First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
After running the official Ford SYNC 3.4 for a while now, there's one thing that annoys the crap out of me. When starting the Ranger, it takes an awfully long time for it to recognize and reconnect to my iPhone as an audio streaming device. It will show up on the SYNC screen as connected, but I can't select it as an audio source on the right productivity screen for a good 30-60 seconds. Also, if I'm using Bluetooth to stream audio, then shut the Ranger off, when I restart it next time, the audio system will be "off" completely. I either have to turn it back on before I can select a source, or wait forever for the SYNC system to reconnect to my phone and start playing audio again. Annoying.
Sponsored

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
After running the official Ford SYNC 3.4 for a while now, there's one thing that annoys the crap out of me. When starting the Ranger, it takes an awfully long time for it to recognize and reconnect to my iPhone as an audio streaming device. It will show up on the SYNC screen as connected, but I can't select it as an audio source on the right productivity screen for a good 30-60 seconds. Also, if I'm using Bluetooth to stream audio, then shut the Ranger off, when I restart it next time, the audio system will be "off" completely. I either have to turn it back on before I can select a source, or wait forever for the SYNC system to reconnect to my phone and start playing audio again. Annoying.
Oh Yeah! For me, I typically play an audiobook from a USB drive. Half the time, it's quick to reconnect to the USB drive. Other times, it's a crapshoot as to what source will be selected. Very Annoying to say the least!!!

Not that I want to wait that long, but it'll be interesting to see how the changes in Ford leadership will affect their approach to technology.

Last edited:

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Oh Yeah! For me, I typically play an audiobook from a USB drive. Half the time, it's quick to reconnect to the USB drive. Other times, it's a crapshoot as to what source will be selected. Very Annoying to say the least!!!
I notice this too. Most of the time if I'm listening to a USB drive when I stop it will not go back to it on restart and goes to Sirius.

I don't recall 3.3 doing this.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
That's expected. Update was pulled for MY19 Rangers. Newer build hasn't been posted yet.
Trust me, this is NOT directed toward you. I realize and appreciate that you are simply the messenger here - but you're the best source of information on this topic.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why Ford hasn't yet released a fix for Sync 3.4 for the Ranger. Yeah, I could probably update mine via FORScan, and it might even be better for me to do so. But I just hate that I have to purchase something to fix what Ford botched. I miss my climate controls!

Any guesstimate when you think they might release an update for the Ranger?

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Trust me, this is NOT directed toward you. I realize and appreciate that you are simply the messenger here - but you're the best source of information on this topic.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why Ford hasn't yet released a fix for Sync 3.4 for the Ranger. Yeah, I could probably update mine via FORScan, and it might even be better for me to do so. But I just hate that I have to purchase something to fix what Ford botched. I miss my climate controls!

What's weird is that when I check for an update, it now tells me that I have the most recent release (3.4.20136). When I was regularly checking last month, it told me that I was on the latest release of 3.3. I'm REALLY confused if they have re-released 3.4 and didn't update the rev#, if the system is wrong now, or if the system was wrong before. Climate hasn't been an issue thus far because when you turn the AC on it seems like it automatically sends it to the face vents, which is what you want. Now that winter is coming, I want to be able to toggle between defrost, defrost+feet, face only, feet only, or face+feet. Has anyone tried re-installing the 3.4 that seems to be available for download now?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid

No worries. I know they're trying to get one out ASAP, but no idea on the date as of yet. Haven't seen any updates in OASIS that I can recall either.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's weird is that when I check for an update, it now tells me that I have the most recent release (3.4.20136). When I was regularly checking last month, it told me that I was on the latest release of 3.3. I'm REALLY confused if they have re-released 3.4 and didn't update the rev#, if the system is wrong now, or if the system was wrong before. Climate hasn't been an issue thus far because when you turn the AC on it seems like it automatically sends it to the face vents, which is what you want. Now that winter is coming, I want to be able to toggle between defrost, defrost+feet, face only, feet only, or face+feet. Has anyone tried re-installing the 3.4 that seems to be available for download now?
If it let you download it (I don't think it should...), it'd be no different. No build fixing the Climate loss for the one configuration is available yet.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
If it let you download it (I don't think it should...), it'd be no different. No build fixing the Climate loss for the one configuration is available yet.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep patiently waiting :like:

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone find a way to keep New Search available with usb source while in motion? Greatly missed that from 3.3. I don't know why they disable that. It's no different then finding radio stations while driving.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Anyone find a way to keep New Search available with usb source while in motion? Greatly missed that from 3.3. I don't know why they disable that. It's no different then finding radio stations while driving.
I have been using the the voice command "Show Artist [NAME]" as this will list all albums from an artist or "Play Artist [NAME]

I tend to put gigs worth of music on a USB drive (numerous artist and/or complete discographies) so I cant always recall what is on the drive. The removal of the search function is one of the more annoying features of 3.4

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Climate hasn't been an issue thus far because when you turn the AC on it seems like it automatically sends it to the face vents, which is what you want. Now that winter is coming, I want to be able to toggle between defrost, defrost+feet, face only, feet only, or face+feet. Has anyone tried re-installing the 3.4 that seems to be available for download now?
Ohhhhhhhhh this is why people are upset about is missing from the screen! I've had my truck for probably a month or more now and I didn't even notice that there were no physical buttons for vent direction! hahaha wow.

In this vehicle and my past 3 vehicles I've only ever used AUTO since it does exactly what I would want and expect it to do. If the set temp calls for heat to be on then it blows heat downward (heat rises), and if the set temp calls for cooling then it blows upward (cool air sinks), and sometimes it does both up and down at the same time, as well as figuring out when to use defog or turn on AC . Personally I don't see why I would want to micromanage the air direction.. it "just works" and changes as needed throughout the duration of a trip where I would probably forget and end up realizing only after I became uncomfortable.. but now I understand what people are saying is missing. Funny that I didn't even notice the absence of those buttons. I think I even asked if maybe that was just an XL/XLT vs Lariat thing, thinking I had all the controls, when I did not.

Note - I am not saying that missing them isn't a legitimate issue :)

Last edited:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been using the the voice command "Show Artist [NAME]" as this will list all albums from an artist or "Play Artist [NAME]

I tend to put gigs worth of music on a USB drive (numerous artist and/or complete discographies) so I cant always recall what is on the drive. The removal of the search function is one of the more annoying features of 3.4
Yep, you can use these (or similar, like "Browse <Name>") instead. You're still limited on the number of pages that you are allowed to scroll through, but it'll at least allow you into the browse tree. The Browse button otherwise is just a shortcut to the current playlist listings.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Ohhhhhhhhh this is why people are upset about is missing from the screen! I've had my truck for probably a month or more now and I didn't even notice that there were no physical buttons for vent direction! hahaha wow.

In this vehicle and my past 3 vehicles I've only ever used AUTO since it does exactly what I would want and expect it to do. If the set temp calls for heat to be on then it blows heat downward (heat rises), and if the set temp calls for cooling then it blows upward (cool air sinks), and sometimes it does both up and down at the same time, as well as figuring out when to use defog or turn on AC . Personally I don't see why I would want to micromanage the air direction.. it "just works" and changes as needed throughout the duration of a trip where I would probably forget and end up realizing only after I became uncomfortable.. but now I understand what people are saying is missing. Funny that I didn't even notice the absence of those buttons. I think I even asked if maybe that was just an XL/XLT vs Lariat thing, thinking I had all the controls, when I did not.
Yeah it seems to work appropriately on AC. But with heat I'm much more particular. Heat dries my eyes out so I don't like it on defrost or face unless it's actually defrosting. I usually only keep it on feet. The lack of UI climate controls also makes dual climate zones a bit confusing. I'm not sure if when my passenger changes their temp if it ever syncs back up with mine or if it is now permanently set to that temp. The button to turn on/off dual zone was on the UI menu. I work in IT so I am sympathetic to tech issues more than most, but this is just a real head scratcher. You'd have HAD to test this on a couple trim levels or something before posting for download. It's not like something small that only impacts 1/50 installs. From what I've seen on here it's 90%+. That's where I'm frustrated. This was EASY to catch.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it seems to work appropriately on AC. But with heat I'm much more particular. Heat dries my eyes out so I don't like it on defrost or face unless it's actually defrosting. I usually only keep it on feet. The lack of UI climate controls also makes dual climate zones a bit confusing. I'm not sure if when my passenger changes their temp if it ever syncs back up with mine or if it is now permanently set to that temp. The button to turn on/off dual zone was on the UI menu. I work in IT so I am sympathetic to tech issues more than most, but this is just a real head scratcher. You'd have HAD to test this on a couple trim levels or something before posting for download. It's not like something small that only impacts 1/50 installs. From what I've seen on here it's 90%+. That's where I'm frustrated. This was EASY to catch.
Just a note, holding the AUTO button will turn off dual climate and set it back to your "normal" temp where you can adjust from there. I primarily used to screen for this too, so I feel your pain. Especially also coming from IT.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Just a note, holding the AUTO button will turn off dual climate and set it back to your "normal" temp where you can adjust from there. I primarily used to screen for this too, so I feel your pain. Especially also coming from IT.
?
Sponsored