I spent yesterday truck shopping. Current state of dealers offers in Ohio...

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Side note and not really related but not worthy of its own thread. Didn't realize in 2022 they started either allowing to order with or putting the Tremor grill on FX4's.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I started saying this back in the mid 1980’s. We produced much of what we used. Then the offshoring and moving operations to Mexico started. In the US back then the machine tool industry was 80 billion a year across all manufacturing. Within 2 years it went from that to 21 billion a year. That’s when we became a service economy and not manufacturing.

Here we are today, bunch of fat cats at the top and all us are arguing over the scraps. This isn’t rocket science. It was a calculated move to go to a one world economy with us pulling the strings!
Nailed it Rick. When one President started NAFTA I though this can't be good. And it wasn't. When another President started CAFTA I thought, this ain't gonna be good. And it was worse. This once great Nation is now a service industry, and sadly we have to depend on countries that hate us to supply our needs. Until "We the People" get out heads out of our asses it's only going to get worse. I just thank the Lord everyday that I won't live long enough to see this country go completely to hell in a handbasket. Because, I don't think the generations of today have the sense that Got gave a billy goat to even see what's down the road.

There, I said it, and I'm feeling much better now. :)

Please don't ban me Dave. I'll be good, I promise. :bandit:

Last edited:

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Thing is, dealers have bills to pay too. I was briefly a car salesman in the 80's. If they have very few vehicles to sell then they have to make more money from each vehicle they do have. Maybe you're selling 15 cars a month instead of 60 because it's all you have. If Ford (or any automaker) doesn't want their dealers price gouging, then fine, get more vehicles to the dealers. Build your own chip factory if you have to.
To be fair, dealers have never made much money selling new cars. Used cars, service and the body shop are the driving profit centers.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I started saying this back in the mid 1980’s. We produced much of what we used. Then the offshoring and moving operations to Mexico started. In the US back then the machine tool industry was 80 billion a year across all manufacturing. Within 2 years it went from that to 21 billion a year. That’s when we became a service economy and not manufacturing.

Here we are today, bunch of fat cats at the top and all us are arguing over the scraps. This isn’t rocket science. It was a calculated move to go to a one world economy with us pulling the strings!
Exactly 100%.. Born in the 1970's and witnessed the conversion from innovative manufacturing to all outsourced. Entire towns and communities lost their factories giving way to the service industry. We are in a transition period that will be a footnote of history for the economy of the U.S.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
...So unless you can lock in a price (I know Granger will do this) right now I wouldn't be waiting much longer to buy. This is where I'm at with my Bronco order which is through them. I'm price protected (hopefully Ford doesn't change this) with my 2020 reservation through 2023. If they decided not to honor this when the order banks open up next month you'll see a lot of very mad reservation holders dropping their orders because the prices are now $3,000+ higher. That's why I say if there's something on the lot close to what you're looking for try and make that deal happen. With the parts constraints and the manufacturers changing the rules whenever they want I'd grab what I can now. :wink:
In this case, how do you handle inflation? If Ford sticks to the 2020 price, they may lose money.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I believe car dealers are realizing that they don't need 10 million in inventory on the lot. Build to order. The way it was years ago when just about everything had to be ordered. Just a thought.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I believe car dealers are realizing that they don't need 10 million in inventory on the lot. Build to order. The way it was years ago when just about everything had to be ordered. Just a thought.
Agree. But as I mentioned earlier, for that plan to work they will have to get ordered vehicles to customers a lot faster than they have been lately. Six months isn't going to cut it. We're not Russia. Yet.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
In this case, how do you handle inflation? If Ford sticks to the 2020 price, they may lose money.
Inflation, That's Fords problem! They should've stuck by their original plan and built all customer orders according to timestamp. If they did that everyone would've had theirs by now and they wouldn't be in this predicament.

For those who are getting their 2022's and are price protected they have received the price protection refund form Ford. My friends Bronco Badlands was a $3,000 refund so yes Ford is losing money. Now not all dealers know how to do this the correct way but there's a sticky thread on B6G showing how to do it.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I did a quick search just for giggles last week on internet.
The Ford site only goes 10 miles out. I could go 60 miles out in 2020.
Nothing to find.
I would need to put postal code to search further... could not be bothered.
If you can wait 6 months things might change & there may be many vehicles
on the lot.
So I checked again, cuz it was a little weird that I could only see like 50 miles out???
This time I could see 100 miles out, "25 Rangres" they claim.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Inflation, That's Fords problem! They should've stuck by their original plan and built all customer orders according to timestamp. If they did that everyone would've had theirs by now and they wouldn't be in this predicament.

For those who are getting their 2022's and are price protected they have received the price protection refund form Ford. My friends Bronco Badlands was a $3,000 refund so yes Ford is losing money. Now not all dealers know how to do this the correct way but there's a sticky thread on B6G showing how to do it.
So Dave, if you had purchased your Bronco from one of the larger Phoenix area dealerships, would you have it today?

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman

Your right on the paperwork Dave. When I picked mine up the sticker price was about $800 dollars more than the ordered price, F&I manager had me sign the paperwork that Ford would credit the dealer the difference since they would have paid the extra amount. Someone really screwed up at Ford this year I am surprised that they outsold Toyota for the first two quarters.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So Dave, if you had purchased your Bronco from one of the larger Phoenix area dealerships, would you have it today?
IDK it all depends on the allocations and how many orders they had and what you ordered because of the parts constraints. There are still many who have day 1 & 2 reservations who still don't have their Broncos where others who have identical builds are driving theirs. :mad:

This wasn't part of the original agreement and was supposed to be by timestamp (reservation number) only. Then the larger dealers weren't getting a lot of orders because they were either at MSRP or adding huge markups. So of course Ford catered to them by changing the rules and added the allocation system which now favors large volume dealers and screws the little ones. Honestly Jim I'd rather wait (or not got one at all) than deal with these larger dealers.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Decent dealers are so few and far between these days it’s ridiculous.

My wife and I got my Ranger and her Edge from our local Ford dealer right before the car market got completely upended. Now that dealer that I used to like and though was a good place to do business has been selling Rangers with their stupid add-on off road packages for $55k+.

They’ve also got into the market of buying new, in-demand vehicles from other Ford dealers, putting 100-200 miles on them and selling them as used for whatever price they want. They currently have a “used” F-150 Lightning with 111 miles on it. Window sticker is $93k. It’s on the lot for $130k.
That specifically is the type of dealer Ford is on the hunt for. Resellers.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
IDK it all depends on the allocations and how many orders they had and what you ordered because of the parts constraints. There are still many who have day 1 & 2 reservations who still don't have their Broncos where others who have identical builds are driving theirs. :mad:

This wasn't part of the original agreement and was supposed to be by timestamp (reservation number) only. Then the larger dealers weren't getting a lot of orders because they were either at MSRP or adding huge markups. So of course Ford catered to them by changing the rules and added the allocation system which now favors large volume dealers and screws the little ones. Honestly Jim I'd rather wait (or not got one at all) than deal with these larger dealers.
I read elsewhere that Ford recently fired the plant manager of the Bronco plant.
Sponsored