First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Need some advice. I have a 2020 XLT Supercab RWD. I drive city streets only , no off road. I don't carry around too much stuff, maybe 40 lbs.

To counter the bounce/wallowing, my first remedy was to carry 100lbs of Sakrete behind each wheel. This helped by adding some weight but took up some prime real estate in the bed. I took weight out and rear end is light on the road and doesn't stick to road at times, normally in accelerated turns for example.

My next move is to install rear Eibachs or Bilsteins. Was going to do front and rears, but figured I would start with back first. I know the ride will be stiffer than OEM shocks. What I am wondering is if the stiffer ride will make the back end more controlled on the road, or will skip around even worse? And, will the side to side wallow be reduced enough without installing front struts? Appreciate any feedback.
George, I installed rear Eibach's and it made a big difference in that wallowing. I just bought the fronts but havent put them on yet. I think they are on sale at Stage 3 (Jason) a vender on here . Good luck , Bret

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Need some advice. I have a 2020 XLT Supercab RWD. I drive city streets only , no off road. I don't carry around too much stuff, maybe 40 lbs.

To counter the bounce/wallowing, my first remedy was to carry 100lbs of Sakrete behind each wheel. This helped by adding some weight but took up some prime real estate in the bed. I took weight out and rear end is light on the road and doesn't stick to road at times, normally in accelerated turns for example.

My next move is to install rear Eibachs or Bilsteins. Was going to do front and rears, but figured I would start with back first. I know the ride will be stiffer than OEM shocks. What I am wondering is if the stiffer ride will make the back end more controlled on the road, or will skip around even worse? And, will the side to side wallow be reduced enough without installing front struts? Appreciate any feedback.
I have a 2019 STX SuperCab 2WD.
While the long wheelbase took a little getting used to, it is the first Ranger I have owned which did not require new shocks when brand new.
This Ranger is pure truck, so it will never be a sportscar with a big trunk (like my '92)
The truck does equally well, loaded, empty or towing. It is very stable, predictable, and comfortable.
I even like the tire choice. They are Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts run at 35-37# on all four corners.
Tire Choice and pressure can be important for predictable handling and ride quality.
What tires does your truck have?

GAR2912

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
General Contractor
I have a 2019 STX SuperCab 2WD.
While the long wheelbase took a little getting used to, it is the first Ranger I have owned which did not require new shocks when brand new.
This Ranger is pure truck, so it will never be a sportscar with a big trunk (like my '92)
The truck does equally well, loaded, empty or towing. It is very stable, predictable, and comfortable.
I even like the tire choice. They are Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts run at 35-37# on all four corners.
Tire Choice and pressure can be important for predictable handling and ride quality.
What tires does your truck have?
Thanks Floyd. I have the Bridgestone Dueler H/T's as well. And I filled them to placard specs.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer to run the Dueler HT's on mine at 38-39 psi.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My Sport says 30psi.
Read the side wall for the tire maker's limits, then use good judgement for your personal needs.
Ford doesn't own your truck, you do.
It is common to give up a little cushy ride for better handling , if you want less "rockin' " raise your tire pressure within reasonable limits.

Tires gain pressure as they warm, but they don't warm much on short trips, especially in winter.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
i don't do any real offroading, maybe some minor fire trails on occasion, and I rarely but do sometimes tow and haul loads.
so more than 95% of my driving is city/highway...

I recognize this is a truck, and it will ride like, well... a truck. I'm just wondering what I may be able to do to. take out some of the dive and roll and rocking, mostly in slower city driving and braking...

i was planning on having 2.5" levelers installed next week with slightly bigger tires, so if there is something else I should consider having done at the same time I'd like to do it that way.

suggestions? (other than 'brake sooner, lighter, slower, etc... lol). looking for real solutions to stiffen but not make it rock hard.
In my opinion, based on my experience with the truck, all the advice below about tires, air pressure, added load to the bed, driving style, etc. is well intentioned and true enough as far as it goes, but doing any or all of that will only make a marginal difference in the ride, improving it around the edges so to speak. The real problem is the suspension, and you are only going to address that by going with aftermarket replacement parts, lift kits, etc. I hated "the Ranger bounce" but found the ride I wanted with the Ford Performance (Fox) 2.0 Leveling Kit. There are lots of other options out there, and members of this forum have tried most or all of them, depending on taste and means. (Like you, my driving is mostly city and highway, more like 99% in my case....)

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Be honest I got used to the truck as it is. Giving it is my fist one and coming from Hyundai ELANTRA :)

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Be honest I got used to the truck as it is. Giving it is my fist one and coming from Hyundai ELANTRA :)
I still have my Hyundai 2017 Elantra SE. Its a nice, basic car. But, the ride is totally different from the truck, for sure.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I installed Fox 2.0s on the rear of my FX4 today. Wow. I liked this truck before, but now I love it. The boaty floating and bounce are taken care of. I feel the truck should have come this way. The Foxes still provide a soft suspension, but the wallow and unsettledness are gone. The truck is more confident to drive. I went with the Foxes over the Eibachs because I do a lot of dirt forest road driving. The Bilsteins were a close option also. Easily the best bang for $300 on an vehicle upgrade I can recall. If you are on the fence, or feel your Ranger's handing could be better, do this. At $200-300 (depending on which shocks you get) this upgrade isn't something that your wife should get too upset about, lol ?

PXL_20210221_192241722.jpg
Sponsored