Anyone with a tune had transmission issues?

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I started wondering about this after reading some of the stories about transmission issues. I’m curious if having a tune helps the transmission last longer, have issues sooner or doesn’t make a difference. I know it’s hard to get a true data points but was curious. What’s everyone’s thoughts or experiences?
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
IMG_20231206_150546.gif

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the Livernois tune on mine for a while now - I did end up changing to the non "soft shift" since the soft shift is harder on the trans. I haven't had any issues yet, but figured it couldn't hurt.

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
My buddy is a Ford tech, and he and I have had many a long discussion about the 10R80 and 10R140 over bonfire beers

He and I agree, the factory tuning sucks. But the same can be said about the 5R110 and 6R140 that came in the Super Duties. It was fairly common to drive the line pressure to MAX and send it. They shift hard, and they shift fast that way

In the case of the 10R80 and 10R140, even in factory trim, they shift pretty quick. But upping the line pressure and changing the shift points makes a world of difference. In my case, with the Unleashed tune, in Sport, it shifts hard. But it shifts fast. In normal day to day, it drives like a stock truck in sport mode.

As for reliability, we also agree that the 10R80 and 10R140 are fundamentally flawed. The biggest issues, outside of the valve body overhauls that are becoming common place on the 10R80s, and the snap ring for the A clutch on the 10R140, is the CDF Drum has a bearing that slips and causes a part of the drum to fail. And that CDF Drum failure is the main failure point people are starting to see as the rigs increase in mileage, stock, tuned, it doesn't matter. It affects the Ranger, the F150, the Mustang. And to make matters worse, the revised CDF drum part# apparently has a different variation of the same issue that causes the same symptoms. Harsh shifting, delayed up and down shifts due to pressure loss, and eventually a complete transmission failure.

Couple the above with the units coming underfilled from the factory, and its really no wonder about all the hate towards the 10R80

My truck went in back in May for the driveshaft slip joint. The tech who worked on it (same dealership my buddy worked at at the time, but he didn't get the truck unfortunately) noticed a harsh shift, and apparently Ford has approved a valve body overhaul if I want it. And honestly, at 30k miles, since the overhaul requires a drain and fill of the transmission plus a new filter, I am going to have it done, and have the PPE deep pan installed at the same time. Only additional it should cost me outside of the pan is an extra quart or two of fluid since everything else will be warranty

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Even with a tune my transmission held up just fine. What the issue was with my truck was a bad case of "Ground Beef"
Well to be fair, the beef wasn't ground while your truck was still running....

OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I've had the Livernois tune on mine for a while now - I did end up changing to the non "soft shift" since the soft shift is harder on the trans. I haven't had any issues yet, but figured it couldn't hurt.
I have been running a combination of the 93 performance tune and towing tune for over 55k miles. I also started using the non soft shift/ standard tunes about 30k miles ago. Mine usually stays in towing since I tow my boat almost year around.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The tuned "softer shift" is still harder than stock.

Tremorky

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Designer
My buddy is a Ford tech, and he and I have had many a long discussion about the 10R80 and 10R140 over bonfire beers

He and I agree, the factory tuning sucks. But the same can be said about the 5R110 and 6R140 that came in the Super Duties. It was fairly common to drive the line pressure to MAX and send it. They shift hard, and they shift fast that way

In the case of the 10R80 and 10R140, even in factory trim, they shift pretty quick. But upping the line pressure and changing the shift points makes a world of difference. In my case, with the Unleashed tune, in Sport, it shifts hard. But it shifts fast. In normal day to day, it drives like a stock truck in sport mode.

As for reliability, we also agree that the 10R80 and 10R140 are fundamentally flawed. The biggest issues, outside of the valve body overhauls that are becoming common place on the 10R80s, and the snap ring for the A clutch on the 10R140, is the CDF Drum has a bearing that slips and causes a part of the drum to fail. And that CDF Drum failure is the main failure point people are starting to see as the rigs increase in mileage, stock, tuned, it doesn't matter. It affects the Ranger, the F150, the Mustang. And to make matters worse, the revised CDF drum part# apparently has a different variation of the same issue that causes the same symptoms. Harsh shifting, delayed up and down shifts due to pressure loss, and eventually a complete transmission failure.

Couple the above with the units coming underfilled from the factory, and its really no wonder about all the hate towards the 10R80

My truck went in back in May for the driveshaft slip joint. The tech who worked on it (same dealership my buddy worked at at the time, but he didn't get the truck unfortunately) noticed a harsh shift, and apparently Ford has approved a valve body overhaul if I want it. And honestly, at 30k miles, since the overhaul requires a drain and fill of the transmission plus a new filter, I am going to have it done, and have the PPE deep pan installed at the same time. Only additional it should cost me outside of the pan is an extra quart or two of fluid since everything else will be warranty
After the Focus / Fiesta DCT trans debacle, I really hoped Ford would do better. Their autos were typically reliable. Now they’re they’re the Chrysler of the 90s. Even Stellantis has enough sense to source a good transmission, meanwhile Ford continues to run their customers into the ground with software resets and flashes and other smokescreens in hopes it comes out of someone’s pockets besides their own.
As you said, no amount of maintenance, fancy deep dish pans, tunes and crossed fingers will make the transmission reliable. I have the PPE pan and will install it soon in hopes that I’m solving a possible underfill. Otherwise.. it’s not an “if” but a “when” the transmission will die well before it should. And Ford will wonder why Joe Consumer picks something besides a Ford.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I have the Ford tune, my transmission is starting to really act up, going to the dealer soon.

I don't think the tune has had any affect on it, it's wearing out, harsh shifting, or wont shift, shifts at 2-3 mph like you have been rear ended.

Almost all 30k has been in T/H mode.

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
I have the Ford tune, my transmission is starting to really act up, going to the dealer soon.

I don't think the tune has had any affect on it, it's wearing out, harsh shifting, or wont shift, shifts at 2-3 mph like you have been rear ended.

Almost all 30k has been in T/H mode.
Expect at the least a valve body overhaul, but press on them about Tsb 22-2428 for the CDF drum. This sounds like a CDF drum failure in the making