Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up GM and bought GM for decades because my parents read CR and believed the reviews, but after the Saturn VTI transmission disaster, GM's epic bad faith in failing to make it right by me and 150,000 other suckers and then their bizarre folding of Pontiac in favor of keeping Buick?! I was done. Really like my STX.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I hate those who call others haters. The problem with people who think that they are so right is when they arent. Science is good opinion not so much. IMHO :)
What passes for "science" these days is nothing more than doctrine.
True science is ALWAYS skeptical.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
What passes for "science" these days is nothing more than doctrine.
True science is ALWAYS skeptical.
Totally agree that true science is always skeptical. GOOD science (REAL science) is still out there, but there are too many people SAYING they are doing science when they are not.

There is still a LOT of true/good/real science being done out there everyday.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I hate those who call others haters. The problem with people who think that they are so right is when they arent. Science is good opinion not so much. IMHO :)
You’re wrong

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I believe Consumer Reports lost its way when Marta Tellado took over as president and CEO. It now devotes more resources to consumer and political advocacy causes and less to consumer product testing/evaluation. I subscribed for decades but no more.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
...haven't read all the replies, so sorry if this is a repeat.

CR heavily leans toward Japanese vehicles. Lot 'o green circles. Oh well, opinions are like bodily orifices, ..etc. CR gave negatives to vehicles that I own, love and have had great reliability. ...if I'm shopping for a toaster or microwave maybe I'll see what CR thinks.

My opinion after owning five year 2005 or younger vehicles is that buying a turd is rare. ...the market is too competitive to produce junk. Ride, cabin space and amenities are an individual preference.

So if a person test drives a vehicle and purchases it, they ought not be trashing it later. ...this just calls their judgement into question.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I had a CR subscription for decades.
Stopped it 5 years ago. Simply because I can find so many other reliable objective info just by spending a few hours on the web. I do my own research...
CR has 3 main criteria's:
Reliability, price and safety; and their opinion is skewed depending on these:
If a car is very reliable, they will find a reason to ignore other negative factors in their score.
If a car is very expensive, they seem to try and find a fault.
If the car is safe or not, them will sink or not the car, but do they actually test the safety options or just ad a check mark that the vehicle has one or not and add up the score?
Sponsored