your best bet.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Master reset of the SYNC system was what it needed. The update was faster with the Ranger sitting idling too. It completed in about 20 min. It gave me an error saying the installation failed, but it actually did not fail. It worked, but I lost the climate controls just like many others. I’ll boot up FORSCAN tomorrow and add them back.

9744C34D-A8E9-4869-B8A1-4DB3B1F4EE4F.jpeg

7882F41B-0786-4878-809C-9DBDA8437C83.jpeg

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OK. Yeah, a simple reflash of the same software won't do anything. Did they escalate it at all back to Ford or anything?

You have everything needed to update if you choose to do so.
Well in a weak moment, I tried the update, it never finished as it cycled thru a brief notification that is was done, then would restart, screen would go black, system would come back on and begin updating. I got the impression that it would do this forever. I finally pulled USB..
One of the glitches I noticed was that I no longer have MPG info in the left screen of the instrument panel, it seems to think it's an auto start/stop function. My info screen acknowledges 3.4 20136 PRODUCT version, but maps are still NA 118. I'm still discovering other glitches

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well in a weak moment, I tried the update, it never finished as it cycled thru a brief notification that is was done, then would restart, screen would go black, system would come back on and begin updating. I got the impression that it would do this forever. I finally pulled USB..
One of the glitches I noticed was that I no longer have MPG info in the left screen of the instrument panel, it seems to think it's an auto start/stop function. My info screen acknowledges 3.4 20136 PRODUCT version, but maps are still NA 118. I'm still discovering other glitches
Map version will be incorrect. Sync 3.3 has a bug which did not update the map version. Sync 3.4 fixed that bug but can only read what 3.3 reports for map version and since it didn't get updated due to the bug it may not report the correct map version.. Sync 3.4 will report the correct map version for any maps loaded under 3.4

EDIT: You can verify what map version is installed by looking at the IVSU screen in the diagnostic menu.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Did the Climate Controls disappear or did Ford fix the Problem?
Very Curious.
Same software.
The restart is because the script doesn’t have a Delay option at the end yet. I was hoping g that would be fixed by now. Your software is fine though as all it is doing is running the XML tool over again, then restarting.

PalmettoRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4x4 Magnetic Ranger XLT SuperCrew with STX package
No. Same software as before.
I'm curious why they have not been able to fix the climate bug if it is such an easy fix for Forscan users. Ford knows the subset of trucks that will have this issue better than any one. This is probably a silly question, but why not push two updates to those trucks, the first changing the climate domain code and then the second would be the actual update that everyone gets?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm curious why they have not been able to fix the climate bug if it is such an easy fix for Forscan users. Ford knows the subset of trucks that will have this issue better than any one. This is probably a silly question, but why not push two updates to those trucks, the first changing the climate domain code and then the second would be the actual update that everyone gets?
it would actually be a bad thing if the hardware with the internet connection and that you plug random usb drives into had that level of access into the truck's systems. not saying it doesn't (car manufacturers have been really, really, really bad at computer security also) just that it shouldn't.

as far as fixing the problem goes, it's probably only made it through 3 or 4 levels of bureaucracy so far--long way to go.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forscan users aren't fixing software, they're changing vehicle configuration. I'm not sure if that's something they'd want to do on a wide scale, or really could do, through the interface available. Don't know enough about it. Any software fix would still need to be made, then go through a test and release process, etc.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Just got done updating. Very confusing and I am glad I read this thread prior to doing so. If I didn't know that you had to wait, rather than pulling the USB the first time they tell you to do so, i think I would be having issues.

It was still weird though. At the very end, it said completed and I can pull the USB and restart the vehicle and then it did it for me. This was the 3rd of 4th time it said to do so. Pulled it and everything seems to work. Anything I should try to make sure it does?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got done updating. Very confusing and I am glad I read this thread prior to doing so. If I didn't know that you had to wait, rather than pulling the USB the first time they tell you to do so, i think I would be having issues.

It was still weird though. At the very end, it said completed and I can pull the USB and restart the vehicle and then it did it for me. This was the 3rd of 4th time it said to do so. Pulled it and everything seems to work. Anything I should try to make sure it does?
It’s fine. It’s currently missing an option at the end causing it to auto restart. Hopefully that is fixed sooner than later.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
T
It’s fine. It’s currently missing an option at the end causing it to auto restart. Hopefully that is fixed sooner than later.
Thank you. one would think Ford could make this way less confusing.

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew XLT 4X4
I did the update a few weeks ago and lost the climate controls screen. I decided to let a Ford dealer fix it but that was a mistake. They kept it about 1/2 day and when I picked it up the service advisor told me this story.... The tech and the service manager told him that the update did away with the climate controls screen for safety reasons but at the same time enhanced the voice commands. I told the service advisor that was strange as I am on a forum (this one) and somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those that did the update did not lose the screen.

I then decided to use the Forscan to enable the Climate Domain, which I did. However, I still don't have the climate controls screen. It shows that the Climate Domain is engaged now but am I missing a step?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I did the update a few weeks ago and lost the climate controls screen. I decided to let a Ford dealer fix it but that was a mistake. They kept it about 1/2 day and when I picked it up the service advisor told me this story.... The tech and the service manager told him that the update did away with the climate controls screen for safety reasons but at the same time enhanced the voice commands. I told the service advisor that was strange as I am on a forum (this one) and somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those that did the update did not lose the screen.
How do you know they're bullshitting you? Their lips are moving. :curse:

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I then decided to use the Forscan to enable the Climate Domain, which I did. However, I still don't have the climate controls screen. It shows that the Climate Domain is engaged now but am I missing a step?
Shit, II too lost my climate screen. Is there a way to get it back without forscan? Did I do something wrong. I can look through this thread later. It thought I would ask.
Bummer.
Sponsored