GM is pulling the plug on gas and diesel by 2035

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Ok, I'll add another direction. The real environment saviour will need to be a different energy source other than electric (based on our current knowledge of electricity generation).
It may be nuclear power IF they can ever figure out cold fusion (or nuclear fusion). As everyone knows, nuclear power is splitting atoms. Energy can also be created by fusing the atoms back together. However, at this point in time fusion uses more energy than it creates. If they can figure out the fusion process, then we would have an eternal source of renewable energy.

(....and before someone calls me on it; yes, I know energy can not be created. "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed".)
I'm still waiting for this to happen.

In 1954, the Atomic Energy Commission chairman predicted that within 15 years nuclear power would make electricity “too cheap to meter.”
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
"At this point" and "today" are the key phrases I'm seeing in a lot of your statements. A lot of you guys not onboard with this are thinking in the PRESENT. All GM is doing with this statement is setting a goal for the FUTURE.
It's coming and it's pretty obvious. The hard part is that most of us today have misty water colored ICE memories.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still waiting for this to happen.

In 1954, the Atomic Energy Commission chairman predicted that within 15 years nuclear power would make electricity “too cheap to meter.”
little did they realize that they had sown the seeds of demise by their own children...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
My first step away from ICE is probably going to be this:
sur-ron-colorado-header.jpg

Sur Ron X Dirt Bike. 40 miles range in Eco mode, and about 25-30 if driven balls to the wall. Top speed about 50, and has enough power to make it up reasonable inclined hills. It's kind of a mutation - not quite an E-bike but not quite a full electric dirt bike either. It's made up of half custom motorcycle parts and half beefy downhill mountain bike parts. Reasonable price: $3800, Fun: off the charts. Has a pedal option so if you run out of juice you can still get home.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My first step away from ICE is probably going to be this:
sur-ron-colorado-header.jpg

Sur Ron X Dirt Bike. 40 miles range in Eco mode, and about 25-30 if driven balls to the wall. Top speed about 50, and has enough power to make it up reasonable inclined hills. It's kind of a mutation - not quite an E-bike but not quite a full electric dirt bike either. It's made up of half custom motorcycle parts and half beefy downhill mountain bike parts. Reasonable price: $3800, Fun: off the charts. Has a pedal option so if you run out of juice you can still get home.
This is pretty awesome looking. I've had 2 different e-bikes on my radar for trailing and hunting

The 1st is the Ranger e-bike from QuietKat, mainly bc of the name but also because it's a very capable machine
https://quietkat.com/product/2020-ranger/

The newest one I've learned about is a Grunt Volcon. looks to be alot more rugged
https://volcon.com/grunt/

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This is pretty awesome looking. I've had 2 different e-bikes on my radar for trailing and hunting

The 1st is the Ranger e-bike from QuietKat, mainly bc of the name but also because it's a very capable machine
https://quietkat.com/product/2020-ranger/

The newest one I've learned about is a Grunt Volcon. looks to be alot more rugged
https://volcon.com/grunt/
That second one looks like the Honda’s we use to use back in the 70’s. For the price you could use one of them and make it electric for like 2K

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
So many countries main lifeblood is oil exports... you will see many different countries react differently to this change in the demand for oils...

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My point is that they should’ve been allowed to fail as the free market determined. Just as any other business would’ve, and is, allowed to fail (especially during COVID).
Yes they should have. Very much so. But then we are dealing with the same breed of tech bullies who convinced Uncle Sam that mercury-filled bulbs were better for the environment than good old fashioned incandescents.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Considering states are doing rolling blackouts just because everyone is running their air conditioners I think we have a long way to go before we will have all electric cars.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Considering states are doing rolling blackouts just because everyone is running their air conditioners I think we have a long way to go before we will have all electric cars.
It isn't just demand - I was told that our power company will be doing rolling blackouts during wildfire season because downed power lines were the cause of many wildfires and power companies are getting sued because they didn't shut off the lines during periods of high danger.

I'm glad I got a generator, although it won't run our A/C which is becoming increasingly important to have.....

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They better have a plan to overhaul the whole countries electrical grid first. Just a look back at CA this past summer where they had more rolling blackouts and were telling people to shut their ac and high consumption appliances off during peak hours. Now picture the whole whole country mimicking this? :facepalm:

blackout.jpg
Reality is not their concern-virtue signaling is.