Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Final update, here's the diagnosis info from the inspection.

Scan.png
Good write up by tech.....would have contributed to decision to replace complete.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP, thanks for the update. Failed Pump, sounds like something clogged it up. Glad they replaced the whole unit for you.
Hi,,,,

Not buying this diagnosis without more detail...something caused the pump to fail....a faulty pump would fail immediately... This analysis is eye wash in my opinion...something more basically is at work here.

I also suspect a "flushed" cooler... When I blew an engine in racing...we trashed the oil cooler...you can never clean it up after such an event. What was root cause? Defective machining of the pump? Oil pump failure is the result, not root cause in my opinion. We will never likely know the real cause.

Sorry to crap in your lunch box but this is my take... Having dealt with the terrible A4LD transmission, this analysis is from a layman...no disregard to him, but this is not root cause.

A bit of a back story.... A4LD was a 1985 introduction. Our durability showed this trans was problematic... So when we had durability failures, old Alibi Joe from Transmission would explain it away. This went on for years...believe it or not. The rationale was this part that failed passed on several other transmissions....So when when the 1st transmission to pass durability without problem????? 1988.... Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. I had the first prototype A4LD installed in an Aerostar. It made it 2 ft before failing. It traveled vertically about 5 ft, so the trans traveled up and down almost twice it did on the garage floor before failing...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,,,,

Not buying this diagnosis without more detail...something caused the pump to fail....a faulty pump would fail immediately... This analysis is eye wash in my opinion...something more basically is at work here.

I also suspect a "flushed" cooler... When I blew an engine in racing...we trashed the oil cooler...you can never clean it up after such an event. What was root cause? Defective machining of the pump? Oil pump failure is the result, not root cause in my opinion. We will never likely know the real cause.

Sorry to crap in your lunch box but this is my take... Having dealt with the terrible A4LD transmission, this analysis is from a layman...no disregard to him, but this is not root cause.

A bit of a back story.... A4LD was a 1985 introduction. Our durability showed this trans was problematic... So when we had durability failures, old Alibi Joe from Transmission would explain it away. This went on for years...believe it or not. The rationale was this part that failed passed on several other transmissions....So when when the 1st transmission to pass durability without problem????? 1988.... Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. I had the first prototype A4LD installed in an Aerostar. It made it 2 ft before failing. It traveled vertically about 5 ft, so the trans traveled up and down almost twice it did on the garage floor before failing...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I agree with what you say but all Ford wants from the dealer is the causal part. The dealer tech is not required to determine why it failed. I suspect that is why it was replaced complete and probably blue tagged to be returned so engineering can determine why the pump failed. I agree about the cooler but as you would expect, warranty won't pay for a replace, only to be flushed. I'm just glad he's on the road again.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, I agree with what you say but all Ford wants from the dealer is the causal part. The dealer tech is not required to determine why it failed. I suspect that is why it was replaced complete and probably blue tagged to be returned so engineering can determine why the pump failed. I agree about the cooler but as you would expect, warranty won't pay for a replace, only to be flushed. I'm just glad he's on the road again.
Hi Paul,

I agree...Happy for OP, but I needed to put this out there as I do not think the trans was blue tagged, and it it was, there is no feedback to us on the "outside" of what the analysis results were.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
Most dealerships will replace a transmission, they're not really set up for transmission repairs - that was my experience with a 5 spd auto on a Jeep Commander.
I'm at 24k on my Ranger in 16 months of ownership, no issues whatsover - but since I like this truck a lot I may get an extended warranty just to avoid a big repair bill down the road...if an extended warranty can be had at this point for a reasonable cost.

cheapest place on the web, my dealer matched price

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/warranty_plans/?plan_id=2053

Reactions: Doc

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Maybe I'm too anal particular, but when I saw "route cause" in the service write-up I started to cringe. I know, no big deal but when it comes to an issue this detailed I wonder what else "oops'ed". But it does look like they did a thorough job so hope it all works out for you @rangerdanger

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi,,,,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I once had a Bronco II with the A4LD.

Holy crap, and I do mean crap.

Ripped that turkey of a transmission out and put the M5OD in it.

Then it was a great truck.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Maybe I'm too anal particular, but when I saw "route cause" in the service write-up I started to cringe. I know, no big deal but when it comes to an issue this detailed I wonder what else "oops'ed". But it does look like they did a thorough job so hope it all works out for you @rangerdanger
Being from 'Sconnie, I had to think about that for a second, as I pronounce "route" as rhyming with out and "root" as rhyming with foot.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The true root cause for the pump failure could be foreign particles were left in the cooler or trans itself. Perhaps from an insufficient or missed flushing step after manufacturers machining operations. I have even heard of sand left inside of castings. The OP will likely never find out about the root cause and frankly it doesn't matter to anyone except FoMoCo.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The true root cause for the pump failure could be foreign particles were left in the cooler or trans itself. Perhaps from an insufficient or missed flushing step after manufacturers machining operations. I have even heard of sand left inside of castings. The OP will likely never find out about the root cause and frankly it doesn't matter to anyone except FoMoCo.
You're spot on. At least we have some info on this one.

Bad oil pump is more info than some people have on blown engines that happened over two months ago.

Just glad it was taken care of by Ford. In the end that's all that matters.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've known some really good mechanics that weren't the best at spelling. I'm not sure it's really a job requirement or indicative of anything in particular. I think I'd rather have a good mechanic who can't spell for shit than a crappy mechanic who should be a writer.

(Now, if I'm dealing with someone whose primary responsibility is communicating in writing I cut no slack at all, but there's a reason there isn't just one kind of job in the world.)

(I've also known really good mechanics who were english majors in college and then chose a different path, but could still cut deeply with a few carefully chosen words. But that's just an added bonus.)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Watch this tear down video and you can see why they just swap it out. If that were me there would be a bucket of extra parts after the rebuild. lol ?

Thanks for posting this, what an eye opening video. Holy Frijoles. :shock:

Just a bit more going on with this transmission than the Muncie in my '69 Camaro. :like:

I sure wish they would put a stick shift in the Ranger.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks for posting this, what an eye opening video. Holy Frijoles. :shock:

Just a bit more going on with this transmission than the Muncie in my '69 Camaro. :like:

I sure wish they would put a stick shift in the Ranger.
Once the Bronco is out with its 2.3/7 speed manual combo, someone is going to swap the transmission into a Ranger, and I can't wait!
Sponsored