GM is pulling the plug on gas and diesel by 2035

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
That "hybrid engine" in a freight train is a V-16 supercharged diesel engine, coupled to a generator to produce the power to the drive trucks to move it. There is NO battery reserve, shut off the diesel engine, no power!

Ask me how I know.
The point I was making is that it is a "hybrid" engine. You must be a hog head too.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The Tax is AND isn't a concern. If I swapped my fleet to be fully EV, I'm totally fine paying an alternate tax equivalent to what I would pay in gas taxes on my previous vehicles. However HOW they go about calculating it is a concern because WA/OR have considered tracking miles driven which I don't prefer. I think the best way to tax EVs should be based on weight (any vehicle for that matter) and during the time of registration. EVs are naturally heavy and vehicle weight accounts for road damage more than any other factor next to freeze/thaw.
I thought OR actually does track n tax vehicle miles driven. Depending on how the vehicle is tracked - it raises big brother concerns.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
EV batteries are commonly warranted for 8yrs and 100k miles, many are lasting longer than that and there continues to be large investments resulting in improving the technology - both from a performance and longevity standpoint, and like lead acid batts they are recyclable so eventually that should contribute to lower replacement costs.
Batteries are getting better and better. Who knows what we will have even 5yrs from now. I agree that batteries are recyclable, but the problem is, there isn't even close to enough capacity to meet the demand, so they end up trash. Plus recycling also uses a lot of energy. It's no different that the plastic, paper, etc that gets "recycled". A large percentage of it can't find a place to be recycled and just ends up in the incinerator. That's why there's the saying, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Recycle is actually suppose to be the last choice......because it's the least efficient choice.

Most electric cars are about 3-4 times as efficient as gas car so overall energy needs can be reduced.
I have to disagree on this. EV's are no where near that efficient if you factor in everything and arguably may not be any more efficient that a modern ICE.
A lot of EV vs ICE comparison reports are several years old and aren't valid today.
ICE's are a lot more efficient than they were only a few years back.

Last edited:

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Over the next decade will be the time to buy a big v8 muscle car if you don’t have one. The muscle car wars will not be around for ever.
Well, it will be.....just electric. ;)
I'm old enough to have the misfortunate of driving in the 80's. :puke:
Back then, I didn't ever think we'd see a fast car again, yet the current war puts the last big war (60's) to shame. I'm quite enjoying it.
The current Ranger would be a street king back at the drags in my younger days. That's why I'm so impressed with the 2.3. The 4 bangers I remember were so anemic you couldn't even go up a hill without your passenger having to get out and help push.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Batteries are getting better and better. Who knows what we will have even 5yrs from now. I agree that batteries are recyclable, but the problem is, there isn't even close to enough capacity to meet the demand, so they end up trash. Plus recycling also uses a lot of energy. It's no different that the plastic, paper, etc that gets "recycled". A large percentage of it can't find a place to be recycled and just ends up in the incinerator. That's why there's the saying, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Recycle is actually suppose to be the last choice......because it's the least efficient choice.
Oh - speaking specifically on lead acid batteries - over 90% of lead acid batteries are recycled and the lead used in new battery production, a good deal of that is ensured by core charges and state regulations as lead is known not to be good for people and other living organisms.

So why can't this be the case with lithium - which can be recycled, at one time lead acid batteries were discarded, but the negative impacts to putting it in landfills, plus the decline of mining of minerals associated with lead production - in the US has driven up the cost so it's very cost effective to recycle lead acid batteries.

I don't even think they mine for lead anymore in Leadville, CO , the smeltering of lead produces a lot of toxic emissions as well so not environmentally friendly.

Reactions: DHH

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, the fact is, all-electric is coming, sooner than we thought, and Ford will be a part of it for business reasons if no other--adapt or die. All of the problems discussed above are valid concerns, or most of them anyway, but they will all be solved and then some between now and 2035. I really want to stick with Ford and especially the coming generations of the Ranger, and so I really hope that Ford will get out in front of this thing, and fast, with hybrids, PowerBoost, and full E ASAP! (Just keep the power up so that we can enjoy riding into the future....)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Makes you wonder if there was ever a time when this country just did hard things instead of complaining about how hard they were.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I can see solar power plants set up everywhere. Raise them off the ground and grow mushrooms underneath, in the damp and dark cast by the panels. When it rains, collect the rainwater running off the panels to power hydrolectric generators until the sun comes back out. Use the discarded rainwater after it has exited the power generator to water the mushrooms, or to feed the local water system to a nearby town.

All kinds of things we can do that is more regional, and less central.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Funny that nobody has mentioned the elimination of toilet paper and bottled water by 2028 as a concern.:inspect:

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Funny that nobody has mentioned the elimination of toilet paper and bottled water by 2028 as a concern.:inspect:
T

This is a freight train, they are huge V-16 diesel powered generators. Each train that I deal with has five of these engines and 140 plus cars. There are electric engines, but they are not used on the open lines.
IMG_20201224_195601_294.jpg

I worked at a sawmill just out of high school and they had a piece of equipment for lifting large bundles of logs, LeTourneau log stackers. It also had a diesel engine that was coupled to a generator that powered an electric motor at all four wheels.
download.jpg
Anyone that has ever seen Demolition Man has no concern about TP ?, we’re ready! ?
973D3339-B23A-4312-A095-F6E45E7432B9.jpeg

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ok, I'll add another direction. The real environment saviour will need to be a different energy source other than electric (based on our current knowledge of electricity generation).
It may be nuclear power IF they can ever figure out cold fusion (or nuclear fusion). As everyone knows, nuclear power is splitting atoms. Energy can also be created by fusing the atoms back together. However, at this point in time fusion uses more energy than it creates. If they can figure out the fusion process, then we would have an eternal source of renewable energy.

(....and before someone calls me on it; yes, I know energy can not be created. "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed".)
Sponsored