Consumer Reports Finally Recommends a 2022 Pickup Truck That Isn’t a Ram 1500 or Honda Ridgeline

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My 2019 XLT Ranger is a different beast. It is a truck, it drives like one, and it rides like one. But there is one attribute which is better than my 2017 Honda EX-LT, or the Ridgeline—it absolutely tracks better than any vehicle I have owned, save perhaps for my 1986, all-urethane bushed, Merkur XR4Ti. In other words, it goes where you point it, with no falderal!
You're right. If only the software engineers took this into account.

I can't drive more than a ¼ mile down a straight road without the truck telling me to keep my hands on the wheel.

THEY ARE! I'M JUST DRIVING STRAIGHT!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You're right. If only the software engineers took this into account.

I can't drive more than a ¼ mile down a straight road without the truck telling me to keep my hands on the wheel.

THEY ARE! I'M JUST DRIVING STRAIGHT!
Did you turn it off in the settings? I usually drive with one hand on the wheel and ever since I turned it off I never got that annoying warning again.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Did you turn it off in the settings? I usually drive with one hand on the wheel and ever since I turned it off I never got that annoying warning again.
I was able to turn of the "driver alert" function. But it didn't stop the "keep hands on the wheel" messages. I've gotten to the point where I see the message in my peripheral and give the wheel the slightest of movements before the audible alert.

I'll dig into the menu and manual, whatever that's worth, and see if I missed something.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was able to turn of the "driver alert" function. But it didn't stop the "keep hands on the wheel" messages. I've gotten to the point where I see the message in my peripheral and give the wheel the slightest of movements before the audible alert.

I'll dig into the menu and manual, whatever that's worth, and see if I missed something.
I'll look later to see if I can find where I turned it off, I cant remember now seeing it was 2 years ago. It's annoyingly all right we rented a Jetta which had this and a coffee symbol which came on every 15 minutes tell you to "take a break". If I drank that much damn coffee I'd be wired!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'll look later to see if I can find where I turned it off, I cant remember now seeing it was 2 years ago. It's annoyingly all right we rented a Jetta which had this and a coffee symbol which came on every 15 minutes tell you to "take a break". If I drank that much damn coffee I'd be wired!
Thankyou.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports is notoriously hard on pickup trucks. In fact, for 2021, Consumer Reports only recommended the 2021 Ram 1500 and the 2021 Honda Ridgeline. Now, as more 2022 pickup trucks get tested by CR, we finally have another truck make the cut; the 2022 Ford Ranger. The Ranger joins the 2022 Ram 1500 and 2022 Honda Ridgeline in the winner’s circle for the first time.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consum...kup-truck-that-isnt-ram-1500-honda-ridgeline/

The one thing they don't like about the cornering was having to slow down for it. They probably tested the truck with the stock Ford shocks and struts that made it bouncy. And of course there's a higher center of gravity issue with trucks when cornering.
I tend to take consumer reports with a grain of salt anymore.
Years ago, about 2004, I bought the number one rated lawnmower that had Lawn Boy's name on it. It conked out on me and when I took it to the Lawn Boy repair shop, they told me they don't touch them because it was a cheap knock off made in Mexico that had the Lawn Boy name on it and it was a piece of junk. Lowes gave me my money back on it and I bought a Honda and it's lasted for years.
The very next year that same lawnmower was second to bottom on their list of recommended lawnmowers. Go figure. I hope they are tougher on rating pick up trucks than they are on lawnmowers.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

In the steering wheel setting go to:

Driver Assist:

Driver Alert....Once you hit ok it should bring up the screen below and make sure it's unchecked. Have you ever reset your battery? This might have defaulted it back to being checked.

IMG_4803.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
In the steering wheel setting go to:

Driver Assist:

Driver Alert....Once you hit ok it should bring up the screen below and make sure it's unchecked. Have you ever reset your battery? This might have defaulted it back to being checked.

IMG_4803.jpg
That one got rid of the coffee suggestion, but not the "hands on wheel" message for me.

Unless somehow I reverted it to factory. Never did a reset, but have played around in ForScan.

I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks again!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That one got rid of the coffee suggestion, but not the "hands on wheel" message for me.

Unless somehow I reverted it to factory. Never did a reset, but have played around in ForScan.

I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks again!
Come to think of it the hands on the wheel warning (I think) is part of the lane keep assist. Try unchecking that one and see if that works.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Come to think of it the hands on the wheel warning (I think) is part of the lane keep assist. Try unchecking that one and see if that works.
I'll try that.

Although if it's one or the other I'll probably keep the warning.

Lane assist is a pain sometimes, but I usually use it and turn it off when there's an issue, construction or whatnot.

I'll experiment with just turning the lane keep Alert off but keep the Assist on as well.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I owned a 2006 Honda Ridgeline, RTL Navi, until 2017. The only real issue I had with it, was related to the leather interior. No matter how you drove it, 14.5 in town, 20 on the highway. All around it was a good boulevard truck, you could haul some things in. It drove nice, and really didn't act like a truck.

My 2019 XLT Ranger is a different beast. It is a truck, it drives like one, and it rides like one. But there is one attribute which is better than my 2017 Honda EX-LT, or the Ridgeline—it absolutely tracks better than any vehicle I have owned, save perhaps for my 1986, all-urethane bushed, Merkur XR4Ti. In other words, it goes where you point it, with no falderal!
Merkur XR4Ti - a name I've not heard in a while, I actually test drove one before buying a 1986 Saab 9000 (1st Saab with transverse engine) - the Saab had stuff like an intercooler, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 valves per cylinder with dbl overhead cams, and the Merkur was I felt overpriced. Although just a 2.0 l engine the Saab with 188 lbs/ft torque and relatively light sub 3k curb weight trounced a merkur I once stoplight raced. My Saab lasted 250k miles before an accident took it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I owned a 2006 Honda Ridgeline, RTL Navi, until 2017. The only real issue I had with it, was related to the leather interior. No matter how you drove it, 14.5 in town, 20 on the highway. All around it was a good boulevard truck, you could haul some things in. It drove nice, and really didn't act like a truck.

I would say that a truck which is a truck, drives like a truck, and rides like a truck would be three more attributes which make the Ranger better than the Ridgeline.
The F150 is another example of an honest truck which is the most popular vehicle available.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Merkur XR4Ti - a name I've not heard in a while, I actually test drove one before buying a 1986 Saab 9000 (1st Saab with transverse engine) - the Saab had stuff like an intercooler, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 valves per cylinder with dbl overhead cams, and the Merkur was I felt overpriced. Although just a 2.0 l engine the Saab with 188 lbs/ft torque and relatively light sub 3k curb weight trounced a merkur I once stoplight raced. My Saab lasted 250k miles before an accident took it.
I had almost the exact opposite experience, the Merkur matched the Saab in every measurable way, plus it was a LOT prettier!
As for price, I found a bright red Merkur XR4Ti for $11000 out the door when their dealerships were folding across the country.
The SVO 2.3L turbo inspired me to later build an SVO Pinto Sedan, both GREAT CARS!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Confirmed on my commute last night.

Unfortunately turning the "alert" off and only leaving "aid" on doesn't get rid of it.

The only way to get rid of it seems to be to turn lane keeping off all together.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Confirmed on my commute last night.

Unfortunately turning the "alert" off and only leaving "aid" on doesn't get rid of it.

The only way to get rid of it seems to be to turn lane keeping off all together.
I checked mine again while going to work today. My lane assist is on and set to high intensity and high vibration. Strange I don't get those warnings and you do? Maybe it got sick of warning me and gave up? ?‍♂
Sponsored