First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thx, I thought that had been bumped.

I'm a Tremor candidate anyway so I'm holding off ordering myself. But for the OP it shouldn't matter, folks have been ordering Broncos for months !
I believe that is just showing what production weeks they are scheduling for. They schedule quite a ways out. I hadn't heard or read any changes to the 2021 production schedule. I think originally it was going to start earlier in the year, but covid and the shutdown earlier this year changed plans.
Sponsored

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, replies inline below. Basically, i started with the same process...

==> How did you build 2021? Only 2020 build tool is available; 2021 Ranger isn't even listed on their site, that I can tell.
Either way I used the tool to come up with a 2020 build closest to what 2021 would be

2) You can then use Ford's dealer finder to find the dealers within reasonable driving distance of your zip, and then select the one(s) you want (one-by-one, but it goes pretty fast).

==> Yeah, this is where I started. I sent these PDFs to the sales managers as well.

3) I sent that build out to 10 dealers near me, plus a couple over in the GCV (Madera, Hanford - just because I have purchased from them before).

==> Same here.

4) 70% of them called within an hour and said they had exactly my truck in stock and when could I come in to buy it. My build is pretty non-standard, so I would ask them to send me a pdf or pic of the window sticker. Those contacts got ruled out pretty quickly as they gotta make 2020 sales.

==> They had 2021 in stock already?
That's surprising. All of the dealers I talked with only had 2020.
I think my build is non-standard, so special order is needed.

At the end of the day, you'll end up talking with the fleet manager anyway, so it might be faster to just call and ask to speak with him/her and then send over the pdf of your build if they're willing to work with you.

==> Good idea. Some other people also suggested directly talking to the fleet manager, so I'll give that a shot as well.

Good Luck :)

==> Thanks for the thoughts
Since when? I can assure you I bought mine through Costco and was connected with Livermore Ford who completed the sale. Unless Livermore Ford screwed up and lost their deal with Costco, I can't imagine why it wouldn't still be them.

Thanks for sharing that - I just went into Costco.com again to see if I would get the same result and this time it did point me to Livermore Ford - not sure what I did differently a week or so back.

Always great to have that option.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
:) - at the risk of making this hard to read......

Thanks, replies inline below. Basically, i started with the same process...

==> How did you build 2021? Only 2020 build tool is available; 2021 Ranger isn't even listed on their site, that I can tell.
Either way I used the tool to come up with a 2020 build closest to what 2021 would be

.....Yep, that's what I did - someone else posted the 2021 pricing sheets on here awhile back and the option numbers and costs pretty much the same except for the base truck. Let me know if you can't find and I'll go dig them out.

2) You can then use Ford's dealer finder to find the dealers within reasonable driving distance of your zip, and then select the one(s) you want (one-by-one, but it goes pretty fast).

==> Yeah, this is where I started. I sent these PDFs to the sales managers as well.

3) I sent that build out to 10 dealers near me, plus a couple over in the GCV (Madera, Hanford - just because I have purchased from them before).

==> Same here.

4) 70% of them called within an hour and said they had exactly my truck in stock and when could I come in to buy it. My build is pretty non-standard, so I would ask them to send me a pdf or pic of the window sticker. Those contacts got ruled out pretty quickly as they gotta make 2020 sales.

==> They had 2021 in stock already?
That's surprising. All of the dealers I talked with only had 2020.
I think my build is non-standard, so special order is needed.

.....No, they only have end-of-build-year 2020's that are "perfect" for me, except they aren't, so you have to get past that part of the conversation. ;-)

.....Like you, my build is not typically available from stock (XLT SCab, 301A, FX4, Technology, Spray-in Liner, Retractable Bed Cover....). A few of the sales reps did their best as far as their search would allow.

At the end of the day, you'll end up talking with the fleet manager anyway, so it might be faster to just call and ask to speak with him/her and then send over the pdf of your build if they're willing to work with you.

==> Good idea. Some other people also suggested directly talking to the fleet manager, so I'll give that a shot as well.

.....Yeah, hang in there, you'll find a dealer soon. PM me if you get stuck.

Good Luck :)

==> Thanks for the thoughts

dmpstrfyr

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
DoD Contractor
If youā€™re still looking for a dealership I highly recommend Elk Grove Ford. I can put you in contact with an amazing salesman if needed. Kind of a drive for you but with Amtrak itā€™s not so bad.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
how did you work around the fact that 2020 Rangers are still listed on build site?

edit - I am having the same problem as the original poster. Might just be this crazy year, but they sure want to sell me a crewcab even though I start off with "4wd Lariat supercab". Sorry for the duplicate question.
2020 rangers.PNG

.....Yep - someone else posted the 2021 price sheet here awhile back. The option numbers and values are largely the same, except the base truck is a bit more. Let me know if you can't find and I'll go dig it out. Not sure why it won't let you start over with the right base truck - maybe clear cookies, or try a different browser?

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I got ahold of a sales manager on phone, and request assistance from a fleet inventory manager (per some of your recommendations).
They are putting together a contract tonight/tomorrow, after giving me an initial MSRP quote.

1) If I have an X-plan PIN, should I mention this before the contract is sent out, or after it's sent out? Or does it not matter?
(There are a few options on where to get the PIN from, including from a friend who currently works at Ford, and another generous source)

2) On these forums people have suggested avoiding the first 500-600 vehicles of a new model. Given the covid shutdown, would you treat the situation the same as a new model, and wait a bit to order 2021? Or (in your opinion) fine to get an early vehicle? I have the option of ordering tomorrow for the first batch of 2021s.

3) For anyone else considering Costco Auto: they replied that they haven't certified 2021 Ranger yet, and probably won't until early 2021. So I wasn't able to continue with Costco; they were responsive, though.

Last edited:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I went to Future Ford Concord, CA, they were pretty decent as far as car dealers go. Was probably made better by the end of 2019 deals they had going on.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I got ahold of a sales manager on phone, and request assistance from a fleet inventory manager (per some of your recommendations).
They are putting together a contract tonight/tomorrow, after giving me an initial MSRP quote.

1) If I have an X-plan PIN, should I mention this before the contract is sent out, or after it's sent out? Or does it not matter?
(There are a few options on where to get the PIN from, including from a friend who currently works at Ford, and another generous source)

2) On these forums people have suggested avoiding the first 500-600 vehicles of a new model. Given the covid shutdown, would you treat the situation the same as a new model, and wait a bit to order 2021? Or (in your opinion) fine to get an early vehicle? I have the option of ordering tomorrow for the first batch of 2021s.

3) For anyone else considering Costco Auto: they replied that they haven't certified 2021 Ranger yet, and probably won't until early 2021. So I wasn't able to continue with Costco; they were responsive, though.
1) good news !

2) at this stage in the model run I wouldn't be concerned. More importantly, the last 9 months or so have reinforced my belief in that old maxim, "do it while you can". None of us know whats around the corner.

Enjoy your new Ranger !

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
On these forums people have suggested avoiding the first 500-600 vehicles of a new model. Given the covid shutdown, would you treat the situation the same as a new model, and wait a bit to order 2021? Or (in your opinion) fine to get an early vehicle? I have the option of ordering tomorrow for the first batch of 2021s.
At this point, you are unlikely to get a 2021 that is as early as the first 500-600.

I ordered just over a month ago, and have a build date in mid-January. Others here have mentioned later build dates. I'd guess your truck will be built in Feb or even March.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
setup a free google voice phone number and a junk e-mail address just for car buying purposes. I can use the GV app on the phone and it works just like a regular phone then

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm looking for 2021 only because I'm looking for a specific feature combination that I can't find -- and it's not possible to order 2020 anymore.
Part of the problem is that only dealer stock orders are being taken right now and customer orders aren't open yet. 2020 Ranger production ends this Friday, Dec 4; 2021 production is scheduled to start on Dec 7.
If you want a Ranger now, you may be able to reserve one that the dealer has already ordered. Some options and/or packages are not available yet "2021MY Ranger Tremor Off Road Package - The Tremor Off Road Package (91T) on the 21MY Ranger will not be selected for scheduling until further notice."

I'm with ya though, I made a spreadsheet with four different versions of one I want to order. My very competent salesperson at my Ford store can't help me further yet, but if the order banks open at 12:00, I'll get an email from her at 12:00:01.
Honest.jpeg

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter

The first 500-600 would be for a vehicle built in a plant that had a complete retool. The ranger line was retooled prior to the ā€˜19 model year. Any work being done between model years now will be strictly for maintenance. When a plant is retooled the time frame is short. The subcontractors who design and build the lines with everything involved (robots, cooling lines for tooling and the protective cages) are built offsite and completely disassembled, transported to the assembly plant and put together in a matter of weeks. The lines were run offsite to set up everything and they actually produce a fair amount of vehicles. Some are press vehicles some are displayā€™s and a bunch go right from the temp assembly right to the rail yard.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
If your in willing to drive to the Central Valley, I worked at big valley Ford for 6+ years. Iā€™m still great friends with the owner and all sales managers plus Iā€™ve bought my last 4 Ford there.
Let me know if you need someone there Iā€™ll be happy to get you in contact with someone that is happy to earn your business.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
This is pretty well known, but just in case...

Every Ford dealer can check the availability of any Ford vehicle that has not sold. Its physical location, and the options on that vehicle are available to your dealer. He just has to bring it up on his computer. If you are interested in an 2021 this is a good way to go. Be advised, the ordering dealer retains the "hold back" so your dealer may not offer as good a deal as you'd like -- and your dealer has to go and get the vehicle (or perhaps you can) or have it shipped.

A vehicle remains on this list until money changes hands. The dealer may have a down payment so the vehicle may not be available.

I did this with my '18 RS. Production had stopped and within 30 seconds my dealer found the closest one which was 300 miles away. This one was in WI, but he also found one in Chicago and another in St. Louis, both of which he deemed were too far away. I wasn't charged for the truck to get it.
Sponsored