Is this XLT deal worth buying out of state?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Hey everyone. First time posting though I've been a regular visitor for a few months now. I was looking to purchase (most likely order) an XLT FX2 Super Cab in Rapid Red with the 302A option and tow package sometime mid summer. Because of some of the deals I've been hearing about and the fact that it may still be a while before Ford restarts manufuacturing, I decided to do a nationwide search to see if I could find one. Looking for that in a super cab turned out to be near impossible.

However, I did find in another state a super cab XLT 4x4 Sport in Rapid Red that includes the 302A option, technology package, locking rear differential, and tow package. MSRP is $38,410. It's basically everything I was looking for (with exception to the technology package) but in a 4 wheel drive. With rebates of $3,250 and dealer discount after talking with them, they are down to $33,250. The dealer is 1,100 miles away and I'm asking myself if this worth the effort for the deal. I can always put a 4 wheel drive to use in our local deserts and mountains, but it was not high on my priorities. Towing my Mustang to the track would be the main working use of the truck (besides normal truck stuff).

After asking them to email me an out the door price for all charges, one thing they have tacked on after taxes is a $798 interior exterior lifetime protection called Pro Pack. I will not pay for that if I get this truck. Plus, their doc fee is $699 which seems too steep.

What does the community think? Basically, they've marked down the vehicle just under $2,000 plus rebates. I know that some people think the consumer should be taking advantage and sticking it to the dealers more, but it's still $5k less than MSRP no matter how the price came down . I've done some research, but any advice about purchasing out of state?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Not enough off sticker imo. Have you considered something that came off lease for a much larger discount?

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
will the truck be your new DD or will it sit until you are going to the track?

I know you didn’t ask for new versus slightly used advice, but I was curious.

I have done the buy a car far enough away that I had to get a flight and then drive it back.

have you added your travel costs into the overall truck costs? You need to. Flight, Lodging, Food, Gas, your time...

What is the cost for taxes and tags from where you are buying it? Or what do you need to account for in that state?

what will it cost to register it into your state?

for traveling and buying the truck, what is the pandemic situation in the areas you will go through? Do you want to be coupes in a plane with others at this time? Especially if you are going to/from a hotspot.

Good luck!

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Not enough off sticker imo. Have you considered something that came off lease for a much larger discount?
No, I haven't thought about something like that, but it's something to consider. The truck listed looks like a great price, but I don't want a Lariat. I've always bought new with the options I want and kept the vehicle for 10 years or more. My 95 F150 4x4 was a special order as was my 2016 Mustang. I thought I would have to order a Ranger as well after I couldn't find what I was looking for nationwide.
will the truck be your new DD or will it sit until you are going to the track?

I know you didn’t ask for new versus slightly used advice, but I was curious.

I have done the buy a car far enough away that I had to get a flight and then drive it back.

have you added your travel costs into the overall truck costs? You need to. Flight, Lodging, Food, Gas, your time...

What is the cost for taxes and tags from where you are buying it? Or what do you need to account for in that state?

what will it cost to register it into your state?

for traveling and buying the truck, what is the pandemic situation in the areas you will go through? Do you want to be coupes in a plane with others at this time? Especially if you are going to/from a hotspot.

Good luck!
Thanks... The truck will be my DD. I'm looking at the costs you mention right now. I have an 04 Mazda (bought new) that I would be looking to trade in. If I do that, then it's just a matter of driving that there and the truck back. Taxes for my state are collected at the time of sale and forwarded to the state. I would have to pay for registration separately in my state, but it's something I would have to pay for anyway. Fortunately, no Covid hot spots.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Documentation fee is a ripoff. Many dealers charge nothing, and you're correct in not falling for the interior protection scam.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just make sure when you offer your final price take into consideration that ridiculous doc fee. This way you already know to take off another $600 then let them put what they want in the Box which will already be filled out at $699 you being aware of this charge can make a better offer. Once you get your offer they're still going to be that number in the box but your offer should have eliminated extra money going to the dealer. You will get them to drop the fee so you'll just have to consider it when you make your final offer. If your final offer is $32,000 add the Doc fee to the offer...$32700

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
No, I haven't thought about something like that, but it's something to consider. The truck listed looks like a great price, but I don't want a Lariat.
I was the exact same btw. I specifically wanted Crew w/ FX4 (or sport with e-diff), XLT with 302a and tow. It wasn't until I stumbled on a great deal on truck 5 states away that came in off-lease that was a 501A Lariat with extras for 13k off original sticker. The MAJOR positive of buying remotely and used... I didn't have to visit the dealership and 'play the game'. It was just 'here's my money, the transport will there next week, thank you'.

Good luck man and hopefully you'll join the red truck crew soon. BTW, I really like the CARS.com app for hunting nationally.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Several dealers around Delaware add similar items for $799 each. I decided to go elsewhere. Some dealers have a form to sign saying that you agreed to the charge but the charge is optional. Don’t sign the form. Normal fee is $299. Tell them no. See if they go for it.

Did they agree to delete the other add on? Some incentives are zip code specific. Do they apply to you?

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Did they agree to delete the other add on? Some incentives are zip code specific. Do they apply to you?
While doing some more research today, I discovered that Ford was offering SoCal residents up to $4250 in rebates on 2020 Rangers. Ford is offering $3250 in rebates for the state the dealer is in and that was reflected in the offer. I figured out that the additional $1000 in rebates was Conquest Cash for buyers with a non Ford vehicle at their residence. Since I own a non Ford vehicle, I checked with the dealer this afternoon about it. After doing some digging, they believe I qualify for that since all rebates are based on the buyers zip code. They are calling Ford in the morning to verify. In addition, they said they would reduce the price of the truck $998.

So with that adjustment, the MSRP of $38,410 has been discounted to $35,471 plus $4,250 in rebates. That's a reduction of almost $7,200. The only drag about rebates for California residents is that you must pay sales tax on the price of merchandise before rebates are applied.

So with this new set of circumstances, I emailed them back tonight and said that if I do indeed qualify for the additional $1000 in rebates, I would fly out and purchase the vehicle providing they met a few conditions. The first was to eliminate the $798 Pro Pack as I only intend to pay for what Ford lists on the window sticker. The second was that the doc fee of $699 was excessive and that I want to negotiate that down to a reasonable amount. Last was to receive more current pictures of the vehicle. Of course this is all contingent upon a test drive and final inspection by me.

We will see what happens...

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
UPDATE -

Well I fly out tomorrow to pick up the Ranger. After getting back with me this morning the the final price is $31,200 plus tax, license, and the $699 doc fee. I'm not paying for anything else. This was from an MSRP of $38,410. I felt this deal was worth flying out to get. I get everything I originally wanted with the bonus of a 4x4. The build sheet for a similar FX2 was $33,800. If I had ordered that from my local dealer I wouldn't be getting near the deal I am with this one, so I think I did OK!

Oh, I took @SubVet 's advice about the doc fee and actually got them to discount the truck $200 more dollars for me to accept the doc fee.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Congratulations on your new truck.

When driving it back to Southern California, follow the break in requirements:
Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Congratulations on your new truck.

When driving it back to Southern California, follow the break in requirements:
Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Thanks. I'm picking it up near Boulder, Colorado. We are going to do the scenic Peak to Peak drive through the Rockies and take two or three days to meander our way back. I figured that type of driving will be good for the break in.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
UPDATE -

Well I fly out tomorrow to pick up the Ranger. After getting back with me this morning the the final price is $31,200 plus tax, license, and the $699 doc fee. I'm not paying for anything else. This was from an MSRP of $38,410. I felt this deal was worth flying out to get. I get everything I originally wanted with the bonus of a 4x4. The build sheet for a similar FX2 was $33,800. If I had ordered that from my local dealer I wouldn't be getting near the deal I am with this one, so I think I did OK!

Oh, I took @SubVet 's advice about the doc fee and actually got them to discount the truck $200 more dollars for me to accept the doc fee.

Congratulations on your new Ranger! :like: That's a good deal with everything you got plus the bonus of 4WD. Trust me once you go out to the desert and use it a few times you'll be glad you got it. Only drawback is you'll be back on here spending money on more stuff like tires and a level kit. lol Post some pictures once you get it.
Sponsored