First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
I bought this truck in January. Owned it all of "three" days when I had it levelled and added new wheels and larger Toyo Open Country MT's "275/65-18". My fuel mileage has been unimpressive since I've owned this truck , 16-18 mpg on average at best, maybe 19 on a longer highway trip. One of the reasons I traded from my old F150 to the Ranger was the hope of better fuel mileage. With the current gas prices I've decided to see just how bad the larger MT tires have affected things and see how I like my truck with normal tires. This morning I swapped back the OEM Black appearance package wheels until further notice.
Well, I just returned home from a little 60 mile road trip around town and "HOLY S--T" this truck runs sooo smooth and quiet! I never knew how nice this truck could actually drive since I added the MT's so early on in ownership. I've also grown to "greatly" dislike the noise coming from the MT's!!
I cleared the mileage settings in my cluster and instantly its averaging 24-25 mpg in town. "HUGE improvement"
I guess I'm officially an old man now because I'm thinking more of economy and comfort over style nowadays. Heck, comfort is my middle name these days and this truck is so smooth, quiet, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive now.
Beside, my Ranger makes any wheel/tire combination look good! LOL
20220618_093730.jpg
20220618_110914.jpg
20220618_110928.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
yup the old fart club, the more I look at mods the more I appreciate stock... Kind of a been there done that scenario

LB

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Randy,

Are you hand calculating or going by the instrument panel? If you’re using the trucks calculation, did you re-calibrate your truck’s speedometer after putting on the MTs?

If you haven’t re-calibrated, your truck’s computer is calculating a lower mpg than you’re actually getting. Sure, the big tires and level are part of it and you could be losing 3-4 mpg to those things and another 3 mpg hit is being reflected on the computer but it’s not really happening.

Now, your truck just looks like it skipped leg day. ??

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Soooooooo....... Not sure if you were aware but Mud Terrains simply kill fuel mileage mainly due to weight. Also the trad design is not freindly for street. Its called a Mud Terrain for a reason.

If anything its a lesson learned. My suggestion if you dont go OffRoad as often look into a good set of All Terrain tires like the Firestone Destination AT2 and Destination XT. No where near as heavy as a mud terrain and still suitable for street use.

If you dont go OffRoad at all then stick with a street tire. An All Terrain and Mud Terrain will be a waist of money for you.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I agree that the bigger tires and AM wheels can really be a hit to mileage. I added some aftermarket wheels and 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers MT's to my Jeep Rubicon and lost 3 MPG around town and more than that on the freeway.

The AM wheels were way heavier than the stock ones and the tires, +50% more than the weight of stock sized K02's. Add to that more rolling resistance and flat plate drag, yeah, MPG killer.

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Thanks for welcoming me into the old mans club. LOL Yeah I knew that the MT's would affect MPG's but I figured it wouldn't be so bad with 2.3 Ecoboost. I bought the wheels new but the tires I bought from a buddy almost new to help him out plus I got a deal on them. So I figured why not.
I haven't had a 4cyl truck since the 80's. I also haven't drivine on MT's since the 80's as well.
Guess it really isn't for me anymore. I'll drive on these for while and enjoy the better drive and mpg's and swap the others on from time to time if/when I'm feeling sporty. LOL

As for the question how I'm computing my MPG's. Those numbers that I posted are from my cluster.
I compute it sometimes when fueling up with my phone calculator. It's worse whe I do that, it's usually in the mid 16 MPG's.

I'll probably end up reselling the MT's and go back to all-terrains. I've been a BFG guy for 30 years, but thought I'd try something different with this opportunity.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I bought this truck in January. Owned it all of "three" days when I had it levelled and added new wheels and larger Toyo Open Country MT's "275/65-18". My fuel mileage has been unimpressive since I've owned this truck , 16-18 mpg on average at best, maybe 19 on a longer highway trip. One of the reasons I traded from my old F150 to the Ranger was the hope of better fuel mileage. With the current gas prices I've decided to see just how bad the larger MT tires have affected things and see how I like my truck with normal tires. This morning I swapped back the OEM Black appearance package wheels until further notice.
Well, I just returned home from a little 60 mile road trip around town and "HOLY S--T" this truck runs sooo smooth and quiet! I never new how nice this truck could actually drive since I added the MT's so early on in ownership. I've also grown to "greatly" dislike the noise coming from the MT's!!
I cleared the mileage settings in my cluster and instantly its averaging 24-25 mpg in town. "HUGE improvement"
I guess I'm officially an old man now because I'm thinking more of economy and comfort over style nowadays. Heck, comfort is my middle name these days and this truck is so smooth, quiet, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive now.
Beside, my Ranger makes any wheel/tire combination look good! LOL
20220618_093730.jpg
20220618_110914.jpg
20220618_110928.jpg
What did you use to level the front? How high did you raise it?

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Soooooooo....... Not sure if you were aware but Mud Terrains simply kill fuel mileage mainly due to weight. Also the trad design is not freindly for street. Its called a Mud Terrain for a reason.

If anything its a lesson learned. My suggestion if you dont go OffRoad as often look into a good set of All Terrain tires like the Firestone Destination AT2 and Destination XT. No where near as heavy as a mud terrain and still suitable for street use.

If you dont go OffRoad at all then stick with a street tire. An All Terrain and Mud Terrain will be a waist of money for you.
I wasn't "as aware" as I thought I was. LOL lesson learned. I usually only go offroad when on hunting trips and that's quiet a bit in the Fall. I'm not an avid offroader.
I'm gonna save and get some nice A/T's. I've had good luck with the BFG's over the years.
Take care

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I wasn't "as aware" as I thought I was. LOL lesson learned. I usually only go offroad when on hunting trips and that's quiet a bit in the Fall. I'm not an avid offroader.
I'm gonna save and get some nice A/T's. I've had good luck with the BFG's over the years.
Take care
As a thought might I suggest the Firestone Destination XT over the BFG? I ran it on my Ranger when I had it and I was happy with it. It is also lighter than the KO2 when comparing same size and load range. Also never had an issue with punctures both On and OffRoad. I got a write up in another thread on here about them

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Hey Randy,

Are you hand calculating or going by the instrument panel? If you’re using the trucks calculation, did you re-calibrate your truck’s speedometer after putting on the MTs?

If you haven’t re-calibrated, your truck’s computer is calculating a lower mpg than you’re actually getting. Sure, the big tires and level are part of it and you could be losing 3-4 mpg to those things and another 3 mpg hit is being reflected on the computer but it’s not really happening.

Now, your truck just looks like it skipped leg day. ??
Yeah, it definitely skipped leg day. LOL Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. Still looks like a 4x4.
I have been watching the instrument panel mostly. I do hand calculations sometimes and get real disappointed with that. True numbers with a tank of gas/gallons used are usually in the mid 16's. So the instrument panel method is more appealing. LOL
Sponsored