First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Yeah but it's nice, and expected, to have in 2022.. just like electric windows for instance. The idea is to go forwards, not go backwards. I'm still vexed about not having the shift selector lights. My 2000 honda civic had it lol, wtf?
Yeah, I think someone here mentioned it may be that engineers get bonus checks if they come up with cost saving during a model run. I think those bonus, if true, should be limited to improvements in production process or parts with no removal of features. If a friend of mine has a 2020 and I was looking over it and like it then bought a 2022, I would be rather upset if 1-2 or more of the things I liked about his 2020 were removed from the newer version of the same trim level and option packages. I didn't really look at pre-2021 Rangers because they didn't have Cyber Orange Metallic then. But still not happy about some the things that I later learned were removed, mainly the bed tie downs and possibly glove box light (not sure if XLT ever had that or if it was Lariat though).
Sponsored

Strobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
2020 XLT, no glove box light. I almost traded this in for a 22 Tremor Lariat, but I’m glad I did not. For one I would have needed to drive a temp vehicle for god knows how long, then I would have had to find out about all the missing items. It would have bugged me for sure. The bed tie downs missing is lame, but I make due… what is crazy is how expensive tie downs actually cost if I were to replace them.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
In all the years I’ve owned a Ranger so for 38 years I don’t ever remember any Rangers with hood lift/struts just a prop rod!
I've had 2 rangers....a '93 an a 03 an neither had hood struts but they were less than half the price I paid for my 2019. I know some of the stuff removed is trivial stuff but it's also nice to have an IMO should be on a $40K truck.

I think it's possible removing them could have been a result of availability and not saving 20 bucks.

OP
OP
Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Figured you would have installed these already.
Been slammed with work stuff.

Also, spent the last day or two cleaning the truck up after the fishing trip. Where we were in central PA, the roads were ALL dust. (ironic, given how much rain we got in the past two weeks, making our fishing trip really challenging the first two days)

Still have to wash out the dirt and mud from our gear that is in the bed, but at least the exterior was washed. (need to detail and get the bugs off the hood and grill still)

Hoping to get to the struts right after work today.

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
Sounds Ike a great trip. Cant wait to see struts installed.

OP
OP
Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds Ike a great trip. Cant wait to see struts installed.
Was absolutely awesome. Ranger hauled all the gear without any issue, up and down mountains, across valleys, down highways; still managed over 21 mpg. (calculated by hand by Fuelly) The bed was stuffed FULL and had 100 lb crate on a hitch haul in the receiver too.

Didn't hurt that I won the group pool and caught the biggest fish of the week. ?

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited:

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
Was absolutely awesome. Ranger hauled all the gear without any issue, up and down mountains, across valleys, down highways; still managed over 21 mpg. (calculated by hand by Fuelly) The bed was stuffed FULL and had 100 lb crate on a hitch haul in the receiver too.

Didn't hurt that I won the group pool and caught the biggest fish of the week. ?

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg
Awesome trip. Looks like the Ranger did its job. Great mpg loaded down with gear too.

Nice brown trout,headed to mountains of western North Carolina in few weeks to try my luck as well.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
so tacky imho
Well, there’s nothing humble about your opinions ever RP. ? But those strut mounts do take top prize for highest poser factor.

OP
OP
Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well. 90 minutes or so to clean all the bug guts off. Less than five to install the struts.

For those looking to add to their truck, the Ford OEM parts come with a dollop of grease in each ball end. So it actually took me longer to go find the right small screwdriver to use to pry under the locking clip than to actually install both struts.

I was able to do the job myself. A helper to hold the hood would not have hurt though. I suggest you attach the hood sides FIRST, as the angle to get at the retainer clip can be a little awkward. (Not bad by any means though). Then remove the prop rod, have your helper hold the hood as you attach the bottom cups.

For those keeping score, the struts hold the hood higher than the prop rod by about 3”.

And for the anti damper crowd, the force required to close the hood should offset any arm muscle loss from the tailgate damper. ?

49F8751A-2E2F-4C81-80FB-587810C25DD0.jpeg

84AF267E-F04A-42E4-A204-01BFB1F68B4F.jpeg

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Just to clarify on the install of my two struts under the hood, the struts just snapped into the ball pivots. The jaws are springs, so after you snap it in, the balls are captured, no need to pry the springs up or out of the way.

IMG_0968.JPG

OP
OP
Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify on the install of my two struts under the hood, the struts just snapped into the ball pivots. The jaws are springs, so after you snap it in, the balls are captured, no need to pry the springs up or out of the way.

IMG_0968.JPG
Yes, you can certainly force the jaws over the balls without pre-spreading them. The ends of the jaws are sharp though, so if you want to avoid scratching up the paint on the ball, spreading them before placing them onto the balls helps.

Not sure how much it'll matter in the long run, but I figured the extra 30 seconds of attention would not hurt.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Yes, you can certainly force the jaws over the balls without pre-spreading them. The ends of the jaws are sharp though, so if you want to avoid scratching up the paint on the ball, spreading them before placing them onto the balls helps.

Not sure how much it'll matter in the long run, but I figured the extra 30 seconds of attention would not hurt.
Not sure "force" would be the way to describe it. I mean, it took a very gentle pressure and they snapped right on. Pretty sure that is the way they would be installed on the assembly line, just sayin'. :)

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
Well. 90 minutes or so to clean all the bug guts off. Less than five to install the struts.

For those looking to add to their truck, the Ford OEM parts come with a dollop of grease in each ball end. So it actually took me longer to go find the right small screwdriver to use to pry under the locking clip than to actually install both struts.

I was able to do the job myself. A helper to hold the hood would not have hurt though. I suggest you attach the hood sides FIRST, as the angle to get at the retainer clip can be a little awkward. (Not bad by any means though). Then remove the prop rod, have your helper hold the hood as you attach the bottom cups.

For those keeping score, the struts hold the hood higher than the prop rod by about 3”.

And for the anti damper crowd, the force required to close the hood should offset any arm muscle loss from the tailgate damper. ?

49F8751A-2E2F-4C81-80FB-587810C25DD0.jpeg

84AF267E-F04A-42E4-A204-01BFB1F68B4F.jpeg
Looks great. I'm not so butt hurt now seeing that the struts only raise hood 3" higher than my sad prop rod.

Glad you like them

OP
OP
Elmosaurus

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great. I'm not so butt hurt now seeing that the struts only raise hood 3" higher than my sad prop rod.

Glad you like them
Thanks for the great deal on them. Very much appreciated! :cool:

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician