Threads
Reaction score
Website
5startuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Custom Tuner
I just emailed Chris from previous post. So should.i email u now or can u intercept?
I replied to your email, taking your information back to calibrations now.
Sponsored

Fordguy24

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Just wanted to say 5 star has really stepped up to the plate here and made some changes to.the tune I have requested. So far it is exactly the way I want it. I will be putting some miles on it but can already tell fuel economy is way better and no more harsh downshifts. Keep u posted!!

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Hi Andy,

Please reply with your serial number or you can email me direct at [email protected]. I am one of the "sales" guys and will make sure your issues are addressed to the best of our abilities. Very sorry this has been your experience, but we are more than happy to get things corrected for you.

Sent you an email in response, hope it gets some answers.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Just wanted to say 5 star has really stepped up to the plate here and made some changes to.the tune I have requested. So far it is exactly the way I want it. I will be putting some miles on it but can already tell fuel economy is way better and no more harsh downshifts. Keep u posted!!
Wondering if some of these changes will be universally applied. I have the performance tune and Iā€™m mostly happy with it except that exhaust smell is horrid due to rich conditions and the shifting is indeed harsh.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Wondering if some of these changes will be universally applied. I have the performance tune and Iā€™m mostly happy with it except that exhaust smell is horrid due to rich conditions and the shifting is indeed harsh.
Ditto. I've actaully held off applying my tunes waiting for some feedback from others. Basically my nGuage been sitting on my desk.

OP
OP
austinb324

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Ditto. I've actaully held off applying my tunes waiting for some feedback from others. Basically my nGuage been sitting on my desk.
They sent me a reworked tune this morning. It was stated in an email thread I have with Aaron from 5-star that the P0068 code has been resolved and the rough shifting has been greatly improved. No comment on fuel economy yet. I will start testing the new tune today after work.

When/if things are resolved, I am going to ask them to send me all the tunes I purchased with the new updates.

5startuning

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5startuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Custom Tuner
Hey Tyler, we are happy to work on a revision for you if things are not quite up to par. Just shoot an email over [email protected] and mention what you are wanting changed. I will just need your device serial number and we can go from there.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
A calibrator with 5-star called me today to talk about a few issues I had mentioned. He sent me a revised tune today and ill be flashing it to test it out and see how it does. I appreciate 5-star reaching out to help solve the issues, ill keep this thread updated on the progress.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
No decent tune should be making your truck smell like fuel in your garage. There should be no relative changes to idle being made. So I find it odd that you would experience foul odors just idling there.

very curious about why that was the case.

As far as the transmission, they may have been over zealous with the pressure tables, slip times, etc in their tunes for you to be having really bad shuddering on a regular basis. These transmissions only need very subtle changes to pressure, slip, etc to make a big difference in their feel.

J_D

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
No decent tune should be making your truck smell like fuel in your garage. There should be no relative changes to idle being made. So I find it odd that you would experience foul odors just idling there.
Agreed. If you are smelling fuel, you are killing your catalytic converter. Will these guys warranty your converter with their tune?

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Im wondering if maybe the altered the Injector Temp tables and made them all 1.0 or zero like people commonly do on some GM engines. Not sure if Ford Ecoboost behaves the same with those changes like the GM does.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
You should use an OBD scanner to read your LTFT and STFT while you are experiencing that smell.

5startuning

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5startuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Custom Tuner
If you have a 5 star tune for your ranger and are experiencing this fuel smell, feel free to email your tuner serial number to [email protected] . We are happy to review your tune and make any revisions if needed.

OP
OP
austinb324

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4

very curious about why that was the case.

As far as the transmission, they may have been over zealous with the pressure tables, slip times, etc in their tunes for you to be having really bad shuddering on a regular basis. These transmissions only need very subtle changes to pressure, slip, etc to make a big difference in their feel.
They have sent out revised tunes to some people and have eliminated the fuel smell issue. But I dont think they have updated or tested all the tunes they offer yet because I just got a tune last week that has the fuel smell again. (Waiting on another revision to be sent to me.)

As for the shifting, I asked for my tunes be provided with stock transmission settings. The added power with the stock transmission setup drives exactly how I like it so I will be very pleased with this setup as soon as I can get this rich fuel issue fixed.

Agreed. If you are smelling fuel, you are killing your catalytic converter. Will these guys warranty your converter with their tune?
This was the first thought I had and it's been bothering me. I put some cataclean in my tank hoping that it might help undo some of the damage this is doing to my cats. My tailpipe is solid black so I bet my cats look awful right now.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
They have sent out revised tunes to some people and have eliminated the fuel smell issue. But I dont think they have updated or tested all the tunes they offer yet because I just got a tune last week that has the fuel smell again. (Waiting on another revision to be sent to me.)

As for the shifting, I asked for my tunes be provided with stock transmission settings. The added power with the stock transmission setup drives exactly how I like it so I will be very pleased with this setup as soon as I can get this rich fuel issue fixed.

This was the first thought I had and it's been bothering me. I put some cataclean in my tank hoping that it might help undo some of the damage this is doing to my cats. My tailpipe is solid black so I bet my cats look awful right now.
That's my biggest problems with these "tuners". It sounds like it's a bunch of guys with some laptops just changing some parameters and hoping it'll work. There isn't any durability testing done to them at all. An OEM tune is tested for 150k miles of harsh durability which I doubt that these aftermarket tuners have the ability to do.
Sponsored