Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks for posting this, what an eye opening video. Holy Frijoles. :shock:

Just a bit more going on with this transmission than the Muncie in my '69 Camaro. :like:

I sure wish they would put a stick shift in the Ranger.
Automatics in general are some sort of voodoo witchcraft. The 10r80 is flat out devil worship.
Sponsored

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
Hopefully the "Flush" on the cooler got all the metal particles out... :fingerscrossed:
Yeah that one kinda threw me off lol. At jeep we just straight up replace the coolers on the 8/10 speeds. Ford may not include that with their warranty repairs though

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
I dropped off my truck on March 9th to address the crazy Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power I was experiencing. They had their in-house Transmission tech test drive it, and were able to replicate the sudden loss of power.

Latest update from last week:

This is Richie @ Ford. Our tech confirmed that we will be removing your transmission and performing a tear down/ cost cap analysis to determine if we will be rebuilding your transmission or replacing with a new unit. We will have more updates for you mid next week.

IMG_0855.jpg
how many miles/kms do you have on it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
how many miles/kms do you have on it?
This thread was from about a year and a half ago - but earlier in the thread @rangerdanger said he had 26k on his truck when this happened. He was one of the early guys to get a 2019. He got his a couple months before I got mine in April of 2019.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Automatics in general are some sort of voodoo witchcraft. The 10r80 is flat out devil worship.
Wow, yeah, I just watched that video and thought the same thing

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
My gut tells me it related to excess heat, probably from torque converter.

-Tony

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i wonder if sids truck is a similar issue

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
i wonder if sids truck is a similar issue
It very well could be. Low fluid pressure will keep the clutches from fully engaging or not engaging at all. That leads to slipping and abnormal wear and decreases tranny life significantly.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I've known some really good mechanics that weren't the best at spelling. I'm not sure it's really a job requirement or indicative of anything in particular. I think I'd rather have a good mechanic who can't spell for shit than a crappy mechanic who should be a writer.
Goober and Gomer didn't seem very 'educated'.

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
I have no evidence whatsoever to back up what I'm about to say, but I think this transmission is the Achilles heel of the truck and I believe it will have problems before 100k miles. I think it is absolutely the weakest link in the Ranger. It just feels fragile. Perhaps if they had programmed it without regard to cafe and EPA fuel mileage standards it would last longer.

I would have preferred a V6 with a 5 or 6 speed auto. 10 gears is just too damn much imo.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
I have no evidence whatsoever to back up what I'm about to say, but I think this transmission is the Achilles heel of the truck and I believe it will have problems before 100k miles. I think it is absolutely the weakest link in the Ranger. It just feels fragile. Perhaps if they had programmed it without regard to cafe and EPA fuel mileage standards it would last longer.

I would have preferred a V6 with a 5 or 6 speed auto. 10 gears is just too damn much imo.

But..... this trans is in a lot of other ford products, with all of the trucks on here how many have trans problems?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger

I'm curious as to how you know so much about the longevity of the 10r80, but have such little clue about 4x4 you needed to make a thread on how to use it?

You people need to stop listening to all the doom and gloom.

Sid just got lucky..... the gas in his oil really should of taken his truck out first.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
But..... this trans is in a lot of other ford products, with all of the trucks on here how many have trans problems?
And this same transmission is in the F-150s, of which there are a LOT more than Rangers - I've not heard significant issues with them either. These 10 speeds are in a lot of Ford products, as well as GM products (albeit a slightly different variation).

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
That was probably harsh lol. I apologize.

But seriously... people...

Come back to reality.

What is it about owning a Ranger that makes so many people so overly paranoid?

If your want to be that paranoid you might as well go on a good ol fashioned coke bender for a week or so.

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
That was probably harsh lol. I apologize.

But seriously... people...

Come back to reality.

What is it about owning a Ranger that makes so many people so overly paranoid?

If your want to be that paranoid you might as well go on a good ol fashioned coke bender for a week or so.
Well, I still bought the truck didnt I?! ?

The trans in mine frequently acts up. When cresting the hill of my driveway and as I'm slowing down, it harshly downshifts to the point where I'm sure its hurting the motor mounts. In the end, I just see needless complexity. 10 speeds, a turbo, and a company trying to meet cafe and epa standards. I might have considered a Colorado but man they're boring and the seats are like concrete. Here at 6300 miles, all is well. I just hope it stays that way.
Sponsored