January 2021 Consumer reports, just received

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
F150, Ranger, Super Duty, Edge, Escape, Expedition, and Explorer recalled because backup cameras occasionally go blank or distorted image increasing risk of crash.

2021 Compact Pickups Grades are rated higher the number, more reliable: Jeep Gladiator 99; Honda Ridgeline 62; Toyota Tacoma 58; Ford Ranger 29; Chevrolet Colorado 26, GMC Canyon 26.

All based on 1-3 year old models in each of 17 key areas over the previous 12 months...feedback from vehicle owners.
Sponsored

TexasBandit07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Tech Engineer
Wait, how much did Fiat Chrysler pay them to say that the Jeep Gladiator was the most reliable compact truck out there? I’ve got two friends with Gladiators and neither of them have gone a year without the electrical gremlins showing up in one way or another.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
F150, Ranger, Super Duty, Edge, Escape, Expedition, and Explorer recalled because backup cameras occasionally go blank or distorted image increasing risk of crash.

2021 Compact Pickups Grades are rated higher the number, more reliable: Jeep Gladiator 99; Honda Ridgeline 62; Toyota Tacoma 58; Ford Ranger 29; Chevrolet Colorado 26, GMC Canyon 26.

All based on 1-3 year old models in each of 17 key areas over the previous 12 months...feedback from vehicle owners.
If someone gave me a Gladiator, I'd turn around and sell it.

In no way can I believe it's more reliable than a Honda/Toyota/Ford

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Regardless of how high they rate the Gladiator, it will always be fugly.
it would have been popular in the 90's when the Cherokee sport and Commanche were a hit..now it just looks dated and trying too hard.

As far as recalls go we are unpaid beta-testers for my wife's '20 Escape Hybrid..going back yet again for broken cup holder in front console and wireless phone charger inoperable. Its been in about 6 times for random fit 'n finish stuff. Mechanically its awesome and gets her 40 mpg. Lucky we have a good service center and two great service managers who share running the dept. they always get her a ride home or a loaner if she cant remote office at home for the day or two. and when the tech-monkeys make a mistake that I see they make it right. On my Ranger it gets hand washed and parked/locked way off to the side so it does not get dinged. They understood when I told them I'm a 'car guy' and have an eye for details...one of only a few who have in a long time. So its nice that I dont have to go in and jump in their $hit for dumb $hit..;)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
it would have been popular in the 90's when the Cherokee sport and Commanche were a hit..now it just looks dated and trying too hard.

As far as recalls go we are unpaid beta-testers for my wife's '20 Escape Hybrid..going back yet again for broken cup holder in front console and wireless phone charger inoperable. Its been in about 6 times for random fit 'n finish stuff. Mechanically its awesome and gets her 40 mpg. Lucky we have a good service center and two great service managers who share running the dept. they always get her a ride home or a loaner if she cant remote office at home for the day or two. and when the tech-monkeys make a mistake that I see they make it right. On my Ranger it gets hand washed and parked/locked way off to the side so it does not get dinged. They understood when I told them I'm a 'car guy' and have an eye for details...one of only a few who have in a long time. So its nice that I dont have to go in and jump in their $hit for dumb $hit..;)
The Commanche pick-up was pretty cool and looked like a regular pick-up instead of like a Jeep with an awkward afterthought. Actually, it looked a lot like a first generation Ranger.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The Comanches had that sweet Renault 4.0 liter straight six when Renault owned AMC. One of the most refined engines of its day.
051018-1987-Jeep-Comanche-1-e1526017122587-630x395.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

When you are behind the scenes and dealing with Consumer Reports, you realize that you bite the bullet on reading this Mag as required by Ford until retirement. I cancelled my subscription and would never entertain resubscribing. So full of BS!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Hi Folks,

When you are behind the scenes and dealing with Consumer Reports, you realize that you bite the bullet on reading this Mag as required by Ford until retirement. I cancelled my subscription and would never entertain resubscribing. So full of BS!

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

I'd like to hear your experience with CR and the issues you have with them. As far as automotive media goes, I would put them at the top of the list in terms of being unbiased. They buy long term test vehicles and rent short term test drivers rather than taking free inventory from manufacturers. They have dedicated individual test people in most areas of the car from tires to child seat installation.

As far as the rating goes, when I bought my 2019 in May 2020, part of the reason I went with this over the Ridgeline was because the CR scores were very high for the Ford (Ridgeline was still higher but the other reason I didn't get one of those was because it's ugly as sin). I was disappointed when I got the big yearly auto review issue to find that the scores for the Ranger dropped significantly. However, after reading this sub regularly, it's not surprising considering the myriad of issues that we've had. I believe that the initial high ratings were based on the fact that this Ranger has been sold abroad for years and the powertrain was already in use in other Ford vehicles. As far as first-year vehicles go, the 2019 Ranger was a pretty safe bet to be reliable. Powertrain major still has good scores, but it's all the other issues that we've been having that brought the reliability score down.

The 2020 model still has high scores at CR It's the 2019 that's the issue on CR's site.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I'd like to hear your experience with CR and the issues you have with them. As far as automotive media goes, I would put them at the top of the list in terms of being unbiased. They buy long term test vehicles and rent short term test drivers rather than taking free inventory from manufacturers. They have dedicated individual test people in most areas of the car from tires to child seat installation.

As far as the rating goes, when I bought my 2019 in May 2020, part of the reason I went with this over the Ridgeline was because the CR scores were very high for the Ford (Ridgeline was still higher but the other reason I didn't get one of those was because it's ugly as sin). I was disappointed when I got the big yearly auto review issue to find that the scores for the Ranger dropped significantly. However, after reading this sub regularly, it's not surprising considering the myriad of issues that we've had. I believe that the initial high ratings were based on the fact that this Ranger has been sold abroad for years and the powertrain was already in use in other Ford vehicles. As far as first-year vehicles go, the 2019 Ranger was a pretty safe bet to be reliable. Powertrain major still has good scores, but it's all the other issues that we've been having that brought the reliability score down.

The 2020 model still has high scores at CR It's the 2019 that's the issue on CR's site.
The short answer is that we were forced to do ride and handling with these heavy out rigger brackets that weigh some 150lbs and it is biased to the outside of one side of the vehicle, thus throwing off the vehicle's handling. Tuning suspension for these flippin brackets was just flat stupid. We argued with CR about this poor test and they continue. We spent quite a bit of time testing with and without and all for naught.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored